[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw I realized that Socrates was describing a fascist states
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: Obama.jpg (22 KB, 225x277) Image search: [Google]
Obama.jpg
22 KB, 225x277
>mfw I realized that Socrates was describing a fascist states in The Republic
>>
>>7499985
>aristocracy
>fascist
lad...
>>
>>7499987
The first book after Justice is going on about how important censorship
>>
>>7499991
>withholding knowledge
>fascist
>necessarily a bad thing
>>
>mfw I realised OP was stoopid
>>
he was describing the Catholic Church

>ruled by a philosopher king
the pope is a philosopher king because his kingship is not based on hereditary or military might, but on his holding and protecting a certain set of doctrine (a philosophy)

>the upper members of the state are celibate
Catholic priests takes a vow of celibacy

>upper members have no property
Catholic priests take a vow of poverty

>there is a department that throws out people who preach false doctrines
the Inquisition excommunicates heretics

>censorship of bad art and literature
the Catholic Church practised this for centuries

>men and women are given the same education
Catholic Church teaches the same gospel to men and women
>>
>>7499985
>>7499985

He was describing Sparta, bruv and the republic later got remixed into Brave New World.
>>
I remember discussing this at university and this one girl just could not comprehend a society with a rigid class structure
she got so offended that she started insulting Plato
>>
>>7500009
No he wasn't
>>
>>7500008
>pope
>protecting Christianity
>lol don't mission to jews guys
>dude mary is a god lmao
>>
File: image.gif (605 KB, 341x270) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
605 KB, 341x270
>>7499985
tfw OP thinks he is smarter than Thomas Jefferson
>>
>>7500024
>don't mission to jews
Matthew 27:24-25
>mary is a god
She's the mother of God, you fool.
>>
>>7500048
>Mother of God
>not the Theotokos
>>7500048
>Matthew 27:24-25
Counterpoint: Matt 28:18-20

Seriously, calling for an end to mission for any reason is to disrupt the existential foundation of Christianity.
>>
>>7500058
The Catholic Church has always prayed for the conversion of the Jews. It's only very recently with the rise of power of the Jews and holocaust guilt and the infiltration of liberalism into the Church that the Church has become lax in its missionary effort, especially to the Jews.

>Theotokos

That's just the Greek expression for the same notion: Mary, Mother of God.
>>
>>7500074
No, the Theotokos means "The one who bears God" or "The one who gives birth to God", that's a fairly important distinction to make from the implications in "Mother of God".
>>
File: 0.png (73 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
0.png
73 KB, 250x250
>>7500090
>>
>>7500096
>catholics not understanding nor caring about theology
gee, what a surprise.
>>
>>7500107
It's literally the same thing, even in Orthodox understand.
>>
>>7500090
That's not how the ancient Greeks understood it. They understood it in the way Catholics understand it today: she's the Mother of God. That's precisely what the word theotokos meant to them and that's why Nestorius complained about it. They would have thought of you as being a Nestorian heretic.
>>
>>7500008
>priests bugger children en masse
>covered up by philosopope
Nah

>inb4 dey just imagined it
It's documented with physical evidence unlike your sky fairy, papist.
>>
>>7500150
This is literally meta b8ing for a series of fedora images, almost as if you need to collect them like an atheist aspie Ash Ketchum.
>>
>>7500009
Normally I wouldn't correct you, because I have different notions of what the ruling classes would be in different parts of Ancient Greece.

However, it does say in Book VIII of The Republic that Sparta was a timocracy....
>>
>>7499985
>that smug face when you get the republic wrong
>>
>>7499985
He was describing India pre-Muslim invasions.
>>
>>7500058
>>7500074
>>7500024
The Church sounds a bit like a pyramid scheme, doesn't it? It can only continue to exist if it gets other people to join?
>>
>>7500150
This is consistent.
The Greeks (and Plato) had pedastry, the Catholic Church does too.

Boom! I just uncovered the Matrix.
>>
File: 1448733545260.gif (231 KB, 499x427) Image search: [Google]
1448733545260.gif
231 KB, 499x427
>mfw even though this is a bait thread, people actually think this
>>
>>7502391

>mfw no democratic legitimacy = fascist state by definition
>>
File: download.png (3 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
3 KB, 224x225
>>7502399
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.