[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you guys selfish about your insights? I mean on here. Since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: 1450287638915.jpg (312 KB, 825x1232) Image search: [Google]
1450287638915.jpg
312 KB, 825x1232
Are you guys selfish about your insights? I mean on here. Since we're anonymous, we don't really get any credit for good posts. Putting effort into posts is rarely rewarded and often punished. I want to share my knowledge with people, but they don't seem receptive, and not receiving any positive acknowledgment makes me not want to.

On the other hand really, really great posts are acknowledged, but I feel like most of the time these posts have a kind of sensational aspect to them. That makes no room for the humbler, subtler insights that can help people understand various topics incrementally better. I often feel the need to sensationalize what I'm saying so that it will be more likely to be appreciated.

That being said, I never stoop so low to reduce it to a string of memes. That's the first step down a short road to willful retardation.

I want to contribute to the improvement of discourse on this board. At this point this largely involves the task of spreading my knowledge. Most people here are undergrad or early grad level. From my experiences, it's clear that the more educated you are, the less you want to bother with this board.

What are some things I can work on in the coming year?
>>
Are you full of yourself or am I insecure?
>>
>>7501947
This is a place of love and acceptance! Get out!
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I couldn't agree more OP.
>>
I find genuine appreciation to be rewarding.

Even when I just meme out and people and enjoy it, it's nice.
>>
>>7501745
Why even waste your time tho? The shit talking culture on this board is gonna make anything good either pettily insulted for humor or just appreciated but unacknowledged. Just stahp
>>
>>7502029

Because if you bail out that only condenses the shit. The rays of light are what is good about these boards, mine for gems anon.
>>
I am working on essays on certain ideas and I have declined to post about them because I am worried some fucking /lit/ dude will do like 30% of it and then I'll look like I just did the latter 70%

I want everyone to know I did the whole 100% by myself I'm a big boy
>>
Nothing could ever be worse than returning to reddit. I just need new places to hangout online.
>>
>>7502266
2/10
>>
>>7501745
>I want to share my knowledge with people, but they don't seem receptive

That's because you were unconvincing in your argument. You can say the dumbest shit and people will still believe you if you say it right. I like to put myself above the audience as a writer, like I'm doing right now.

Also your post is long and full of useless information, you could have got your point across in a sentence or three, people aren't stupid, they can pick up on your attitude and relate to you.

Here's a good tip, if you get bored reading your own post, others will too.
>>
If its any consolation sometimes i read and appreciate good posts on subjects both in which I am knowledgeable and in an subjects I know nothing about, but I never comment on it. There might be more people like me.
>>
>>7502326
>biting critiqueéeeèë
>>
>>7502363
And you've got to defend your statements from faggots like this who have nothing to say.
>>
>>7502371
I have nothing to say because there is nothig to say.
>>
>>7501745
>Are you guys selfish about your insights?

I contribute when people ask for it. Like in the stoner thread or the greek plays thread, sometimes there are sincere requests for stuff. I also help people when they ask where to start with whomever, request threads and sometimes prose in critique threads.

/pol/tards and /r9k/ neckbeards I just greentext their insecurities, call them plebs for not reading and post derogatory pictures because, eh, engaging with idiots is a waste of time and mocking them is fun. They try so hard they think people insulting them are in a discussion with them, it's adorable how badly they need approval.
>>
>>7502382
DUDE LSD LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>7502387
I posted that same pasta four hours ago.
>>
>>7502394
Keep fighting the good fight, my friend.
>>
>>7501745
use a name then, nobody's making you post as anon
>>
>>7502355
>There might be more people like me.

have you ever heard of the 1% rule?
>>
>>7501745
I have presented papers at conferences that started as people's posts on /lit/, but I've never posted anything I would consider presenting myself.
(Including one at the Sigma Tau Delta conference in New Orleans)
>>
>>7501745
This is how tripfags are born
>>
>he actually thinks his juvenile "insights" are worth "protecting"

LOL

kill yourself
>>
People steal ideas from here all the time.

If you have a great idea and just want to see it implemented, post it here, but you will be paid exactly $0 and no credit.

It's a nice private satisfaction, though.
>>
>>7501947
The latter
>>
File: 1422063248314.jpg (10 KB, 400x243) Image search: [Google]
1422063248314.jpg
10 KB, 400x243
>>7501745
>tfw you pretty much described the limitations on all human discourse without realizing it

just substitute /lit/ for any other forum/media/method of communication and you've made a pretty good argument for never talking to ppl again
>>
File: image.png (153 KB, 384x225) Image search: [Google]
image.png
153 KB, 384x225
I don't share insights or good lit. Other should fail.
>>
>>7501745
jesus once said
>"don't throw pearls to swine."

as in don't bother. also, i like hoarding conceptual-philosophical keys to thought. makes me feel good about myself because even if i'm an unassuming and sullen individual i can always percieve the world in a much fuller way than others. or can I? what is knowlegde in the face of experience? fuck
>>
I though about this today while browsing /r/askhistorians.
I mean, they write really elaborate answers after years of training. And they just take the time to write posts much more complex than the ones seen on /lit/.

I guess sharing knowledge is what'll keep the board great for us.
>>
>>7502969
GUD EVENING

SHE WAS VERY BADLY RAPED, YOU SEE
>>
>>7502747
*ladder
stupid
>>
>>7502387
Im scared about taking phychedellics now
Please explain
>>
>>7501745
>What are some things I can work on in the coming year?
invest your energy/ideas in things that matter, not /lit/. if you take /lit/ at all seriously, I'm inclined to doubt you have much insight anyway.
>>
>>7504068
It didn't work for him so OBVIOUSLY it won't work for anyone
/sarcasm
>>
>>7503959
I KILL RICH CUNTS
>>
>>7501745
You need to get over your need for approval on an anonymous image board
>>
>>7504357
there's the correct response
>>
>>7504357
This is exactly the wrong way to read my post.

I want to share my knowledge first and foremost. I'm here to converse with people in a constructive manner. Not to tear others down but to build others up. I put effort into the things I do automatically, because it's more enjoyable for me to try to say something meaningful than to say pointless things. In a way, it's not really effort for me, because I have a lot to say.

The neutral/negative response I get discourages me from doing that not because I don't feel like I'm getting the adequate approval for my self-esteem or something like that, but because I feel like you guys don't deserve to benefit from what I have to say. I don't feel rejected like an outcast, I feel prideful like a scrooge. I become selfish. I see someone in need of something and I withhold what I have to say even though I want to say it. I can't tell you how many times I typed up a whole response and then just deleted it, because I realized the pleasure of writing it was enough and that it would disgrace the content of what I had to say to even include it among the ugly drivel most of you produce.

If I wanted approval on here, I'd just post stupid memes.
>>
>>7504562
this post is how i know you have absolutely nothing of value to say
>>
Please stop being a condescending fuckhead. Share your words or don't, posting you selfish qualms accomplishes nothing and is shitting up the board. Use a trip, leave us alone.
>>
>>7504582
Do you really think the quality of this board is good?

Do you ever wonder why only hopelessly stupid people post here? Or maybe you are too much one yourself to even realize that you are, which is an enormous problem here. For example >>7504580.
>>
>>7504597
you're trying too hard
>>
I'm not selfish but I don't post anything worthwhile until I know it's worth my while given that 95% of the board are retards who just meme and haven't read shit. If I see someone post something worthwhile, I'll be more likely to reciprocate but it's mostly getting asked What I thought of X or Y and I post my thoughts and that's it, no reply or criticism, all they wanted was an Amazon Review of the book. Which is why I avoid all threads where the person hasn't read the book and are asking for general opinions. This board is filled with retards like that who come here before they've read a book instead of after.
>>
I can tell you're new Anon.

This is how 4chan works, it copied its formula directly from the idlerpg irc chatrooms in the early 00s. In idlerpg if you chat, type anything or change nicknames you get a penalty. If you idle/afk and never interact in any way, you level up and progress through the game.

On 4chan, the longer you lurk and the more time you spend reading without contributing, the less you want to post or even acknowledge you know this site exists. Because you realise that only the dumbest visitors are posting.

In fact that's what made 4chan so funny, the incredibly stupid shallow egotistical people posting their moronic opinions despite being anonymous and having zero incentive to post. And a population of lurkers who only came to get a giggle from the site would enjoy it in true anonymity, by not contributing in any way.

Since only the idiots were posting, this echo chamber effect created a lowest common denominator merit based system, when the dumbest ideas became repeated and forged into memes.

Now regular people invaded all the boards over the last 5 years so this ethos got lost, traffic shot right up and we have the current situation.

Currently regular people are trying to have discussions on 4chan about various things, (because they think being Anonymous is kind of dangerous or edgy) but stupid people are still here posting, and a lot more stupid people arrived with the influx of traffic. That's why you see 'shitposting' becoming a referred term. That is regular users not understanding that 4chan was always 'shitposting' and funny stories and never a serious thing. If you wanted computer advice or tech news or to discuss serious topics you'd go to slashdot or newsgroups, then later forums. If you wanted to be entertained by the ignorant masses you boot up 4chan and laugh at whatever subculture resonated with you the most.

Remember that whole 'Anonymous' movement with the protests and shit, Occupy Wall street, the Anonymous hacker leaks etc. That's an example of newfag cancer that convinced moot to sell this site. It became co-opted by government agencies who wanted to entrap potential criminals, movements started forming, it was all quite sad.

What 4chan was is permanently lost in the void, reddit is great for discussing popular topics, stack overflow is still very reliable for answering many questions and having insightful discussion (many people using it are professionals in their field) and facebook is useful for finding people with similar interests.

Don't try to make 4chan what it never was intended to be friend.
>>
>>7501745
Not /lit/ related, reported.
>>
>>7504068
Don't be such a little pussy, dude. Don't be such a little bitch. You're not even putting periods at the end of your sentences? You are such a fucking pussy bitch. Grow a pair and stop being a long-sleeve baggy wool sweater wearing TWINKBOY KEK.

I say these things for your benefit. It takes a hardy spirit to engage with the universal logos without accruing any scars.
>>
>>7504668
I'm agreeing with you!
I post like 3 posts a week at most and it's mostly some lazy questions that I could get with google if I wanted to.
I've been lurking here for 4 years now and I have the same impression of what this board is. Just some shit to do in your free time.
And I'm answering right now cause I like what you wrote!
>>
>>7504901
please PLEASE be satire
>>
>>7504668
>reddit is great for discussing popular topics
I find that it's much better for obscure topics - popular subs run into the exact problems you describe here.
>>
>>7504921
Have you learned nothing? Where are your capital letters? Where's your punctuation? Do you think this is a fucking game? The logos is not to be trifled with. It will make you gay if you let it; it'll imprison you in a dream-world.
>>
File: al_cheers.jpg (11 KB, 270x169) Image search: [Google]
al_cheers.jpg
11 KB, 270x169
>>7504668
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.