[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Christmas Eve /lit/, whatre you gonna be reading to escape your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 374233.jpg (47 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
374233.jpg
47 KB, 310x475
Christmas Eve /lit/, whatre you gonna be reading to escape your broken family life.

Pic related
>>
>people call calvino one of the greatest writers of all time
>always writes semi-boring short stories with little gimmicks
>wouldn't be fit to shine the shoe of Borges in terms of speculative fiction

I'll be reading Mervyn Peake's gormenghast novels
>>
>>7500568
He's not as good as Borges, but his shit is imaginative and easy to read, which is good for that childhood, nostalgic longing during the holidays. Some stories in Invisible Cities were even kinda provocative, but /lit/ does love him more than it should.
>>
>>7500580
>his shit is imaginative

sample please
>>
>>7500589
You telling me Cosmicomics ain't imaginative? Get the fuck outta here
>>
>>7500589
What have you read by him that you didn't think was imaginative?
>>
>>7500560
I have lost all motivation to read because of reading too much for uni.

What would you guys recommend as a productive substitute? I do have some broken family life to escape.
>>
>>7500568
>people call calvino one of the greatest writers of all time
Said no one ever.
>>
>>7500560
Knausgaard, it's pretty comfy
>>
>>7500560
Clinical Textbook of Addictive Disorders, edited by Richard J. Frances and Sheldon I. Miller
Very US based and only goes up to about 1990.
>>
>>7500624
>oh wow cool a modern equivalent of Proust! I wonder if he eclipses Anthony Powell

>read Knausgaard
>he just cleans places, eats mcdonalds, and cries every 30 pages
>>
>>7500642
I read all of Proust and a bit of Powell and from what I've read so far of Karl Ove the comparison is as inevitable as it is stupid.
What I've found worthwile are little bits of description or thoughts that justify the pleaseant but not special pages in between them.
As a side note I don't understand you criticism, even less things happen in Proust, we don't read him for the plot.
>>
>>7500568
>holding Borges as the pinnacle of speculative fiction

Hoo boy.

Some hot hot hot pleb on pleb action
>>
>>7500802
Not quoted anon but

Could you elaborate, maybe give us some recs?
>>
A book about the Presocratics
>>
>>7500654
sorry for the typos
>>
File: ready player one.jpg (24 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
ready player one.jpg
24 KB, 313x475
im also bring a gameboy
>>
>>7500654
>we don't read him for the plot.
are you retarded? you read proust for the plot unless you're a retard who's only read swann's way
>>
Stoner

I feel like shit though. Forcing myself to read is unpleasant and freaks me out.
>>
>>7500859
Yeah, tell me about the great plot of the 200 pages dinner at their friends house, where they don't even talk about characters in the books, around the fifth or sixth book
>>
>>7500849
You can't be serious
>>
File: 1450815787189.jpg (24 KB, 505x375) Image search: [Google]
1450815787189.jpg
24 KB, 505x375
>>7500919
>mfw i realized reading stoner before spending christmas alone WAS A BAD IDEA
>>
>>7500615
Not even Gore Vidal?
>>
>>7501087
I'm italian and we universally consider him a B level author, comparatively to our top literature
>>
>>7501096
Thats not answering my question
>>
>>7501100
No but if we get to read him in the original language and even then it's not that good, it should give you an idea of the actual level. And we love to circlejerk our (dead) authors.
>>
>someone enjoys reading calvino
>this means calvino is overrated and isn't actually the greatest author as ??? opined

what is wrong with some people who post on this board
>>
>>7501115
>someone says that he's one of the greatest
>people try to correct the wrong statement
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN ON THIS BOARD JEEZ.
>>
>>7501125
but who said calvino is the greatest
>>
>christmas with direct family (4 of us) every year
>semi close with extended family
>this year direct family member is dying in hospital
>most of extended family ride the spook train of xmas
>direct family just wants to hang out and enjoy last moments
>don't feel like reading
>going to be hanging at the hospital with parents

P.s.
I'm almost done the book I am reading tho.
P.p.s. Atleast try to have some fun over the holidays.
>>
>>7501152
>parents kicked my mentally ill sister out of the house this year for constantly freaking out
>she's depressed and has a stigma towards my parents.
>parents are trying to pretend like the holidays are normal but its really weird and no ones talking about the elephant in the room
>doing the normal holiday rituals without her

Dont feel like reading either, but it beats anything else. The entire house has the feeling of a balloon filled with gasoline. I'm trying to get back to uni senpai.
>>
>>7501125
>someone arbitrarily claims he's generally labeled the greatest, then uses this as an excuse to shit on him two minutes after the thread is made
it's not defensible, and it'd be overaggressive/noticeably self-satisfied even if some single person had called him the greatest
>>7500560
https://warosu.org/lit/?task=search&ghost=yes&search_text=calvino+great|greatest|best
proportionally, "people" are just saying he's a fun/good read
>>
>>7500611
Listen to music with intent.

Make some art. Play a puzzle game.
>>
>>7500611
Arthouse films. With luck, they'll get you back into the spirit of reading (for whatever reason)
>>
>>7501108
What do you guys like, as far as Italian writers go?
>>
>>7500802
>misinterprets a post
>makes a retarded post in response to his own stupidity
found the pleb
>>
>>7500560
Video games does it better for me.
With reading I can't help but pause often to think and reflect on my own experiences and relate to what I'm reading.
Video games is pure, blank bliss.
>>
>I make one post pooping a little on calvino and it derails the whole thread

sorry OP :(
>>
I'm reading some Terry Pratchett. Yeah, I know he's not great but he's fairly comfy and his work helps me escape.
>>
i am reading hotel bemelmans by ludwig bemelmans, im almost done

my sisters fiance hit her and now shes moving back home and bringing her fucking cats and hes in a mental hospital
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.