[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Word Usage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 443x332
Which is better/more used?

Representant or Representative?

Is more used=better in this case? Which form is more common? Which form should be used in regular conversations? Which form do you use?
>>
>>7507759
'Representant' is used in many european languages as noun, while 'representative' is only both a noun and an adjective in english.

If that leads you anywhere.
>>
What's the context? I don't think I'd ever use representant, and if you intend it to refer to a person who represents another, I'd use representative.

If you mean a thing whose role is to represent something else, I'd probably use representational as an adjective or even representative still, although the latter alternative feels a little like an anthropomorphism. Being-a-representative feels like something people primarily do, although I know it's not the case.

Seriously, who says representant?
>>
>>7507801
My Professor commented on this, and the sentence was

"Mr.X is a Representative of the Movement"

He asked me to use Representant because it's "better". He just kept telling me it was better and never gave a conclusion.

>>7507782
Thanks, but that didn't help.
>>
>>7507813
The 'help' was meant to be a hint that if it's different in english, it's (most likely, at least in practice) for a reason. I'd stick with representative any day, no idea what's up with your professor.
>>
>>7507814

>The 'help' was meant to be a hint that if it's different in english, it's (most likely, at least in practice) for a reason

the reason is what evades me.

I've been looking up uses of those two words and I really don't know what he meant by it. That's why I made this thread.
>>
>>7507813

He wanted you to use representant for one of two reasons either it helped the sentence structure and made it flow easier, and/or Mr. X has resemblant characteristics of the movement he is a representant of, then it gives you a chance to say two things in one way, wow so much depth such reading into things.

Ideally you would write
"Mr. X represents MovementName."

it is common to use "As a representative" to justify a later action
eg. "As a representative of the Movement, Mr. X felt it within his purview to cuck my professor."

I've never really seen Representant use, it sounds completely obtuse and potentially confusing.
eg. "I am a representant representant of the Movement." is a perfectly valid sentence, which you would never fucking use.

I prefer emissary, dignatry, ambassador, delegate, consul, envoy, over representative, so many other words that give you a fuller meaning and are more pleasant to read.
>>
>>7507813
Is your professors first languange English? Honestly, as a well-read native-speaker, it sounds "correct" but odd and inelegant and, therefore, not correct. It sounds downright archaic and stilted. I mean, it appears in the dictionary, but I've never heard it used. It appears to mean the exact some thing as the more familiar "representative."
>>
>>7507856
to clarify obviously representative could also allow the same play on words, but consciously using representant when its not in common usage makes the reader read more into it. It sticks out in the mind more.

Of course if your professor is French, then he is just being a retard who doesn't understand English.

>Mr. X est un representant de la Movement
Mr. X est un representatif de la Movement

Mr. X est representant de la Movement
>Mr. X est representatif de la Movement

The greentext lines 'sound' better in French. Maybe in other languages too.
>>
>>7507759
Use representant for nouns, unless specifically talking about government. Use representative as an adjective. Can't go wrong with that.
>>
>>7507885
This is why I asked if his professors first language is English. "Representant" looks so much like the French participle, I assumed that though "correct" it's probably archaic in English. I bet it predates representative.
>>
>>7508042
>>7507885
>>7507858
No, he's Russian or something, I don't know. He has a very slight accent.

>>7507856
One of the reasons I was a little surpised was because I haven't really heard "representant" being used much.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.