[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why you no read Burroughs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: William-Burroughs-London-1988.jpg (1 MB, 3320x2256) Image search: [Google]
William-Burroughs-London-1988.jpg
1 MB, 3320x2256
Why you no read Burroughs?
>>
>>7501688
Because I'm reading Gass.
>>
he's just another cisgendered whiteboi
>>
>>7501690
The Tunnel sounds good. Recommendations?
>>
>>7501698
The Tunnel
>>
>>7501694
>cisgendered

Not sure if serious senpai
>>
>>7501688
>Sure, wife, I suppose I *could* Tell you, but then I'd have to kill you
>>
I did. I read Naked Lunch, Junkie, and Queer.

And that was enough.
>>
Naked Lunch is my second favorite book but the only other thing of his I've read is junky. Where to go?
>>
>>7501771
Exactly the same here.
>>
>>7501773
Queer is the obvious choice. Real short and the connecting tissue in the Junkie-Queer-Naked Lunch trilogy.
>>
>>7501773
You would love Exterminator.

Think Naked Lunch style spread over short stories
>>
Was leafing through the new bio on him that came out today actually. Wondered if it's any good.

I read Naked Lunch and Junky and I have Place of Dead Roads and Cities of the Red Night that I will read at some point soon OP I promise.
>>
The 'Other Half' is the word. The 'Other Half' is an organism. Word is an organism. The presence of the 'Other Half' is a separate organism attached to your nervous system on an air line of words can now be demonstrated experimentally. One of the most common 'hallucinations' of subject during sense withdrawal is the feeling of another body sprawled through the subject's body at an angle...yes quite an angle it is the 'Other Half' worked quite some years on a symbiotic basis. From symbiosis to parasitism is a short step. The word is now a virus. The flu virus may have once been a healthy lung cell. It is now a parasitic organism that invades and damages the central nervous system. Modern man has lost the option of silence. Try halting sub-vocal speech. Try to achieve even ten seconds of inner silence. You will encounter a resisting organism that forces you to talk. That organism is the word.
>>
>>7501786
>Place of Dead Roads and Cities of the Red Night
You should start with the latter, it's the first part
>>
>>7501698
do not start with The Tunnel unless you have the patience of a stone and a penchant for loving beautiful sentences. I'd recommend omensetter's luck/cartesian sonatas/in the heart of the heart of the country/Middle C first.
Definitely read The Tunnel but read it last.
>>
>>7501773

The Soft Machine if you want even crazier
>>
Burroughs is the GOAT for me. not everybody's cup of tea, but I have read everything he has written that is still available, and both biographies (Miles' is vastly superior to Morgan's btw, the latter can be skipped with no harm done).
>>
>>7502122
also, anybody who names his greatest work as anything other than Western Lands is a raging pleb
>>
I learned the other week that this fucker's parents financed his degenerate lifestyle for decades.
>>
because he was a degenerate homosexual
>>
>>7502138
Burroughs adding machine money. Grandad or great grandad had a patent. So Burroughs had a trust fund. He talks a bit about it in Junky. They gave him just enough money to have no direction in life.
>>
>>7502311
Actually all the money from the Burroughs adding machine went else where, his parents were loaded but it was from a number of stores that they owned.
>>
>>7502380
>"I have never been able to divest myself of the trust fund that [Kerouac] foisted upon me. I mean there isn’t any trust fund. There never was a trust fund. When I was not able to support myself… I was supported by an allowance from my family… my hard working parents who ran a gift and art shop in Palm Beach, Florida, called Cobblestone …"
>>
>>7501698
Start anywhere but The Tunnel.

Fun Fact: Gass and Gaddis were BFFs.
>>
Schizo hack.

Pass.
>>
>>7501688

because he fucking killed his wife
>>
>>7502973
>shoot the bitch, write the book

What did he mean by this?
>>
>Obligatory Burroughs Christmas Story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kHN92Yv48
>>
>>7501688
He had a very colorful life. In fact, I'd say he lived the authentic literary lifestyle. I'm pretty jelli
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.