[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is morally wrong to eat meat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 10
File: 134741358226771 (1).jpg (382 KB, 898x1474) Image search: [Google]
134741358226771 (1).jpg
382 KB, 898x1474
Is morally wrong to eat meat?
>>
Yes. It's a habit that causes unnecessary suffering to concious beings.
>>
I think so. Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop though.
>>
No.

Read Kant.
Then read Singer and laugh at him.
>>
File: 1365718189977.jpg (10 KB, 149x154) Image search: [Google]
1365718189977.jpg
10 KB, 149x154
>>7514269
It's Necrophilia and Necromancery

Really though: In ground beef: you got a little bit of everything in there; and at that, it's dead, you eat it, it becomes living with you, BAM: Fuckin Necromancy!

Anyway, chow for now, lots of love and such, take a knee take a crutch I'dd see y'all in my tonights slurred twilight hutch

And hopefully some more bites of my dutch
>Gehoor niet hebzucht
>>
>>7514269
Yes.
>>
Depends on if the animal was killed for you or not.

t. Gautama
>>
If everyone stopped eating meat, all livestock animals go extinct or become endangered, because we'd have little reason to keep them around.

I eat meat because I CARE about these animals
>>
yes. I still do it though because I am morally weak.

>>7514328
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>7514269
Yes, but most people don't think their single role in the factory farming system doesn't matter or "add up" to any real change, so they just keep buying into it despite the horror that it has grown into.

The take from writers a hundred years back doesn't mean much. Hunting, though not ideal, is a very different creature to factory farming which creates a lifetime of abuse of resources and living creatures.
>>
>>7514328
We we don't stop eating raising livestock conventionally we will literally destroy our environment.

Vatgrown meat and cows at the zoo are the solution.
>>
>>7514338
Fuck my double-negative.
>>
File: 1446768125842.jpg (15 KB, 232x246) Image search: [Google]
1446768125842.jpg
15 KB, 232x246
>>7514341
>global warming is real
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7514359
It's fucking up the environment in a number of different, proven ways, Pepe.
>>
>>7514269
is eating plant life immoral? what about the flora and fauna in your gut that is killed en masse by your body every day? shut the fuck up with that morality shit. just eat whatever. like you'd stop eating meat if you were certain it was immoral anyway.
>>
I believe so, especially with current factory farming practices. Even if you don't care about inflicting suffering on non-humans, the environmental impact is staggering.

And even if it's difficult, I believe that living in line with my ethical principles trumps brief moments of selfish pleasure. I am in control of my actions, as are you - and no number of excuses will negate the consequences of those actions.
>>
File: farm.jpg (86 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
farm.jpg
86 KB, 620x372
>>7514359
Turning the entire world into livestock farms has more consequences than climate change, anon.
>>
File: plants_have_feelings_too.jpg (666 KB, 5364x6005) Image search: [Google]
plants_have_feelings_too.jpg
666 KB, 5364x6005
>>7514273
>pretends to understand consciousness
>thinks that plants don't feel pain
>watches as anon literally eats the babies of plants while pretending to be moral
>>
>>7514390
Your views of morality are childish and adolescent like this entire thread. There's nothing immoral about eating meat or vegetables in regards to the plants and animals, but it is immoral to yourself to eat meat as you are damaging your body. Meat is dead when you eat it but plants are still alive.
>>
>>7514407
>you are damaging your body. Meat is dead when you eat it but plants are still alive.
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
File: kek.png (218 KB, 576x449) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
218 KB, 576x449
>>7514407
>poser thinks he understands the nature of morality
>bitch ass tryin to reveal truths that he doesnt even know
>tfw anonigga be locked in subjective prison
>>
>>7514294
Are you schizophrenic?
>>
You'll have first to make the case that any eaten animal is a moral being. I don't think that is the case as feeling pain is not sufficient to be a moral agent.

However, I would argue that we should limit our consumption of meat.
>>
>>7514294
Zelfs voor een Nederlander/Belg ben je erg onsamenhangend.
>>
>>7514390
Plants have no central nervous system. And if you did in fact believe that plants were capable of suffering, more plants are used to feed animals than the equivilant for humans. Aaaanyway, rather than continuing arguing with a troll, for any anon curious about vegetarian and vegan responses to the most common arguments, here are some links:

http://yourveganfallacyis.com/en

http://www.vegansidekick.com/guide
>>
It's not eating the meat that is bad, it's the method for acquiring it that can be wrong/bad. If a deer passed away naturally in my backyard, I'd eat it.
>>
>>7514269
Yes, but my body needs animal protein. Nothing personal. I can breed as many animals as i like. How many do you need?
>>
>>7514366
>hurr what about bacteria???
Tumblr tier argument, mate.
>>
>>7514269
Of course.
>>
>>7514461
>no counterargument to Kant
Of course.
>>
>>7514413
This is what qualifies for trolling on /lit/ nowadays? Glad I ditched this community.
>>
There is nothing intrisically wrong with eating meat. It is wrong, however, to support industrial farming as it causes animals a ridiculous amount of suffering and it destroys the enrionment. I don't eat meat, but I would hunt if it was convenient for me to do so.
>>
Is morally wrong to have sex with your progenitor?
>>
>>7514269
/lit/ - literature
>>
>>7514526
Not if it is voluntary. However this is a disaster on a biological basis.
>>
Yes. We have no need to eat meat any more.
Death for no reason is murder...
>>
Are there any great writers who were vegetarians?

Were there any great contributors to humanity who were vegetarians?
>>
File: 1450862655833.jpg (211 KB, 460x1840) Image search: [Google]
1450862655833.jpg
211 KB, 460x1840
>>7514461
>quantifies life
>pretends to know the nature of consciousness still
>doesnt know that ferns can be "knocked out" with ether and use electrochemicals to send messages throughout their bodies
>>
>>7514483
>my body needs animal protein
So did mine, because animals are the only source of protein, but I've been a vegetarian for six years and tragically I died of protein deficiency three years ago.
>>
Eating meat is an activator of the masculine, competitive, violent and aggressive side of your psyche.

Eating fruits and veggies is....
>>
>>7514537
If I kill someone to steal their stuff, I haven't committed a murder? Nice

>>7514540
>Are there any great writers who were vegetarians? Were there any great contributors to humanity who were vegetarians?
Yes. Hitler.
>>
>>7514547
2spooky desu senpai
>>
>>7514540

Tolstoy, Kafka, Shaw, potentially some of the Greeks, Plutarch
>>
>>7514564
Forgot Pope and Gay
>>
>>7514553
How is high school?
>>
>>7514269
I don't know. Depends if you're a slave moralist or not.
>>
>>7514540
Tolstoy, Plato, Voltaire, Tesla, Pythagoras, da Vinci, apparently Kafka, Bernard Shaw and Einstein was towards the end of his life.

>>7514554
Hitler wasnt a vegetarian. Nice to see the propaganda of goebbels is still going strong.
>>
>>7514540
Isac Newton
>>
>>7514577
It can be pretty shitty, but don't worry, things will get better afterwards. You may be scared when you first start as a freshmen, but things will get better as time goes on. And if you really hate it you can just drop out and forget about uni. Higher education may be strenuous on someone like you.
>>
Watch Earthlings, Cowspiracy and Forks Over Knives, anons. Veganism is the future.
>>
>>7514553
Why would I want to activate my aggressive and violent psiqué like a fucking pleb?
>>
>>7514328
Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction. Tell me. What's worse? Cows, pigs and chickens go extinct or hundreds others continue to go extinct every year.
>>
>>7514621
You wouldn't. Only a pleb would.

Meat eating is primitive and retarded.
>>
>>7514294
I make mince meat sometime where i work as an unskilled butcher.. The shit we mix in sometimes makes me just not want to eat it. Not that it's anything bad, but mince meat will be filled with anything else fleshy and no one bats an eye. Just so long as they keep the fat % relatively close to the desired amount anything goes.
>>
Civilization is morally wrong
>>
>>7514808
Derrick Jensen, please.
>>
>>7514494
>Ditched this community
>Still posting on this board

Nice try
>>
>>7514269
Depends on your morals. Are you a good and fair person?
>>
>>7515167
Depends on how you define good and fair.
>>
>>7514359
I wish the reactionary 4channer memer would die
>>
>>>/ck/
>>
>>7514341
Let's see what science has to say about all this:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm
>>
>>7514389
See: >>7515536
>>
>>7515536
we also need vatgrown veg desu
>>
>>7515536
that's because yanks try to grow lettuce in the desert
>>
>>7515245
Bahahaha what? Being skeptical of climate change is "reactionary" oh boy this is a leftist cess pool
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 300x321
>>
Being against climate change is reactionary to be honest.
>>
I don't know. It is morally wrong to disagree with me though.
>>
>>7514269

yes. not enough resources to continue it and it is really poorly executed. there is not a single excuse for continuing meat eating other than "lmao bacon!!11!" and "pussy vegans haha bro"
>>
>>7515719
>there is not a single excuse for continuing meat eating other than "lmao bacon!!11!" and "pussy vegans haha bro"
This, so much. Also, I see a lot of the "Vegans throw their self-righteous shit in everyone's face all the time" yet most of the vegans I know keep it to themselves until eating actually happens and then people overreact as if they're offended on a fundamental level that this person chooses not to eat animal products.
>>
>>7514269

It's more wrong to kill a chimpanzee than it is to kill a cockroach.

Given the choice, I will consume food from the source with the least sentience.
>>
>>7515728

yeah i largely avoid telling people about vegetarianism because its just hassle having to go over their shit arguments and terrible jokes
>>
>>7514269
Depends, what are your morals?
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 380x380
No but it's wrong to spam the /lit/ section of a Burmese dating site with your inane vegan bullshit. Hang yourself, faggot. Books or GTFO
>>
>>7514407
you can either stop baiting or just learn science.
>>
>>7515719
This post is filled with ideology to be honest.

I eat meat because I enjoy myself eating it. That is a single and sufficient reason if you do not implicitly assume that everyone subscribes to your save the earth liberal humanistic values.
>>
>>7515784
>enjoy
>if you do not implicitly assume
What pure ideology.
>>
>>7515832
You said it, pure, not tainted with a sad post-modern excuse for a grand narrative where the greatest ideal people can agree on is not to fuck the environment up too much and so on.
>>
>>7514269
Yeah. Causing suffering is wrong, we don't know if animals can suffer, but it's likely they can, and we don't require their meat to survive, so we should abstain because it is possible they can. It's such a blindingly obvious conclusion to anyone who admits that suffering is wrong, to those who don't all the more power to you.

Not that I'm a vegetarian lol
>>
>>>/his/
>>
i just want to say to any anon reading this and considering the topic: even if you don't want to go full vegetarian/vegan, reducing your consumption of meat helps. small effort is better than no effort, and it is understandable if it takes you awhile to rework your lifestyle. just consider it, and honestly ask yourself why or why not - and if that answer is good enough for you.
>>
>>7514269
No, I don't see why it would be.
>>
Define morality.
>>
what in the fuck does this have to do with literature?

fuck everyone who posted in here, please go to /his/
>>
>>7514269
Who cares.
>>
>>7515935
what in the fuck does this have to do with history?
>>
>>7515958
Go to the board.
>>
I went vegan a few years ago and haven't looked back. My reasons for doing it have changed as I've learned more about it.
At first I was only interested in trying it out, just to see what it was like. I felt physically much better and I lost a lot of excess weight in the next few months. My only problem with it ever is that eating became a more difficult thing to do, finding something to eat is genuinely difficult pretty frequently, especially because I don't have a ton of money. I don't miss the taste of animal products and I feel that I'm much healthier (my doctor agrees).
Reading about my diet I've realized also how terrible the production of animal products is for the environment. I recognize that climate change is one of the greatest issues to humanity and I'm not selfish enough to allow myself to further this; rather, I will do all in my power to mitigate the problem.

Now, my opinion is that the decision to eat meat is fundamentally a moral one. It's sad to see so many people so diametrically opposed to a change in lifestyle that is beneficial to everything. You're not participating in the meat industry, which is nothing less than torture. Maybe someone will offer the "they're less conscious" or "le broccoli screams" (not true) arguments. I don't think we can draw a line for consciousness being a determinant of life-value. I think all life is fundamentally valuable. I recognize that plants are living things and my response to this is that I have to eat something to not die. Yes, maybe it is selfish. I draw this line, however, I think, at such a point that I minimize the amount of suffering that I cause.
>>
>>7515941
sanctimonious cunts who unironically support bernie sanders, post on reddit, and think reading richards dawkins and watching cosmos makes them somehow superior to all religious people (except muslims of course, since they're an oppressed minority group).
>>
Depends. Was the animal killed ethically? Was it killed with respect and consideration of suffering?
>>
One of the good things about reading Nietzsche is you don't have those questions on your conscience anymore.
But yeah people who eat meat and have regular modern morals are pretty hypocritical. It's in their nature though, so I don't blame them.
>>
>>7515980
I remember in pervet's guide to ideology when Zizek talks about how when the Germans made documentaries about Jews the things they said were actually contradictory, like "they live in filth" but at the same time were over-intellectual and elitist. They did this because it was sort of just a place where all their dislikes could be in one place in an appealing way to hate. Convenient, sort of. Like how the shark in Jaws became a bunch of contradicting symbols in different reactions to it.
It's interesting how this post does that with reddit. Richard Dawkins and the other new atheists are pretty islamaphobic by the standards of the latter type of people you describe who think Muslims aren't in large part incredibly homophobic and sexist etc.
>>
>>7514269

Yes. It's morally wrong to do a lot of things, just forgive yourself.
>>
>>7514341
How about people raise their own goddamn meat, or communities for that matter. It's the large scale farming that's the problem.
>>
>>7514537
Are you retarded? Did you leave humanity behind anon? As far as I know we do not have a product that perfectly mimics meat in every way. You silly little sheep, I bet you think there's something wrong with humans eating meat aside from the factory farming.
>>
>>7514618
No, it's not.
>>
>>7514269
I guess it depends on how much you value reducing suffering and what kind of suffering you deem important.

The vegetarian argument is usually that it's wrong to eat animals because they feel pain. Meat eaters usually argue that it's a sliding scale of intellect, which is kind of repulsive imo but whatever. It's not like I don't eat meat, but I'd definitely say vegetarians are better people in that respect than non-vegetarians, just like I'd say charity workers are better people than non-charity workers in that respect.
>>
>>7515719
There are more than enough resources to continue to eat meat, just not in the same way that we currently do. Imagine if all meat was sourced from local small farms or even raised by the family itself. There would be less strain on resources AND a likely decrease in the consumption of meat. On top of that we would have a healthier human race because we wouldn't have chemical-ridden meat.
>>
Not as immoral as predator shaming
>>
I don't get why people online become to nutty whenever not eating meat gets brought up. I just hide the fact that I am a vegetarian in light of that.

As for whether eating meat is immoral? Yeah, obviously. It's also (generally) terrible for the environment.

Not eating meat is kind of retarded though. Ideally most people would just practice self-control and find some sort of compromise. Until you mongoloids get around to doing that on a wide enough scale I'm going to suffer meatlessly to offset the damage you do.
>>
Depends on what you think is immoral.
>>
yes most of the time. especially from taco bell/mcdonalds/tyson foods. that being said, vegetarians and vegans do not 'help' anything. it's purely a personal choice. you aren't 'changing the world' or anything by not eating meat. i'm a vegetarian just because red meat is p nasty to eat and think about. chickens kind of disgust me too. basically the best thing you can do diet-wise to 'change' anything is just avoiding a lifestyle that affirms the 'red meat, sugar, alcohol' fixation of our society
>>
>>7516233
So what will you do in the mean time?
>>
File: murrica.jpg (51 KB, 404x500) Image search: [Google]
murrica.jpg
51 KB, 404x500
>>7514407
So, you're saying we should be eating animals while they're still breathing
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.