[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading Kafka gives me nightmares.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_9850.jpg (81 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9850.jpg
81 KB, 750x750
Reading Kafka gives me nightmares.
>>
normal ones or Kafkaesque ones?
>>
>>7500155
his actual stories
>>
>>7500155
What are the 'normal' Kafka stories?
>>
>>7500183
probably just his short stories
>>
>>7500155
>define 'kafkaesque'
>>
>>7500257
"I am constantly confused and words hold no meaning".
>>
>>7500134
Reading nightmares gave us Kafka
>>
The fuck is Kafka
>>
>>7500257
Thing that could happen but nobody in his right mind would go along with it happens and everyone go along with it.

>Wants people out of the bar
>Pulls out the whip
>>
was he a schizo?
>>
I had an unpleasant dream (I wouldn't go as far as calling it a nightmare) of getting chased by an unrelenting, never stopping and all knowing person after reading the trial. Fucking Kafka, man.
>>
>>7500760
That's what I'm reading right now. What the fuck is wrong with Franz? How did he come up with this shit?
>>
>>7500298

A Final Fantasy villain
>>
>>7500810
I think it's beautiful and sometimes funny the way he expresses neuroticisms common to almost all of us
>>
>>7500854
>common to almost all of us

I think it's widely acknowledged that he suffered from some sort of mental illness, which isn't common in most of us. After reading the metamorphosis, I'm convinced he suffered from schizophrenia or a similar condition. I say this because it's common among Jewish folk to suffer from mental illnesses (for whatever reason, I'm not sure) like schizophrenia and whatnot.
>>
>>7500865
you realize metamorphosis was him ranting about the gross inauthenticity of filial love, right. he's basically whining storge isnt real.
>>
>>7500865
>common among Jewish folk to suffer from mental illness

where the fuck did you get this information?
>>
>>7500907
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=judaism+and+mental+illness
>>
>>7500865
It might be true that a person of Jewish ancestry might have some genetic predisposition to the illness, but I agree with what this anon said: >>7500892 Metamorphosis was tight, artistically speaking. It was precise. It wasn't some random schizo fancy that turned Gregor into a bug.
>>
>>7500954
>It was precise. It wasn't some random schizo fancy that turned Gregor into a bug.

I think turning into a vermin was a symbolic for his condition and how his family handled it. "He awoke one morning to find himself transformed into a horrible vermin..." makes me think that he had no control of his schizo episodes, meaning he would awake on any random day to find himself not well.
>>
>>7500953
these results only prove that there are records in their religious texts mentioning mental illnesses, it does not provide any proof that 'it is common among jewish folk'.
>>
>>7500984
that's the thing that's pissing me off so much, - if you are reading sth knowing that the author struggled with similar problems, then the interpretation tend to be so fucking narrow (cf. Hemingway, DFW ('good old neon'), Plath) that you ignore the broader cultural/social implications that the text offers. Metamorphosis is so much more, just like >>7500954 said
>>
>>7501020
I don't think Kafka really intended to incorporate any cultural undertones because he never meant to publish his work. From my understanding, Kafka wrote his works and never made any serious attempts to publish them. Even before his death, he asked Max to burn all his works. It seems that his works were more personal and intended not to be read by anyone else, which might explain the lack of any cultural significance.
>>
>>7501034
Fair point. I guess I was talking not so much about his own implications but how his work resonates within the social and cultural sensibilities of 20th c., regarding alienation and individual crisis, etc..
>>
>>7500257
With no apparent sense or meaning.

Right?
>>
>>7500134
Describe them.
>>
>>7500907
He's right though, everyone I knew with jewish heritage ended up being hospitalized.
>>
>>7503220
They're realistic but improbable and disturbing
>>
>>7503413
Fuck your generalities.
>>
>>7503961
Say that to my face irl
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.