[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noir reading club
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 223.jpg (57 KB, 736x787) Image search: [Google]
223.jpg
57 KB, 736x787
Can we start one of these next (not this) weekend? The first three books can be The Big Sleep, The Postman Always Rings Twice, and The Talented Mr. Ripley.

What books would you guys like?
>>
you can try, but it'll fade to nothing within a week.
>>
>>7505526
True, the Big Sleep isn't really that good either. I mean I guess if you're into that sorta thing it is but it didnt really have me in suspense.
>>
>>7505600
There are plenty of thrillers, but I wouldn't read Chandler for plot or tension, I read him for the prose and the humor. I mean, The Big Lebowski is more comedic, but otherwise it's a pretty good adaption of Marlowe.
>>
File: _MG_2344 - copia.jpg (11 KB, 174x220) Image search: [Google]
_MG_2344 - copia.jpg
11 KB, 174x220
>>7505507
That guy looks like one of my college professors.

pic related
>>
>>7505693
Billy Bob Thor ton?
>>
>>7505622
I agree that Chandler is best read for the prose and atmosphere. Also the characters. Not in the sense of great character development, but just that his stories have a lot of oddball characters.

I think if you like Chandler and want something with a more satisfying and suspenseful plot, you should check out Ross MacDonald if you haven't already. His early Lew Archer stories are totally derivative of Chandler, but they are still great, and once he found his own style, I think he surpassed Chandler. More prolific and better mystery plots IMO.
>>
>>7505507
OP, I like the idea. I think those are three good choices. I've already read Big Sleep and liked it a lot. It's not my favorite Chandler, but it's the obvious starting point. I own Postman, but haven't read it yet.

Future books suggestions I would make would be Jim Thompson. His books are fairly short but there are quite a few.

Also Hammett. Nightmare Town is a good story/novella.

And also James Crumley. He's more recent, but he's one of my favorite authors
>>
File: gs.jpg (63 KB, 432x721) Image search: [Google]
gs.jpg
63 KB, 432x721
>>7506075
I think Jim Thompson (whom Stanley Kubrick was very fond of and had write the screenplay for The Killing) or Cornell Woolrich (who wrote Rear Window), are the noir writers I'd go to for thrillers.

Haven't read Ross McDonald, but I'll check him out.

Some of Jim Thomspon's work (remarkably, his greatest work, the Killer Inside was a shitty movie) was also adapted into great film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-aSj4uiR90
>>
>>7506097
I've read a lot of Thompson.

Have you seen After Dark, My Sweet? It's a criminally underrated adaption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SZr7z8Pwrw

I haven't read Nightmare Town, but I'll put it on the list.
>>
>>7506116
>>7506122
I haven't seen either of those movies. Gotta check them out.

It's surprising to me how fucked up Thompson's books are. Like, I think they are pretty fucked up by today's standards
>>
>>7506189
Yeah, they are, especially since they aren't black comedies (such as American Psycho is). They can be very uncomfortable reads.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.