[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some indications that one's writing is weak?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1439248482364.jpg (1 MB, 2600x1734) Image search: [Google]
1439248482364.jpg
1 MB, 2600x1734
What are some indications that one's writing is weak?

>begins every sentence with "I"
>>
The structure is repetitive. How do they do it? Do they think it won't be noticed? It's like each sentence is the same. It really frustrates me, then they think a single comma will resolve the situation.
>>
Guys, I'm writing a story, but I feel like it's more of a script.

There's quite a bit of dialogue, about 10 lines of dialogue on each page, and some pages are entirely dialogue.

How much dialogue is too much dialogue?

What can I do to break up the dialogue? I try to add it as many actions that the characters are doing, but there's only so much I can add. And I'm not so good with being over-descriptive.
>>
>>7501192

eh, just make it a straight up script, then send it to hollywood or something. You'll probably be much more successful doing that then going into writing books.
>>
>>7501192
i have the same problem

i think we're meant to write plays
>>
>>7501196
>>7501198

Huh, I guess I could do that. Writing a play doesn't seem like it'd be a bad idea, though I'd probably need to learn how to properly write one.
>>
>>7501192

>What can I do to break up the dialogue?

Condense it. Look for ways to say things with fewer words. Imply as much as you can; say only what is necessary.
>>
>>7501192
just make it all dialogue and claim you were inspired by late Gaddis
>>
Actually for much of the Stranger, Meursault starts his sentences with I very repetitively, albeit it was intentional
>>
>>7501204
I'm not a writer but I'd recommend you to just write a normal book, even if it has a lot of dialogue. It might even get more attention because of that.
Writing a play on the other hand is very different from writing a normal book. There's a zillion theatrical details that dramatists have to understand to make a good play. There's also a zillion literary details that writers have to understand to make a good book. You're already a writer and probably understand maybe a million of those details about books, but next to none about theater. If you're ready to spend a LOT of time learning about theater, do it, but if don't, if you do it just halfway, you'll end up with a shitty script that could've been a solid book.

But, again, I'm not an artist, just an observer. Maybe you should talk to someone who works in theater. Maybe I'm exaggerating the difference between different art forms.
>>
>>7501404
>>7501701
Thanks for the help!

>>7501417
lol
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.