[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Its poetry arranged in a more efficient way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
Its poetry arranged in a more efficient way
>>
>been browsing /lit/ for 2 years
>still haven't finished the greeks
>>
File: ytho.jpg (912 KB, 1813x2111) Image search: [Google]
ytho.jpg
912 KB, 1813x2111
>>7499663

Have you tried Google-ing it?
>>
>>7499669
Yes.
>>
>>7499663

Prose is so-called "ordinary writing" — made up of sentences and paragraphs, without any metrical (or rhyming) structure.

If you write, "I walked about all alone over the hillsides," that's prose. If you say, "I wondered lonely as a cloud/that floats on high o'er vales and hills" that's poetry. See the difference? (Let's not get into prose poetry!) From prose we get the term prosaic, meaning "ordinary" or "commonplace," or lacking the specially delicacy and beauty of its supposed opposite — poetry.
>>
common words arranged in the best possible order
>>
>>7499663
Prose is common words arranged in such a way that you get dual meanings when you read a sentence.

The sentence would be saying one thing, but it also has a hidden meaning, that the casual reader rarely grasps on a first read.
E.g:
"She spreads eagle, the doors that guard her most valuable treasure, a Chinese fingerbox, which she grants me access to.

I run my fingers over the smooth velvet covered object, the masterwork that went into trimming and crafting such a piece is outstanding.

She moans as she watches me defile her most valued possession with my unworthy hands.

I grin up at her 'this is truly a wonder of the ages, and you have guarded it for two and a half decades?'

She nods, as if to admit to such a thing is the most shameful of acts.

'How much?' She mumbles a price."
>>
>>7499663
>tfw there are people on /lit/ RIGHT NOW who don't understand what prose is
>>
>>7499673
>>7499671
Why is it then, that /lit/ says that Brandon Sanderson has snit prose?

If prose is not being poetic as >>7499671 said why do people shit on Sanderson???
>>
>>7499950
double meaning is not inherent aspect of prose, its just one of the qualities that can make prose good.
>>
>>7499950
What is your example saying?

She is selling a box?
>>
>>7501406
She might be selling a treasured box, but she might also be selling her virginity.
>>
>>7499663
>>7499667
You two are the cancer
>>
"Prose" is literally ordinary speech you cunts. What an awful, awful board
>>
>>7501450
>>7500149
>>7499950
What colour prose is that?

I hear /lit/ speak of purple prose and other colours.
>>
Prose is the writing equivalent to brushwork in painting. It's the skill and originality of the artist to turn ordinary things (words, paint) into something extraordinary. It's by nature subjective but there is definitely a spectrum from good to bad. People like Faulkner, Nabakov, Borges, or McCarthy are usually considered masters in the art. Contrast to something like The Martian, which is more like a blueprint than a painting.
>>
>>7501559
Read Lovecraft and you won't be able to forget what purple prose is.
>>
>>7501558
>prose is ordinary speech
>people shit on Sanderson for his prose
>that means that his characters have speech a impediment
>>
>>7501596
Why is it that you guys always name drop?
>>
>>7501459
Be the chemo then, help them out.
>>
I thought prose was style, how wrong is this?
>>
prose is the only thing separating sparknotes from the book you read
>>
>>7499671
No no wrong anon. One is prose, the other is VERSE. Verse is structured, prose is not. Beauty has nothing to do with it.
>>
File: mza_713610779623051545.jpg (1 MB, 1400x2100) Image search: [Google]
mza_713610779623051545.jpg
1 MB, 1400x2100
"Reading for the prose" the way /lit/ means it, is akin to watching a movie for the cinematography instead of the plot.
>>
>>7503357
would you rather they didn't give any example? Do you consider Faulkner or Borges to be namedropping in a board where they are mentioned every other post? He is just giving his opinion about Literature, which, includes talking about the authors and the works.
>>
>>7503503
>instead of the plot
You got that one wrong.
It's more like, cinematography(I'd narrow it down to just effects though) instead of everything else.
>>
>>7499671
>From prose we get the term prosaic, meaning "ordinary" or "commonplace," or lacking the specially delicacy and beauty of its supposed opposite
Added this to my tinder description. Will report back how it affects matches. (I got good feedback for using books and animals)
>>
Why can't anyone agree on what prose is?

Some say it's dual meanings, some say it's structure, some say it's wordplay(puns).

What is it?

I've been browsing lit too(not OP) and I see you guys say that something has shit prose etc, and that you "read for the prose".

What gives?
>>
>>7503503
bro the plot is actually dope...the police god is supposed to be god and he killed his own father with his hands
>>
>>7501559
kek. Purple prose is uncomfortably overwrought, gaudy, irrelevant prose. It's basically the author showing off, which is why it's bad. There aren't any other color-related terms that we use to refer to prose.
>>
>>7503503
Which is generally what people who actually know something about movies do.
>>
>>7504569
>Why can't anyone agree on what prose is?
Prose is what I'm writing right now. It opposes verse. That's it. If you don't know what prose is you're fucking retarded, and if you thought the OP was serious you're double retarded.
>>
>>7503444
Prose is a category of artistic writing that includes everything that isn't poetry.

Style is a quality of prose, like color is a quality of a crayon. They're not one and the same.
>>
>>7504947
>There aren't any other color-related terms that we use to refer to prose.
Rose or Pink Prose
>>
>>7505034
Rose prose?
>>
>>7505347
Some fagget was talking of purple and pink prose a few months ago.
>>
>>7499663
Prose are words arranged in such a way that they stimulate your imagination when reading.
>>
>>7503476
Anything written is prose, wtf is wrong with /lit/.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.