[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the best place to start with Friedrich Nietzsche
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: 1449084524788.gif (36 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1449084524788.gif
36 KB, 720x720
what's the best place to start with Friedrich Nietzsche when it comes to existentialism?
>>
Nietzsche isn't an existentialist, although some beta writers might try to claim he is
>>
>>7501633
>some beta writers

i.e anyone who has any understanding of philosophy whatsoever
>>
>>7501638
explain me what in the fuck about nietzsche is "existentialist" protip u cant
>>
>>7501633
i'm not saying he was. i'm just saying from the standpoint of trying to grasp more of it, where would his work at least touch on it. i recall one where he was talking about how regular animals would go on about each day without any memories and as a result, no burdens of the past, each experience constantly being new and non-repetitive to them. what was it called?
>>
His most 'existentialist' work is probably Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but it's an awful starting place.
>>
Get a collection of his aphorisms
>>
>>7501649
well he also has a part were he talks about how the strongest or noblest man or whatever does not forgive transgressions because he instantly forgets while the weak man lets them eat away at his pysche and make him sick or some shit, so i'm not entirely sure he was anti-cow
>>
>>7501656

The irony is a deeper reading has Zarathustra on the same 'essentialist' plane as the bible.
>>
>>7501656
>an awful starting place

Where should I start if I want to understand thus spoke zarathustra?
>>
Nietzsche wasn't an existentialist but he had a strong subsequent influence on them. Nietzsche himself said you had to read all of his books 'forwards & backwards' to understand any particular one of them. He was terrified of being misunderstood, which turned out to be a rather legitimate concern. Either just jump in with Zarathustra or SWTGreeks & then head to Birth of Tragedy & work chronologically for hardcore mode. Alternatively get the Portable Nietzsche & head through that for an easy intro & overview (includes Zarathustra).
>>
Also I should add make sure you've read Socrates (Plato) & The Bible. Some Goethe also helps keep your bearings.
>>
>>7501845
nietzsche fucking btfos socrates dude
>>
Nietzsche's importance to existentialism is in his ideas of valuation as a relative thing, or worthwhile practice unto itself.

It's worth reading his major works chronologically so you can understand his views from different angles and not see them as monolithic. In The Birth of Tragedy he describes Greek theatre as basically an "existential" practice for confronting the meaninglessness of life, and in Zarathustra he talks about "writing new values on new tablets," but the Nietzsche who wrote Zarathustra would (and sort of did) condemn the Nietzsche who wrote The Birth of Tragedy as naive and precocious at best.

It's a theme that underlays everything he wrote. Even the stuff that lit crit and lefty people like to read, like the genealogical method and his historical relativism, is partly rooted in a basic appreciation for the conflict between a creative subject and an arbitrary or meaningless world.
>>
With Kierkegaard
>>
You won't understand nietzsche if you don't start with the greeks you morons.

Nietzsche was a professor of greek philosophy and almost everything he wrote was influenced by the greeks and hegel. You can't just "start with nietzsche" unless you don't want to understand anything.
>>
>>7501946
>influenced by hegel

you done fucked up now pleb, nietzsche is not hegelian whatsoever, which is why he is still relevant and demented hegelites like marx are on the dustbin of herstory
>>
>>7501948

>Nitzsche
>most people know him only as a name and literally no one gives a fuck about his actual philosophy

>Marx
>had a lasting impact on the whole of political philosophy and has directly inspired hundreds of mass worker movements
>>
>>7501972
in case u didn't notice all identity politics shit that has replaced dated and discredited marxism is based on thinkers like butler, said, and foucault, all of whom used nietzsches geneological method, nietzsche basically gave birth to the contemporary left, while marx is just a minor ricardian long disregarded by serious economists and now falling out of favor with the left as well
>>
>>7501984

>implying Critical Theory, which is based on analyzing literally everything under the fucking Sun, is based off Nietzsche and his borderline sexual obsession with "the Will"

Please, anon, you're just embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>7501994
>Please, anon, you're just embarrassing yourself.

no u

marxism was hardly critical of anything since he accepted hegelian metaphysics and christian slave morality as essential parts of his failed attack on what at the time was a less than 100 year old system in capitalism, nietzsche on the other hand attacked the very basis of 2000 years of western morality..
>>
>>7501948
you don't have to be hegelian to be influenced by him. Are you saying Nietzsche didn't respond to Hegel?
>>
>>7501852
Nietzsche himself held Socrates up as one of the higher ones & 'closest to himself', while at the same time being highly critical. He writes essays & lectured on him & many many passages that are directly related to his work. I don't think you've read any Nietzsche anon...
>>
What's a good place to start with Nietzsche? Not necessarily with respect to existentialism
Also what other guys should one read before Nietzsche?
>>
>>7501770
I mean existentialist in the shallow sense of the word, which I assume the OP means: death of god, meaning of life, what's the point, blah blah blah.
>>
>>7501814
Dawn and The Gay Science.
>>
>>7502091
Barely mentions him. When he does it'say because he is applying his psychological process to Schopenhauer, talking about how stupid his followers are when he is talked shit on German culture, or complaining that the birth of tragedy is too hegelian because Apollonian/Dionysian is somewhat dialectical.

I don't think he ever did a deep reading of Hegel for a few reasons: 1) his teacher hated him 2) his followers were stupid and 3) he's really fucking difficult.
>>
>>7503355
Bump
Please answer the dubs
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.