[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How well conceived is the Barnes and Noble Classics edition of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 9781411432376_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg (15 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
9781411432376_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg
15 KB, 260x400
How well conceived is the Barnes and Noble Classics edition of the Iliad? What kind of reader is it tailored for?
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 854x703) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 854x703
Start with the Greeks
>>
>>7514997
I already have.
>>
I did
thebean plays
apology
illiad

it this dumb?
>>
>>7515086
Did you read them all silently? If yes, then it was very dumb.
>>
>>7515092
hahah
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3240x3600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3240x3600
>>7514997
At least post the updated version holmes
>>
aren't B&N Iliad/Odyssey in prose?

if so, it's tailored for dweebs
>>
>>7516173
>reading en entire textbook on greek life before being able to read bibliotheca and hamilton's mythology
my god. who does this
>>
>>7514984
Just buy a book that's either an essay on it or a study of it (The Iliad) and read the book on Wikipedia Commons you retard
>>
>>7516959
an* whoops, sorry
>>
>>7516959
So you don't care about history, or the culture behind the works you read? Get the fuck off my board pleb; you are the disease
>>
"well conceived" what the fuck does that mean?

who does the translation, what type of translation is it, that's what you should be asking

if it's not Pope's translation put it in the fuckin garbage
>>
>>7517009
of course i do. but expecting someone new to greek literature to start by reading a textbook (something that will most likely intimidate them of even starting with the greeks in the first place) is pretty ridiculous.
>>
File: 1337621351794.jpg (163 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1337621351794.jpg
163 KB, 600x600
>not reading Homer's original manuscript
>reading mass-market translations
>>
>parents notice me reading hamilton's mythology, tell them about plan to start with greeks
>for christmas they get me a very nice hardback iliad/odyssey volume, very thoughtful of them tbqh
>it's butler's prose translation

Probably gonna keep this one on a shelf and get lattimore from the library or something. Will butler ever be worth reading through or is this book just aesthetically pleasing trash?
>>
>>7517153
i wouldn't call butler great, but it's readable.

i think lattimore is good but very literal. fagles is like lattimore but with more bombastic use of words and reads a bit easier in modern day.

one you don't hear about often is pope. it's poetry is incredibly beautiful in it's own right. it's less literal than lattimore or fagles, but it's wonderful poetry and probably evokes what it must have been like to hear in the original ancient greek.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.