[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
humour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Any books, articles on mechanics of humour, joke semiotics? What is there, besides the setup and the punchline, that succesful comedians have at their disposal?
>>
>>7508324
Timing.
>>
>>7508324
Timing.
>>
>>7508324
Repetition.

I mean timing.
>>
Comedians are always ugly or at least unconventional looking.
>>
>>7509989
This guy! I like this guy!
>>
>>7508324
To be fair, "setup" is vague and broad as fuck. Within setup you have timing, which to me is the single most important thing. Anything can be made funny with the right timing.

I never got the thing for punchlines though, I never liked them very much, or maybe I'm just missunderstanding what a "punchline" means.
>>
>>7508324
You could always start with "Semantic Mechanisms of Humor and Ontological Semantics", by Victor Raskin. There's a whole back catalog of the "Humor: International Journal of Humor Research" journal, too, which he edits - but his book elaborates more on ambiguity, which I guess would be the more practical side you're interested in.

But analysis thoroughly kills the joke. Freud warns as much in "Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious". There was a photo in TIME, back in the 70s, of this humor conference where half these suppose Phds were photographed snoozing and drooling.

Jokes are really just self-contained and concealed outbursts of blind rage. If you want laughs, the real heavy kind, go for the backbone and cripple them with something racial. That's the real anxious point nowadays.
>>
>>7509989
Please marry me!
>>
>>7509952
>>7509979
top kek
>>
Subversion
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.