[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
File: infinite_jest.jpg (527 KB, 1024x1584) Image search: [Google]
infinite_jest.jpg
527 KB, 1024x1584
>>
Is this a literal meme book?

I mean seriously, the only people I know who discuss it is /lit/, and even then people just make jokes about it. It has no serious criticism about it has won no worthy awards, and has no admiration from important literary figures at all.
>>
>>7508404
form your own opinion nigger
read it yourself
>>
File: 1443373923817.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1443373923817.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>7508396
>>
is it worth reading for non-americans?
>>
File: dfw3.png (1 MB, 1173x925) Image search: [Google]
dfw3.png
1 MB, 1173x925
>>7508404
John Green likes it.
>>
File: discerning.png (463 KB, 997x840) Image search: [Google]
discerning.png
463 KB, 997x840
No, sir, none.... It's remarkable. No talent at all.
>>
>>7508404
But thats actually false you idiot. It was a big deal when it came out 19 years ago and still is.

I get so triggered when I see people say shit like this or "people only care because he killed himself", like it wasn't a big deal in the 12 year period between it's release and his suicide.
>>
File: graca_infinita_HL.png (1 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
graca_infinita_HL.png
1 MB, 1200x800
>mfw the portuguese edition
Neat.
>>
>>7508596

It looks cool, but does it still make sense in another language? I imagine it's similar to Joyce, in that it's so idiomatic and English-centric that it wouldn't make sense in any other language
>>
MEME
E
M
E

This is the worst meme on this wretched board
>>
File: 1448152175098-0.jpg (432 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1448152175098-0.jpg
432 KB, 1920x1200
>>7508607
I don't know, i haven't read it.But i plan to read it some time,since everyone but /lit/ says its a good book.
>>
Has anybody actually read this book besides Harold Bloom?
>>
>>7508619
No. I don't even think his editor read it. I think he just flipped through the manuscript like the robot in Short Circuit 2, took a look at the author, and was like "Yeah, wee can sell this to college kids. Can you wear a bandanna?"
>>
>>7508596
I had no idea this had been released in Brazil
>>
>>7508607
You must keep translating it in your head as you read. I only got the best of it on the second run, with the original version on an .epub file on a laptop next to me to clear up doubts. Then I read the first chapter again. Loved every second. Laughed at the Sir Osis of Thulliver and the cross-eyed-girl-who-could-see-two-sundays-on-a-wednesday just as hard as if I'd read as it first came out.
>>
>uses a comic style
>llolololmemebookmemebook
>>
>>7508716
It's not a comic book. It's a novel.
>>
>Wardine be cry

I had to read that entire chapter over like 40 times. I still don't get what's happening. Some kind of abuse?
>>
>>7508937
Let me help you out: Wardine was crying.
>>
>>7508986
No, she BE crying, which according to niggerammarians means her practice is that of crying as a regular occupation. The whole chapter is about her being a crybaby trying to lead Roy Tony into goo-goo tampon crybaby sin.
>>
>>7509012
Do not be racist in front of me.
>>
File: Mooy.jpg (463 KB, 2988x2538) Image search: [Google]
Mooy.jpg
463 KB, 2988x2538
>>7508413
I read it and I am not from the USA. I think being from that country would have made a great difference. Overall 6/10. Decent, lengthy and boring, sometimes funny. I would re-read it for better comprehension.
>>
>>7508593
>It was a big deal when it came out 19 years ago and still is.

What makes it a "big deal"?

They hyped it up in the media and the author's done interviews because he had a quirky personality and was very intelligent, I admit, but that doesn't make it the last great classic novel or anything near that. Now the hype has died down and the people who discuss it the most deeply is /lit/.
>>
>>7509451
>Now the hype has died down and the people who discuss it the most deeply is /lit/.

It's true that things happened in American literature and the world in general since IJ came out, but academia is still very much concerned with it. You can't do turn-of-the-century or post-modernism without stumbling on DFW.
Or do you mean "discuss" as in newspapers or tv? because if that's the case fuck you.
>>
> cross-eyed-girl-who-could-see-two-sundays-on-a-wednesday

C R I N G E
>>
>>7508607
Joyce is still great in some other languages.
>>
>>7508396
Great writer, mediocre book(like all his nover-length fiction)

Read though of course you end up becoming yourself and watch his interviews on youtube. Then read his essays,

Sharp and astute mind but seriously, skip his fiction.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.