[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to study film, I need good theory books.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: bernardo-bertolucci-luna1.jpg (258 KB, 903x620) Image search: [Google]
bernardo-bertolucci-luna1.jpg
258 KB, 903x620
I want to study film, I need good theory books.
>>
>>7506723
Infinite Jest
>>
>>7506723
The Quintessential Tarantino: Dont Go To Film School, Go To Films
>>
Film school s for pretentious twats.
>>
>>7506723
I don't know of any books but read Armond White and that guy from The New Yorker. They're the only two critics I know of that are worth listening to. White gets very political but he's great with words and absolutely merciless all the time.
>>
Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema by Mulvey (feminist and queer theory)
anything Tom Gunning- early film history
From Caligari to Hitler
stuff from Sight and Sound
Metz "The Imaginary Signifier"
>>
>>7506723
Film Directing Shot by Shot Visualizing from Concept to Screen
by Steven D. Katz
>>
Robin Woods books on horror films are great too.
>>
File: Imagen 35.png (152 KB, 338x362) Image search: [Google]
Imagen 35.png
152 KB, 338x362
Mh... right now I'm not at home and can't really look around to see. Some generic recs would be:
>Anything by Einsestein
Although has last book is undoubtedly the best. He pretty much figured out everything you can do with montage and had an incredibly expanding vision of audiovisula narrative way ahead of his time. He was about to do a film version of Ulysses before he lost his eyesight (and Stalin's interest) and he got to take acid with Joyce. That alone should make him a /lit/ hero
>Sculpting time
On the other hand, Tarkovsky explored everything you could do with a single shot. It's pretty interesting and will help you see how film relates to other arts.
>that hitchcock interview book by truffaut
It pretends to be an interview but it's pretty much a history of how both of them worked the medium, cool stories and interesting points of view.
>that book by bazin oh god my memory sucks
Bazin pretty much invented film criticism, the different ways you can deconstruct each item and compare it to others. It's a bit dated but it's a very important first step into being able to translate to concepts everything you see.
>Audiovision
The first and best book about sound in film, it will help you realize how present and varied sound is and the different uses it can have.

I'm very sorry, I'm sure that there are extensive threads about this in warosu.
>>
>>7506858
oh it shows
>>
>>7507279
Seconding Metz, he doesn't get 1% of the love he deserves. You should complement him with some of the people who took his theories and expanded them but is the best first step for film semiology. Film Language: A Semiotics of the Cinema might be a better read than TIS but it's all good.
>>
>>7507308
>Sculpting time
Also worth a mention that Tarkovsky was at odds with montage. It's a good book, but even better if you hold the same values as Tarkovsky.

>that book by bazin oh god my memory sucks
What is Cinema vol. 1 & 2? It's alright. Siegfried Kracauer's Theory of Film is a more comprehensive book. They both act as a slightly introspective film history more than anything, still worth the read.
>>
>>7507331
I think people should be able to understand what Tarkovsky thinks even if they don't fully agree with him. He does a decent case and at the very least you come out a little bit convinced of what he's saying.

I've never read Kracauer, maybe it's hard to find in spanish or something. I believe it's healthy to understand film history if you're gonna trye and create or understand the present. There's the old saying of knowing the past to avoid mistakes but it also sets the ground for new ideas.

Should I try to find Keacauer? It's a nice book to read just for enjoyment?
>>
>>7507317
Yeah you're right, I was just thinking TIS is shorter, it's really dense but a crash course pretty much in gaze theory. It might be helpful if you plan on reading him to brush up on some Lacan too, mainly the mirror moment.
>>
>>7506723
Don't. Film is just a medium. Created and studied by people versed in philosophy, literature, and art. Focus on those and you'll know more than everyone who went to film school. As Orson Welles said "I don't like cinema, I like making it"
>>
>>7507554
I don't wanna go to film school, I study literature but I'm not sure where to start with movies. I feel like I have no other knowledge but from watching movies, I have no idea where to start
>>
>>7508057
get a camera and shoot something
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.