[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
which one do i read first? 1. women & men 2. infinite jest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 220x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 220x324
which one do i read first?
1. women & men
2. infinite jest
3. grav rainbow
4. brothers k

pls respond
>>
>>7509379
W&M is almost two times longer than IJ.

Start with that
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
brothers k, then gravity's rainbow. The rest are good but not really essential
>>
Read Infinite Jest five times.
>>
>>7509384
isnt it only like 100 pages longer?
>>
who the fuck cares

fuck off
>>
>>7509393
W&M is about 850k words. IJ is about 540k. Not quite twice, but still a solid chunk longer.

>>7509379
IJ, then GR, then 2666, then BK, then W&M.
>>
>>7509379

You start with Tundra just like everyone else here did.
>>
>>7509379
Read Dostoyevsky's better works, both shorter works and long novels, along with a story collection and an essay collection by Wallace. Then read TBK and IJ alongside each other, noting the influence of the former on the latter.
>>
You should read Brothers Karamazov and dump the rest
>>
>approaching women and men when you haven't even touched those other novels
are you fucking retarded
Women and Men was harder to read than fucking J R
>>
2666 -> The Recognitions -> Women and Men
>>
>>7509407
Are newfags just now finding out about this
>>
>>7509379
brothers k->gravity's rainbow->infinite jest->2666->women and men
>>
>>7509433
Agreed, don't touch Women and Men until you are basically through the entire fucking Western Canon
>>
Start with the one closest to your current location
>>
To everyone here who has read Women and Men: does it live up to the hype? I'm reading 2666, and I've heard nothing but good things about Gaddis, but Women and Men is a commitment on a whole different level.
>>
Absolutely 2666, enough said
>>
>>7510151
It's rubbish.
>>
>>7509379
Women & Men is incomprehensible as well as one of the longest novels in history. If someone tells you they've read it, that person is not to be trusted. They don't actually like to read books, they just like to finish them.
>>
what makes w&m so hard to understand? is it the prose? ive heard that there is a part of the book narrated by a bird and stuff like that.
>>
File: Artamène_ou_le_Grand_Cyrus.jpg (16 KB, 200x351) Image search: [Google]
Artamène_ou_le_Grand_Cyrus.jpg
16 KB, 200x351
>>7509379
read pic related instead
>>
>>7510151
No one here has actually read women and men. Seriously, try and find a copy
>>
>>7512436
I have an epub, and from the first few pages I've read it seems very very good. The writing is excellent.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.