[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else here /patrician/ parents? I was raised by my mother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 1446696710466.jpg (348 KB, 680x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446696710466.jpg
348 KB, 680x1024
Who else here /patrician/ parents?

I was raised by my mother but I moved out several years ago. Tonight I went back home for Christmas dinner and noticed that the dining room was lined almost entirely with many classic authors often praised here; titles which were basically invisible to me growing up. Only in the past couple of years, I started serious reading and discovered /lit/. She tells me that she also read Camus, Sartre and a few other French authors, in French. Holy shit, that is so based.

I've also recently been talking to my father about literature and found out that we've read tons of the same books. We were able to have hours of discussion about various novels and give each other some recommendations. I feel like I've been blind for 27 years of my life but I've realised that my parents are fucking awesome thanks to /lit/.

Merry Christmas
>>
nice blogpost. try >>>/soc/ next time retard
>>
My parents are plebs. My dad only reads sci-fi/horror/thriller and my mom only reads self-help books and the Bible. Wish my parents were cool like yours.
>>
I think my mom has never finished a book in her life.
>>
>>7505088
Oh and my dad also reads books by conservative political pundits like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter and thinks that puts him in any position to talk about the economy *sigh*
>>
>>7505022
Good for you buddy
>>
>>7505022
>mum's a painter from an East End council estate who tried to do an MA in Existentialism, and probably takes herself slightly seriously but at least has taste
>dad's an irish dude who spent the entire Christmas trying to get us to play Civ V with him (doing it boxing day), and invited his taxi driver to my mum's first date

Weird mix. Love my folks and family though. The Irish side remind me in a weird way of a Gaelic Arrested Development.
>>
>>7505022
Who is she??
>>
>>7505232
I can't tell you who she iss unless you call her one of the rhyming meme phrases like semen demon or one of the hundred other ones... sorry
>>
>>7505264
cum plum
now tell him
>>
You can find out by Google reverse image searching
>>
>>7505022
>>7505264
Who is this phallus chalice, fluid druid, cock dock, seed steed, flute chute, plank bank, wurst nurse, cream seam, dong throng, knob blob, batter splatter, load abode, juice sluice, splooge stooge, wad olympiad?
>>
My parents had fucktons of books. I think they read a lot more before they had kids because theres a lot of them from the 80's-90's. We even had Infinite Jest and I tried to read it freshman year of highschool because it was just the biggest book on the shelf and I wanted to look smart.
>>
>>7505022
>I never tried to talk with my parents but now that I accidentally discovered I'm not smarter than them I might just try to!

pathetic
>>
>>7505022
What do they do for a living
>>
That's cool if true, but wtf 27 years of blind plebdom
>>
>>7505022
mom reads mostly mysteries, Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane, John Grisham
Dad barely reads at all anymore but has a bookcase full of books on Asian history, mostly China and Japan but some on Vietnam as well.
He was stationed in Japan and South Korea during his army days. He was actually aware of Mishima as a failed coup leader, but hasn't read anything by him. Why are you reading that lunatic? He asked me.
>>
File: samuel becket.jpg (89 KB, 491x648) Image search: [Google]
samuel becket.jpg
89 KB, 491x648
Same her. Mom into French lit, mostly Montaigne and Proust (read all of it, in French) and a little into camus, satre, de beauvoir also in to everything English (from shakespear to woolf).

However, it has kinda given me a complicated relationship towards books and academia. My mom has always been very into humanities; she got a masters in English, had a teaching job for years before she had to stop working due to bad health. Now she's doing just fine, but she have no fortune, no big pension she can live on, she lives in a small two room apartment and is 65. I just can't help but feel that she wasted so much on it on "pointless" books. She has all this immense knowledge about art, history, literature, but it's mostly pretty useless.

So it's definitely made my relationship towards books a bit more pragmatic, reading book as a hobby is among the best thing you can do in my opinion (and way, way better than jsut browsing internet/netflix, doing nothing), but there's definitely smarter ways to invest your time than reading the classics. That's why you have so many retarded people with huge success, like Carson who used to be one of the countries best brain surgeons while being a brainwashed christian redneck. It's the same with tons of careers , i know some people at law school who will study like hell and can site any of their state laws like the biggest autists, but they've never heard about Kafka and when the weekend comes they watch netflix, do coke and party.

Be careful with how you invest your time i guess is what i'm saying. If you truly like sitting down with a dostojevskij book after a long day you should do that , but don't fool yourself into thinking that it will lead you to be some kind of super smart elite academic who can tackle anything, being well - read is not necessarily gonna grant you success.
>>
>>7505101
>*sigh*
>>
my parents are patrician because they are relatively happy people.

the only /lit/ thing my parents did was my dad used to read don Quixote to me as a kid. he would do the voices in variations of speedy gonzalas. pretty cool that my dad and I have the same favorite book.
>>
>>7506920
>useless

That's your utilitarianism talking. If it brought depth, joy, and meaning to her life then it was not useless in any way. What is the point of going through life doing something you hate simply to live a little better when you're old and dying? Do what you love while you still have your youth anon. Why would you care if you don't have a big pension when you're 65? You are going to die either way, end of story.
>>
dad is a tenured college prof
teaches drama and screenwriting
reads all day, and watches a shitton of movies, at a point almost majored in history so he is a huge history buff

mom is a lawyer, well read, works for the government as some type of judge, reads less than dad, but still a lot, everything from chicklit to kafka
mom is really versed in sociology and social theory, and also political science, so we discuss that a lot

im a philo major
>>
>>7506920

>Now she's doing just fine, but she have no fortune, no big pension she can live on, she lives in a small two room apartment and is 65. I just can't help but feel that she wasted so much on it on "pointless" books. She has all this immense knowledge about art, history, literature, but it's mostly pretty useless.

Fucking Americans.
>>
>>7505022
My parents are Roman Catholic missionaries. Both are more well read than me.
>>
My parents are filthy casuals especially my dad who is not /lit/. The OG literate is my grandfather. His favorite authors were Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Zweig. He would read the paper every day and read books on politics.
>>
>>7505022
In the garage I found a box full of Kurt Vonnegut, they are my fathers... hold me /lit/
>>
My mom reads esoteric shit and autobiographies by people who have the same chronic disease she does and once or twice she might have read a murder mystery. I don't think my dad touched a book after high school. I'm not sure what even made me read or how I made it to college or anything.
>>
My mother was raised in the Soviet Union, so she had to read most classics at school. Russian authors like Dosto and Tolstoy almost completely. As well as non-russian works like those of shakespeare or some greeks. Turns out the commie's education system was great when it comes to the humanities.

My dad stopped going to school at the third grade, still read some pretty complicated stuff though. Nietzsche, Plato, alot of poetry. He is one of the closest real-life examples of an "ubermensch" I know. (So obviously he left us... only recently got in touch with him again.)
>>
ITT: people with rich parents or failed parents

The only benefit to being well read is taking sardonic pleasure from your inability to succeed in life.
>>
>>7505022
me ma has read about some 5000 books of classic lit.
>>
File: 6jYXYtRzwY-12.png (16 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
6jYXYtRzwY-12.png
16 KB, 300x250
>>7508111
>people with rich parents
>mfw my parents are rich but not well read
>>
>>7505022
>She tells me that she also read Camus, Sartre and a few other French authors, in French. Holy shit, that is so based.
You mean non-entities?
>>7505232
An ugly overage whore.
>>
My father only read local history, so a lot of Trouble's journalism and memoirs which I also enjoy. I gave him Storm of Steel to read, I know he would like it but he never read it

My mother also only reads memoirs of people she finds fascinating (mostly religious)
>>
>>7505326
>wad olympiad

this was my end
>>
>>7508143
>>
File: muhmeme.jpg (68 KB, 640x472) Image search: [Google]
muhmeme.jpg
68 KB, 640x472
>>7505022
>tfw I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers - foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders I was made to speak their language.

So in regards to OP I have nothing to say.
>>
>>7505326

semen demon nowhere in that list, I am so disappoint anon...
>>
>>7508204
>he said, in defence of two glorified nihilists
>>
>>7508214
>he called me edgy
>he must be defending people i don't like

dripping narcissism
>>
>mom is a high school teacher
>after getting into /lit/ I discover she likes books too
>she read Crime and Punishment, the Brothers Karamazov, Proust, and even a bit of Nietzche
>she didn't learn anything from those books, just read for fun
>>
>>7508111
At least I can derive pleasure from my lack of success. What about you, anon?
>>
>mom doesn't read
>dad reads /biz/ books (how to be the best manager, that kind of stuff) and Bill O'Reilly's Killing ______ series
They're probably more patrician than me though
>>
My parents are both Yale graduates, but I dropped out of community college. I've been trying ever since around 17 years old to get my shit in line and be the son I'm supposed to be, but it doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen. They were even grooming me to go to Yale back when I was a kid. I remember at the kitchen table one morning we were talking about Yale because at that age I really thought that's where I was going to go and had my eyes set on it. I remember they gave me a little tip and that's if anyone ever asked you where you went to college, you never say "Yale" but you say "I went to college in Connecticut." I bet they never thought I would remember that conversation, but it actually made a big impression on me. Or it didn't. I don't know. You know, sometimes you don't know why you remember what you remember.

Anyway, they're patrician as fuck. They were both English majors as undergraduates and they've read pretty much all the shit you guys talk about here except David Foster Wallace, who they don't think much of. But they love Pynchon and Joyce and Gaddis and the postmodernists, and my dad likes DeLillo, but my mom doesn't really. There are tons and tons and tons of books in my house. There are bookshelves in the living room, in the basement, in all of the bedrooms, and in the hallways. It's sort of my inheritance. I never have to go to the library. I can just ask for whatever book I need and they have it somewhere. Every time I discover an author I mention it to them and they've read him/her and they give me a spiel about them and then show me where the book is.

This is long already so I'm just going to stop. Anyway, tldr: my parents are patrician, I'm not.
>>
>>7508206
WHOOOOO!?
>>
>>7505022
27 years and they didn't even nudge you towards literature until now, they are just selfish.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.