[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What authors have a very distinctive style, and what makes their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1440056550796.jpg (717 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1440056550796.jpg
717 KB, 2560x1440
What authors have a very distinctive style, and what makes their style distinctive?
>>
>>7506807
Dickens. I hate it.
>>
>>7506807
Gass. The way he arranges sounds in complex, beautifully structured sentences makes his writing instantly recognizable.
>>
>Samarago

the way he writes without punctuation, and the exhaustive yet fascinating descriptions of small things, oh that's a very nice author said marie seven moons, this kind of style i can get into and our protagonist just smiled forever.

>Conrad

Each sentence is a complex beat, like a tribal drum in the darkness of the jungle, marking the rhythm of the dance of life.
>>
You can spot a McCarthy sentence from a mile away

>That night they were visited with a plague of hail out of a faultless sky and the horses shied and moaned and the men dismounted and sat upon the ground with their saddles over their heads while the hail leaped in the sand like small lucent eggs concocted alchemically out of the desert darkness. When they resaddled and rode on they went for miles through cobbled ice while a polar moon rose like a blind cat’s eye up over the rim of the world. In the night they passed the lights of a village on the plain but they did not alter from their course.
>>
File: Claude Simon.jpg (122 KB, 825x1229) Image search: [Google]
Claude Simon.jpg
122 KB, 825x1229
>>7506807
Claude Simon, but that would be hard to explain since I read his books in french and I have no idea of how his style was transposed in english
>>
>>7506807
>What authors have a very distinctive style
Tao Lin
>and what makes their style distinctive?
it's shit
>>
>>7506849
Ramble like a geriatric old fuck with a fetish for description and phobia of periods. Oh, and replace every comma possible with 'and'.
>>
>>7506868
I forgot to add that I actually love it. . .
>>
File: Bloy.jpg (38 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
Bloy.jpg
38 KB, 600x455
Fantastic verve, archaisms and violence.

>he's not francophone
>>
>>7506807
Borges
>>
>Tolkien

restrained & deft use of archaisms (metaphors, word choices), heavy on descriptions of the animate natural world, clear & detailed but 'incomplete' prose which provokes/invites the reader to complete the text by using their experiences and imagination (especially with worldly imagery, which is often deceptively simple and underdeveloped)
>>
>>7506957
please can you give examples of this 'incomplete' prose
>>
>>7506870
If you just take 30 second pauses for each full stop (period) then it's just like your grandpa tucking you in and telling you war stories.
>>
File: schopenhauer.jpg (11 KB, 200x230) Image search: [Google]
schopenhauer.jpg
11 KB, 200x230
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.