[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>see book i want to read in a language i can't read >take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 450x342) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 450x342
>see book i want to read in a language i can't read
>take out the only translation in my library
>it's shit
>find a pdf online of a different translation
>it's shit
>research on different translations, find one that is said to be fantastic by people who's opinion I respect
>find pdf online purporting to be this translation
>get halfway into the book before realizing it isn't even the translation it claims to be, but is instead a far less acclaimed one
>i finally give up and just pay for the edition i'd been looking for
>mfw it's unbeliavably better than the one i'd almost finished
>mfw i have to start the story over from the very beginning
>>
what book?
>>
>>7515201
the iliad. read it a very long time ago so i didn't remember much of it and decided to reread it since i'd enjoyed it so much.
>>
What language?
>>
>>7515236
Really? The fucking Iliad? Jesus Christ.

What translations did you read?
>>
>>7515302
the one from the library was s translation by michael rick, while the one i thought to be the translation i'd read the first time i'd read the iliad was by samuel butler. the translation i'd been looking for was the one by fagles.
>>
>>7515312
Fitzgerald translation is the best, IMO.
>>
>>7515326
i'll read it once I finish fagles' translation. thank you for the recommendation, though, anon.
>>
>>7515312
>the translation i'd been looking for was the one by fagles.

Really? Where were you looking for it that you couldn't find?
>>
>>7515332
Lattimore has some acclaim on here too.

Lattimore, Fagles or Fitzgerald it seems are the three main choices.
>>
>>7515338
i was trying to find a free pdf of it but failed horribly
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.