[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This place seems to be all about the history of ideas and continental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1446758986194.jpg (72 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
1446758986194.jpg
72 KB, 500x498
This place seems to be all about the history of ideas and continental philosophy.

Why is there little to no analytic philosophy? Why no discussion of the articles and arguments of Bertrand Russell, Rudolf Carnap, W.V.O. Quine, R. M. Hare, Saul Kripke, Jaakko Hintikka, Simon Blackburn, Hilary Putnam, Alan Gibbard, Wlodek Rabinowicz, and many others?

What? To hard for you?
>>
>>7511833
lmao get off /lit/ nerd
>>
File: 1450030765349.jpg (159 KB, 1440x1264) Image search: [Google]
1450030765349.jpg
159 KB, 1440x1264
>>7511833
>Why is there little to no analytic philosophy?
cause that shit's for fags
>>
>>7511833
Too boring to be honest. At least continentals know they're sophists and go for entertaining nonsense. Analytics pretend to be scientists and go for entertaining nonsense.
>>
>>7511833
>Bertrand Russell, Rudolf Carnap, W.V.O. Quine, R. M. Hare, Saul Kripke, Jaakko Hintikka, Simon Blackburn, Hilary Putnam, Alan Gibbard, Wlodek Rabinowicz
who are they?
>>
analytic philosophy is for manchildren

continental philosophy is for big-dicked studs, like me
>>
>>7511833
all that autistic garbage belongs on /sci/
>>
I can only get an erection to black girls
>>
>>7511833
>trying to be right
what's -wrong- with you?
>>
>>7511833
This does show up sometimes but is part of other discussions. A Wittgenstein thread, for example, or a trolley thread. Instead of complaining about a lack, you can remedy it.
>>
Sometimes people have nice lil' discussions about logic and analytic philosophy, but it's not common. It's just that this place is full of plebs who care about how bombastic a statement is rather than its plausibility.
>>
>>7511889
You think you've got it bad, I've been getting big into chastity. I can only get an erection when I'm not allowed
>>
>>7511833
http://static3.existentialcomics.com/comics/atTheBar.jpg
>>
>>7511838
Her legs are too small to balance out her ass.
>>
>>7511833
>Bertrand Russell, Rudolf Carnap, W.V.O. Quine, R. M. Hare, Saul Kripke, Jaakko Hintikka, Simon Blackburn, Hilary Putnam, Alan Gibbard, Wlodek Rabinowicz

Russell is the only name on your list that I recognize, and I happen to be a philosopher. So you tell me
>>
>>7511944

Hume was wrong, tho.
>>
>>7512107
low tier bait, carnap, quine and kripke are p famous even in undergrad courses.
>>
File: 1436735905516.png (436 KB, 498x516) Image search: [Google]
1436735905516.png
436 KB, 498x516
Analytics are like the drunk man who only searches under the streetlight for his keys because that's the only place that is well lit.
>>
>>7512192

Well that means nothing to me, because I never took any philosophy classes.
>>
>>7512216
ok
>>
File: ....jpg (12 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
12 KB, 500x321
>>7512107
>>7512216
>I happen to be a philosopher
>I never took any philosophy classes
>>
>>7512232

Do you not understand the concept of a prodigy? We don't all need to have someone hold our hand. Some of us are capable of picking up a book and grasping its contents without assistance.

You think taking philosophy courses makes you a philosopher? You think teaching philosophy courses makes you an authority on the subject?

Spare me this routine.
>>
>>7511849
let's see it big boi
>>
Probably because this is /lit/ and analytics don't write literature? Go to /his/ for analytic threads.
>>
>>7512182
nah, he wasnt 2bh
>>
>>7512268
This meme
>>
>>7512303

This non-response

I'm not interested in taking philosophy courses today for the same reason I wouldn't have been keen on taking economics courses in the Soviet Union.
>>
>>7512315
Yeah, because not a single philosophy professor in the country has anything to offer any student at all. Even if you did take that ridiculous position, it's healthy to get out of your own ass every once in a while and hear why people disagree with your readings of texts.
>>
>>7512340

I'd rather converse directly with the author of those works than hear a secondhand interpretation of them by someone who isn't even capable of understanding them in their original language.

If I want to know what a particular philosopher thought, I consult them directly. An intermediary source only adds obscurity and idiosyncrasy.
>>
>>7511833
They're all pretentious humanities majors and despise anything that reminds them of their crushing inferiority in face of the BSC (big STEM cock)
This apparently includes rational thinking
>>
>What? Too hard for you?
Yes, that's the true reason. Also that most kids don't bother with it.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.