[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"I'm going to bed" >I'm going to bed down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
"I'm going to bed"
>I'm going to bed down
>I'm going to my bed
Which is correct? Is bed a verb or a noun?
>>
File: 94f.png (283 KB, 680x450) Image search: [Google]
94f.png
283 KB, 680x450
hey nice
>>
>>7514030
I assumed this was a shitpost but whoah
>>
It's a noun. It seems like it could be a verb in this sentence but you'll find there's no other context where that works.
e.g.
>I'm going to speak
>I'm about to speak
>I am speaking
>I will speak
vs
>I'm going to bed
>I'm about to bed
>I am bedding
>I will bed
>>
>>7514030
bed down is a phrasal verb, bed is a noun
>>
>>7514121
>tfw you are bedding
>>
>>7514121
another example: court (i.e. a court of law)
>I'm going to court
>I'm going to court now
>I'm going to the court
It's a noun in all three cases
>>
File: 1462374578497.gif (790 KB, 245x169) Image search: [Google]
1462374578497.gif
790 KB, 245x169
>>7514094
Nice meme
>>
>>7514121
But if it's a noun that doesn't make sense.
"I'm going to cook" is not
>I'm going to oven
and "I'm going to sit down" is not
>I'm going to sofa.
>>
>>7514135
Not if you're going to court a maiden.
>>
>>7514137
It's because certain nouns don't need to be preceded by "the" or "a", and that makes them look like verbs. "Oven" and "sofa" both are not in this category. Words like "bed" and "court" (as I mentioned) do not need "the" or "a" to come before them. I'm not sure what the rule is here exactly, but there are lots of examples, i.e.
Nouns that need articles before them:
>The sofa, the oven, the store, a cake, a restaurant
none of these could be misconstrued as verbs because verbs never have articles before them.
Nouns that don't need articles:
>Bed, court, hell, heaven...
(They're all places, i've noticed. This is also the rule with most place names that are proper nouns)
Some people might at first glance think these are verbs, but that's just because there are no articles before them.
>>
>>7514134
pls no gerunds these monolingual plebs have it hard enough

>je vais coucher
>je vais au lit
>>
>>7514154
I'll assume it's the case that there isn't a rule, it's just English being English.
Okay, thanks for the explanation.
>>
>>7514146
I know. That's why I clarified.
>>7514157
>assuming people are monolingual because they don't speak a language that would corroborate a claim about english grammar
>acting superior even though the only other languages you speak are those that are closely related to english
pleb
>>
>>7514162
>>assuming people are monolingual because they don't speak a language that would corroborate a claim about english grammar
you don't understand english grammar because it makes a distinction between the infinitive and prepositional "to". hell, english still has a dative case and you probably get assblasted about its use
>assuming i speak languages only related to the one you barely understand despite it being your native tongue
kekekekekeke you're pleb even by 4chan standards which are light novel level lowly
>>
I'm going to go to bed.
>>
>I'm going to bed down

Huh
>>
ima sleep
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.