[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AAAHHH HEMMINGWAY HELP ME
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: joyce490[1].jpg (130 KB, 490x350) Image search: [Google]
joyce490[1].jpg
130 KB, 490x350
AAAHHH HEMMINGWAY HELP ME
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hkov3QcCpQ
>>
>>7511098
I watched the whoel thing btw
>>
>>7511098

Fuck off Sam leak us some of you adult swim shit
>>
>>7511135
I wonder if that's even getting made at this point :(
>>
>>7511092
>HEMMINGWAY
*Hemingway

Also, does anyone else feel Joyce is overrated af?
Ulysses may be a masterpiece, may be THE masterpiece, but everything else he wrote ranges from passable to garbage.
>>
>>7511339
POFTAAYM?
>>
>>7511339
go back to reddit
>>
>>7511356
Aside from all of Chapter One in Clongowes, the long religious sermon, and maybe the last couple of lines, I found Portrait dense and hugely tedious. By the end, I didn't really care what happened to Dedalus.
Besides, Portrait is hardly the definite masterpiece that Ulysses is. I know plenty of Joyce acolytes who dislike it, Nabokov for example.

>>7511357
>waaaaa stop having different opinions to me
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7511339
The Dead, tho.
>>
>>7511377
I mostly agree with this random article on Finnegans Wake that I found.

>http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2012/07/12/what-make-finnegans-wake/

The Dead is obviously a masterpiece but, although it is certainly good, I could take or leave a lot of the rest of Dubliners.
Besides even though Dubliners is good, Joyce isn't acclaimed for being good. He's meant to be a master, but he only has one masterful work.
>>
>>7511386
Written by Michael Chabon, LOL.
>>
>>7511386
i''m sorry you neither understand nor appreciate literature. i feel sorry for you but i have to agree with >>7511357
>>
>>7511408
I presume that "understanding" and "appreciating" literature will be impossible for me until my opinion is exactly the same as yours. Grow up.
>>
>>7511425
joyce has been scrutinized and studied for decades by people who are more intelligent and more well read than you, and he is still acclaimed as a master.

but no, i'm sure you're just a superintelligent ubermensch who sees past all the pretense and trappings of conformity, here to explain to use why joyce is totally overrated. you go, special snowflake.
>>
>>7511446
Nice appeal to authority faggot. Sorry I insulted your favourite writer.

Anyway, you're incorrect in assuming that all of Joyce's works are accepted as masterpieces. Ulysses aside, Joyce has no other unanimously praised book. Even if one accepts that Ulysses is a masterpiece, if all of Joyce's other novels are mediocre, does that make him an overrate writer?
>>
File: kUpVtGD.gif (277 KB, 240x287) Image search: [Google]
kUpVtGD.gif
277 KB, 240x287
>>7511463
I dont have to listen to you slandering the great name of Jimmy Jammy Joyce. Prepare for combat
>>
>>7511479
Wonder what James Joyce thought of Adolf Hitler.
>>
>>7511479
damn nice graphic interchange format file, you mind if i save it?

I actually love Joyce, I've lived in Dublin since I was four, and when I first read Ulysses, I used to go over to Joyce's tower in Dun Laoighre, or go to Hodges & Figgis bookstore on Dawson Street and just think about the book. I really love it.

With that qualification, Joyce's other two novels (Portrait and Finnegans Wake) are incomprehensible to me. One god-tier masterpiece and a few middling novels is not really grounds to be worshipped as Joyce is.

>>7511494
Ezra Pound was like his agent during the early 1910's, maybe he converted Joyce to fascism like he converted Eliot to anti-Semitism...
>>
>>7511514
Also, Yeats (kind of a Joyce precedessor when it comes to fame, first Irish winner of the Nobel Prize) was an avid supporter of the Irish fascist movement - The Blueshirts.
We have to remember, that Joyce was very critical of Yeats' and Eliot's poetry and was a free thinker too. I think, that he despised Hitler.
>>
>>7511386
Presumably 'being a master' has little to do with consistency and more to do with the heights one reaches.

If someone is able to create a masterpiece then they are a master. Doesn't matter if not all of their works are masterpieces.
>>
>>7511530
>Also, Yeats... was an avid supporter of the Irish fascist movement
No shit, where did you read that?

When we did Yeats' political poems in school (September 1913 and Easter 1916), I always used to give out about how erratic Yeats' politics seemed to be, basically changing his opinion in accordance with whatever Maud Gonne's opinion happened to be. It wouldn't surprise me to hear Yeats was a Blueshirt sympathiser.

As for Joyce, I do remember reading that he despised the language revival movement in Ireland, and was pretty indifferent to the Rising. I think he possibly associated politics - or an overtly political style of writing - with the type of Ireland that he fled from.

>>7511532
Maybe so. Consistent greatness would certainly be a part of my definition of a master though.
>>
>>7511530
This

Joyce went out of his way to paint nationalist movements as pathetic attempts at a return to culture that was entirely romanticized/mythical.
Just look at the fenian 'Cyclops' in Ulysses, says everything.
>>
>>7511560
Well, during his later era (somewhere around 1930's) he became an outspoken supporter of O'Duffy. For a while at least.

And when it comes to Joyce - he described himself (well, Dedalus) as a person trying to "fly above the nets of religion, nationality etc." and having a mind which "rejects the whole existing social order", so I would say that, besides having a critical opinion on the Rising, Hitler and so on, he kept himself away from the politics, trying to make ends meet and transcend the world by writing Finnegan's Wake.
>>
>>7511494
i don't know about Hitler but he didn't give a fuck about WWII
>>
>>7511580
>At least for a time, he imagined himself to be a chief counselor to the leaders of the Blueshirt movement. He was particularly close to D. A. MacManus, gray eminence of the group who was instrumental in the election of General O'Duffy, a former head of police, to the leadership of the Blueshirts. Several times MacManus arranged meetings between O'Duffy and Yeats, during which the poet lectured the thug on the importance of an ordered society.

I suppose you have to consider that it was a different era, and that O'Duffy helped found Fine Gael, so the Blueshirts weren't as disreputable as they are painted.

Still, I generally don't believe poets should concern themselves with political goings-on. Politics always has a vampiric effect on art.
>>
>>7511620
Well, that is true. Yeats didn't sink deep in fascism as Pound it. Yet, I consider Pound to be the superior poet anyway.
>>
>>7511370
Of course you brought up Nabokov
It's literally impossible for someone to rip on Joyce without bringing up that Russian pedophile
Maybe form your own opinions you fucking moron
>>
>>7511630
I agree that Pound is probably the superior poet, although he's a good example of why poets shouldn't pre-occupy themselves with politics. Whether Pound was right or wrong, I don't think you can argue that his politics had a beneficial influence on his art.

Interestingly, Yeats and Pound actually lived together during WW1 (which I think is referenced in the Cantos). Yeats had the atypical and slightly ironic opinion that poets shouldn't write about the war, which influenced Pound's ideas about poetry and politics.

>http://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/10/books/the-odd-couple-pound-and-yeats-together.html?pagewanted=all

>>7511641
It's only because he's one of the few well-respected writers who criticised Joyce. It's quite hard to find writers confident enough to speak out against any part of the Joyce myth. And the ones who do are either pleb (Roddy Doyle) or contrarian (Nabokov).
Anyhow, I agree people should make up their own minds, but that doesn't mean blindly accepting that everything Joyce did was great (or even good).
>>
>>7511377
Why do you like it?
>>
>>7511339
Yeah, and Cervantes only had Don Quixote. Ulysses is just that good. You can't overrate the writer of Ulysses.
>>
>>7511514
You found a way to both acknowledge his greatness yet still come across as contrarian.

I have to say, I'm impressed.
>>
>>7511098
is sam hyde just /pol/ with enough ambiguity added for plausible denial?
>>
>>7511687
What I'm essentially asking is whether one masterpiece makes a writer a masterful writer.

If the answer is no, I think it follows that Joyce is overrated, since he's constantly acclaimed as a master and yet three-quarters of his work is hardly masterful.

I'm not denying that his greatness exists; I wouldn't trust a reader who couldn't see the greatness in Ulysses. However, if Ulysses is the jewel of Joyce's canon, perhaps its beams have illuminated the less precious metals surrounding it?

>>7511686
But if you bake one great cake, you're not necessarily a great cake-baker.
>>
>>7511717
you are essentially a fukk boy ass nigga
>>
>>7511098
There's no chance he doesn't browse 4chan.
>>
>>7511788
obviously he does, how else would his constant viral marketing happen?

>>7511717
if you bake one of the greatest cakes of all time, you're unambiguously a genius cakesmith, whether or not your remaining opus comes anywhere near its eminence.

Do you have any argument as to why Finnegans Wake isn't a masterpiece? (yes I know Borges/Nab/most critics have snarky quips on it)
>>
>>7511092
>Hemmingway

Is a revival of /lit/'s glory days nigh?
>>
>>7511793
>obviously he does, how else would his constant viral marketing happen?

I mean just base on his content. In the linked video he says COME ON ITS 2015. All he does is spew 4chan memes.
>>
>>7511092
The Dead is one of the best short stories ever written. I dislike all of Joyce's long-form works.
>>
>>7511800
he also says cuck/beta a lot, lots of basic /pol/ and /int/ humor
>>
>>7511800
Same poster 30 min into the linked video. It's clear Sam at least lurks /pol/, /tv/, /k/, and /mu/. I lurk those boards and if he doesn't it's the biggest coincidence ever.
>>
>>7511816
he's just piggybacking on 4chan jokes and ideas, he has no thoughts of his own. MDE wouldn't exist if he wasn't obsessed with 4chan's depiction of tumblr
>>
>>7511834
Yeah, I pretty much spend all day on 4chan and he literally seems like "4chan the person". All of his ideas come from here.
>>
>>7511814
The fact that he uses the cuck meme without any knowledge of its origins is upsetting to me.
>>
>>7511930
(you won't find its actual origins on KYM or in a Google search btw)
>>
>>7511947
well now I'm curious. I see lots of cuckposting late 2012 on r9k from the archive, but are you referencing something in particular?
>>
>>7511800
he actually made that video (red ropes) before the 2015 shit became a meme
>>
>>7512015
The video linked in this thread was uploaded yesterday. When did he record it?
>>
>>7512025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EActHOQq0bI

JUN 17 2015

heard it from this video first
>>
>>7511143
it won't get made if they find his podcast
>>
>>7512041
p-p-p-p-podcast?
>>
>>7512030
I'm pretty sure the 2015 meme was going on here by June.
>>
>>7511980
Like several 4chan memes (including extremely old ones), it originated in FYAD, where it was posted a lot back in 2010 or so. But apparently he doesn't know that, meaning he never posted/lurked on FYAD at the time, which is a bit disappointing, as I always thought his style of humor was similar to/influenced by theirs.
>>
>>7512051
well it's not 100% confirmed but sounds a LOT like sam
>>
>>7512056
I can believe that.
>>
>>7512066
My dad works at MDE
>>
File: 1448337023001.jpg (22 KB, 399x295) Image search: [Google]
1448337023001.jpg
22 KB, 399x295
>>
>>7512074
Is he there Fashin coordinator
>>
>>7512100
that would be the fall river MA thrift store scene my man
>>
>>7511834
Sam only got pre-occupied with tumblr because he became some sort of ethnonationalist earlier this year in response to the refugee crisis. Before that the channel wasn't as overtly political and the humour was more subtle.

chances are he'll calm it down in the next 6 months, the pilot is supposed to be airing sometime in the second quarter and it wouldn't look good if people see a quirky new satirical sketch show on Adult Swim and when they go to check it out on Youtube they find a bunch of obliquely hateful rants shot on an iPhone.
>>
>>7512141
and that is why he is doing a podcast
>>
>>7511092
Just put a godamn period in there and end that fucking sentence
>>
>>7512141
One of his most popular videos is an anti-gay tirade in fronts of a bunch of hipsters and that's from 2 and a half years ago so...
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.