[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it correct to start a statement with "when"? Example:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 467872634723.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
467872634723.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
Is it correct to start a statement with "when"?

Example:
When I arrived at the house he didn't even say hello to me.
>>
File: pritty baby.jpg (34 KB, 474x701) Image search: [Google]
pritty baby.jpg
34 KB, 474x701
>>7514889
>When I arrived at the house, he didn't even say hello to me.
that'll be 5 btc thank you in advance
>>
No, it should be "What I arrived at the house he didn't even say hello to me." Since house is an object, you use "what" instead of when. If you had used a time like this, "When I arrived at 10:30," then it would be appropriate, but with your sentence you must use "what."
>>
>>7514915
I know I shouldn't take the bait, but....

His sentence is fine. 'When' is an adverb adjunted to the clause 'I arrived at the house'. It's NOT modifying 'house'.
>>
>>7514901
oops, forgot the ","

>>7514935
I'm arguing with a guy that says that starting a statement with "when" is incorrect. I have some grammar books, but none of them say anything for or against it.

Personally, I think it's correct, since even the guys who wrote this book do it (on unrelated topics, sadly). But English is not my first language, so I started doubting.
>>
>>7514901
Shouldn't be any commas in that statement pleb lord
>>
>>7514955
I wouldn't worry, it's perfectly fine. Even if you find some insane logic arguing against it in a dusty old grammar, I wouldn't take such arguments seriously.
>>
File: diatoms.jpg (700 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
diatoms.jpg
700 KB, 800x800
>>7514964
if you're telling me that the OP's sentence is more correct than mine then I'm telling you to set yourself on fire
>>
>>7515001
Just say the statement out loud faggot.

Only an autist would pause right there. Maybe you should put the whole thing in quotes. Then it would be correct, because you are autistic.
>>
>>7514901
>>7514889
I'm thinking it should be "when: I arrived at the house; he did not even say hello to me?".--
>>
File: mondays are....png (11 KB, 304x120) Image search: [Google]
mondays are....png
11 KB, 304x120
>>7515008
set yourself on fire
>>7515009
that should be an em dash, not two hyphens....idiot
>>
>>7515064
that should be an ellipses, not 4 periods...dick rag
>>
>>7515064
Kek, sorry for giving you an ass-blasting.

In the future try not to give people advice on grammar without knowing whether you are right or wrong.
>>
>>7514901
$2000 for a comma
>>
>>7515001
How can you stand to read Joyce if you are this disturbed by a missing comma?
>>
Similar question:

“Let’s see if we can make a bit of sense of this,” an itinerant businessmen was bleakly saying, bent over his mobile phone two tables away, with clipboard, legal pad, gaping laptop.

Is the clause introduced by "bent" parenthetical and so appropriately set apart by a comma? Or would it have been better to use a period and start a new sentence.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.