[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else love Kafka on the Shore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 4929.jpg (58 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
4929.jpg
58 KB, 308x475
Anybody else love Kafka on the Shore?
>>
yuh-huh-i do

do you like othello
>>
File: mk3.png (551 KB, 1296x1272) Image search: [Google]
mk3.png
551 KB, 1296x1272
>>
>not even the best Murakami
>>
I loved the scene when the retard says to the police officer about the murder and then warns him about the fish rain

I think this and the wind up bird chronicle are the ebst options to reccomend to someone who has not read murakami
>>
it's one of his better ones
>>7516137
why does everyone like wind up? that's the one where murakami started getting real fucking samey for me.
>>
>>7515055
oh wow even the old shitty flowchart is better than this turd
>>
>>7516141
What murakami books did you read before the wind up bird?

for me it's when he perfected the style that always uses. Kafka in the shore and colorless are different from the books before
>>
>>7515055
how was After Dark surreal?
>>
pleb general?
>>
>>7515034
We actually studied this book for three months in my high school IB English class. Reading Kafka on the Shore was probably the most enjoyable literary experience that that class had to offer.
>>
>>7516316
Anything involving Eri Asai?
>>
Anything by Murakami is just a joy to read. Kafka On The Shore was probably my first introduction to serious literature.
>>
>>7515034
I'm about 100 pages in. I love philosophy, but I feel that so far, all the themes are a bit superficial. The prose is fine, not too bad/not too great, and the narrative is intersting; but I suppose I'm just hoping for something more than a cheap thriller - am I being to hopeful?

The book is fun I suppose, but I get this bizarre urge that I'm wasting my time unless it's a classic. Probably because I don't read nealry as much as I'd like, and want to catch my way up through the canon.
>>
>>7517558
This is also important: is the Hegel pimp done well? I bought the book for this.
>>
>nobody ever mentions Dance Dance Dance
>>
>>7515055
after dark wasn't that surreal. the rat trilogy should be in the surreal section.

not a terrible flowchart. 7/10.
not bad.
>>
>>7517675
Those books all fit the bill for sure, but I have a hard time recommending somebody jump into the Trilogy of the Rat (and Dance Dance Dance) prior to reading After Dark / Wind-Up. I think the four are an impressive effort and explore how relationships develop with age, but Pinball / Wind are somewhat unpolished and not necessarily representative of the larger body of work.

I get that After Dark is *less* surreal than many of the other works, but it's worth reading early on. I'd say the top five works are probably the best (or most accessible) works that would give the reader a sense of how to continue.
>>
is IQ84 good, lads??
>>
got bored about 15 pages in
>>
>>7517563
It's not the pimp, but the prostitute who quotes Hegel.
>>
>>7516205
Wild Sheep Chase, Dance Dance Dance, and Norwegian Wood. When I got to Wind Up it was pretty easy to see that everything in there is a rehash, dull and twice the length.
And I'd argue Colorless is a failed imitation of Norwegian Wood's tone.
>>
>>7517789
It's overly long for what it is.

>>7517931
I wouldn't necessarily call Wind-up a rehash because the context is entirely different, IMO.
>>
>>7517963
>marital problems
>"just a regular guy" protagonist
>searching for someone/thing
>prostitutes
>regional history
wild sheep chase
>metaphysical other dimension fuckery
>young loli not-love interest
>some more prostitutes
>dark foreboding tone
dance dance dance
>marital problems
>"just a regular guy" protagonist
>searching for someone/thing
>prostitutes
>regional history
>metaphysical other dimension fuckery
>young loli not-love interest
>some more prostitutes
>dark foreboding tone
>spaghetti
Wind Up Bird
>>
>>7517931
>>7517996
you know that AWSC and dance dance dance have the same protagonist right?

thw wind up bird is more a continuation of those books after Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World it's not like the books before he made.

also, i think you're wrong in thinking that "searching for something" is rehash, you're just using a theme used in a lot of works of fiction. If something, it's repetitive that Murakami always uses cats and jazz on everything.
>>
>>7518035
you get me wrong, I'm trying to illustrate how Wind Up felt like a rehash after having read those.
>>
When is his next novel? I hope it's not as big of a failure as his last two.
>>
Will he ever create his own Brothers Karamazov?
>>
>>7515034
I didn't like the "combine these disparate elements in any way that you choose to make your own meaning" theme of the novel.

Also I thought the end with Nakata was kind of mundane and dull after all that happened.
>>
>>7518099
funny
>>
Hear the wind sing and pinball just got spanish translation this year. A wild sheep chase got it in 1992 and never reprinted again at all. Now, it's so rare that it was $400 on amazon a few months ago
>>
>>7517730
both pinball and wind should be read last if you're desperate for more of the author's work. they're nowhere near as good as everything that came after but not terrible. I disagree about the rat trilogy. a wild sheep chase and DDD are a good sense of the author and doesn't require piball to be enjoyed.

I'm one of the few people who thinks after dark is one of his best. there is a paragraph describing life moving forward with the new day that's one of murakami's best.

I think surreal/down to earth is a great split.

I think the relationships is another good split but doesn't work for a good flow chart for the author. he's got good books and even better books with and without the focus on them.

not saying this is a good one either but potentially his narrative voice changes for the first time in after dark. before that you get a very similar voice in 1st person perspective in every novel before that. after dark...then 1q84...the colorless...they're all different. especially with 1q84 with the jumping around in perspective.

why is colorless tsukuru on the surreal side?

anyhow just some random thoughts that hit me.
>>
File: skull.jpg (121 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
skull.jpg
121 KB, 500x407
What is your favorite Murakami?

For me Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world. I watched Haibane renmei a few years ago, and then read on some blog about being inspired by the mentioned book. I kinda felt dissapointed when realizaed that only the world was inspired by it,and the theems and characters where so different, but I liked the book for what it was.
>>
Does anyone have a zip with all of Murakami in it or otherwise able to point me in the direction of one? I have some physically but I just got a kindle m8s so I'd like to fill it.
>>
>>7515034
Just finished reading it a few weeks ago. I couldn't do anything but think about it for a week when I was done, it really hit me hard. I tried to start another book a few days later and just couldn't so I read it again.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.