[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
where do I go from this serie? I'd like sci-fi/fantasy actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1
File: 41pqKwdAe9L._UY250_.jpg (10 KB, 166x250) Image search: [Google]
41pqKwdAe9L._UY250_.jpg
10 KB, 166x250
where do I go from this serie?
I'd like sci-fi/fantasy actually well written

fuck GoT
>>
Read more Wolfe, or read some of the books that inspired the Book of the New Sun
>>
>>
>>7500768
Iain Banks is the tryhard Quentin Tarantino of sci-fi
>>
>I'd like sci-fi/fantasy actually well written
Wolfe's out, then.
>>
Little, Big by John Crowley has absolutely beautiful language, but it's a totally different kind of book
>>
>>7500768
Dhalgren
>>
>>7500837
Edgy
>>
Jack Vance and more Wolfe.

Read Peace.
>>
Read Borges and Chesterton, and the Old Testament
>>
>>7500768
a song of ice and fire is actually pretty decent and not the reddit tier intrigue game you probably think it is.

It's maybe the best sci-fi series of this century so far.
>>
>>7500839

Little, Big is really underappreciated here. It's not "proper" fantasy with its own unique worldbuilding or magic system and other nerdy shit like that, but it still ends up being way more fantastic than any other "proper" fantasy book I've read. And more compelling too. God damn, that ending.
>>
>>7500980
>sci-fi
You almost had it. Maybe next time.
>>
>>7500992
It's the essence of fantasy, IMO. It's what fantasy was before the category became diluted with shitty adventure novels. Everyone should read it.
>>
>>7500999
a song of ice and fire is literally his sci-fi books with a new coat of paint.

The world can be explained in science fiction terms and the stories and themes are the same as the ones he writes in his thousand worlds series.

It's a sci-fi series my man.
>>
>>7500768
You again? The only good part of this series is the first half of the first book.
>>
>>7501008
>>7500992
Also, its recommended by old Harold Bloom. Always a plus.
>>
>>7501052
Which proves that he's not at all biased against fantasy, which people only claim because he doesn't like THEIR favorite fantasy novels.
>>
>>7501083

I only really heard of his shitting on Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Has he been making comments about GRRM that I missed or what?

Also, I think any Bloomite knows he loves Ursula K. Le Guin.
>>
>>7500844
this
>>
Try John Crowley. The Deep is fucking stellar.
>>
Peake
Borges
Vance
Howard
Smith
>>
Herbert?
>>
>>7500768
What does well written mean?
>>
>>7501029
headcanon bro

gb2x
>>
>>7503228
We'll see who's laughing in 20 years when the series has finished.
>>
>>7500768
New Wave is generally quite interesting as it was the literary sf movement.
So more Wolfe for starters, Long and Short Sun, Wizard Knight, Fifth Head of Cerberus and Peace.
Ursula le Guin with the Hannish Cycle.
Lem with Cyberiad and Solaris.
Dick with Scanner Darkly, Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich, Valis.
Roger Zelanzy with Lord of Light.
>>
>>7503252
Wolfe isn't New Wave. He certainly didn't dabble in any of that postmodern posturing that hacks like M. John Harrison and Michael Moorcock did.
Lem is fucking great though. I have not read a single bad book by him.
>>
>>7505308
Wolfe has a lot of very pomo elements mixed with traditional storytelling and ideas.
>>
guys what's the "easiest" to read? Im a non-native speaker and I'd like to start reading in english, but some prose are really difficult
>>
>>7506562
Try Wizard Knight
>>
>>7503252
Is Hainish Cycle worth reading after Left Hand of Darkness?

>>7505308
I've only read Solaris by Lem, what do you recommend?
>>
FAFRHD AND THE GREY MOUSER
>>
>>7506623
thanks, gonna do right now
>>
>>7507432
This. Also, Glen Cook's Black Company and Moorcock's Elric series.
>>
As always, Hyperion.
>>
>>7500768
Canticle for Leibowitz.
Just read it senpai.
>>
>>7506623

Out of an interest in reading more Wolfe, should I bother with his other books if I didn't enjoy Knight? I enjoyed the story structuring but the predictability and very bizarre main character really ruined it for me.

I think what bothered me most was that I had just read Sanderson, and Rothfuss and disliked both because the main characters act like autists but everyone loves them and they can do no wrong, so I went to Wolfe to find that Knight had the exact same problem.
>>
>>7505308
What u got against pomo mane? Not a huge Moorcock fan but I've only heard good things about harrison
>>
>>7509224
All of Wolfe's novels are non-fictional in their respective universes. The Knight was a letter to the Able's brother. Unreliable narrator, the story is sorta embellished. Peace and Short Sun are the opposite, in that the narrators hate themselves.

Having read Name of the Wind, I can tell you Wolfe pulls it off, at least in New and Long Sun, while Rothfuss does not. How often they are compared really confuses me.
>>
>>7509224
Read Latro in the Mist my friend
>>
Saga of Pliocene Exile
>>
>>7510289

Reading the description, this sounds exactly like my sort of book. Ordering it now. Thanks!
>>
>>7509224
Most of his protagonists are bizarre, but all are quite different.
How the stories perform is also very dependant on how the protagonist wrote it so your liking them really depends from book to book.
Severian is unlike Able an actual autistic narcissistic young man.
>>
Mervyn Peake
Jack Vance

Look into the Ballantine fantasy series
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.