[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is better than The Stranger.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: 220px-Sartre_Nausea_1964.jpg (17 KB, 220x342) Image search: [Google]
220px-Sartre_Nausea_1964.jpg
17 KB, 220x342
This is better than The Stranger.
>>
How is the dudes mindset in the stranger conducive to everyday life, I mean I get he's all existential etc but wtf is the point in possessing that mindswt
>>
>>7505450
Agreed. Moving on.
>>
this was garbage
>>
>>7505450
Oblomov is better than both
>>
>>7505450
On the contrary. The last few pages of Camus's novel are far better than the whole of Nausea.
>>
he subscribes to the good/bad dichotomy
>>
>>7506167
I agree with you, but how are the two even comparable?
>>
Both are awful fiction writers. Pretty much universally agreed upon
>>
im going to let you finish but Notes From Underground was the best existentialist novel of all time. the best existentialist novel of all time
>>
File: man.jpg (27 KB, 327x279) Image search: [Google]
man.jpg
27 KB, 327x279
>he can't understand philosophy unless it's in the form of a story
>>
>>7506197
did you read them in french?
>>
>>7506203
whats wrong with that?
>>
>>7506203
>implying you can 'understand' anything
>>
File: man2.jpg (97 KB, 800x544) Image search: [Google]
man2.jpg
97 KB, 800x544
>>7506207
>he's asking me what's wrong with that
>>
I've only read No Exit and Dirty Hands. What other stuff by Sartre should I read?
>>
>>7505450
Nausea is syrup, the Stranger is water. It depends. Roquentin is self-indulgent, has a violent change forced on him, and arguably ends up failing to grapple with it by retreating into the purportedly immortalizing power of art against the falsity of history, while Mersault is a kind of anti-hero that comes to recognize explicitly what he seems to have known all along.
>>
File: 1450913142831.jpg (111 KB, 777x656) Image search: [Google]
1450913142831.jpg
111 KB, 777x656
>>7506203
>he reads philosophy
>he takes his opinions very seriously because of it
>>
>>7505450

schizoid personality disorder: the novel
>>
>>7506469
>reading nausea naturalistically

fucking disgusting
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.