[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good, modern, dystopian novels?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: orwell.jpg (96 KB, 362x503) Image search: [Google]
orwell.jpg
96 KB, 362x503
What are some good, modern, dystopian novels?
>>
>>7499654
Why? That genre has been done to death and ran in to the ground. Read something else.
>>
>>7499655
I didn't really started to get into it till recently. Read 1984, brave new world and now I, robot. And it gets really annoying to read the wrong views about the future. I thought maybe there is some modern novel out there that I would actually fully enjoy.
>>
Hunger Games
>>
>>7499712
On goodreads it's considered a good modern dystopian novel. Is it really as good as the plebs say??
>>
Submission - Michel Houellebecq

Less known classics

We - Yevgueni Zamiatin
Kallocain - Karin Boye
>>
>>7499731
It's alright, though MC is an insufferable cunt Mary Sue. It's YA, just don't go expecting a good plot or good writing, it's just mindless entertainment
>>
File: 1450461650781.jpg (89 KB, 900x501) Image search: [Google]
1450461650781.jpg
89 KB, 900x501
Feed by M. T. Anderson
>>
File: fassbender.jpg (69 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
fassbender.jpg
69 KB, 720x480
>>7499731
Its pop literature. It makes teenagers feel smart for reading books.
>>
>>7499654

Infinite Jest

Not even kidding.
>>
>>7499661
>future views of BNW, 1984
>wrong

You are, right now, on the front page of the great interactive idiot box. It is able to provide selfish, infinitely renewable, quickly gratifying escapism while constantly spying on you.

>fuck you anon if BNW is true then where's my soma and orgies

Yeah where's all the epsilon midgets bagging my groceries? Obviously, BNW and 1984 are greatly exaggerated just to get the point across.

The message is supposed to spread far and wide, so the works are intentionally easy to read. As such, any criticism to the effect of "it's bad because it's too easy and popular so it's bad :(" is just babby's first contrarian opinion. If you crave something that's more aesthetically pleasing as well as more obscure then go ahead and read Zamyatin's We.
>>
>>7499731
It is a good, fun read if you want to pass time. It only gets hyped up because of the movie.
>>
File: 7326876._UY475_SS475_.jpg (47 KB, 475x475) Image search: [Google]
7326876._UY475_SS475_.jpg
47 KB, 475x475
I'm surprised /lit/ hasn't taken to this book yet. Written while the author was dying of cancer, it supposes a liberal healthcare-based dystopia where "lifeism" is the dominant ideology - where no one gets sick, no one is ever exposed to anything nasty or upsetting, and no one is ever unkind; and none of this is because of the secret police or the magic mind control drugs or anything cheesy like that, which I liked. The novel follows the exploits of three schoolgirls who try to kill themselves as an act of protest against "lifeism". Think No Longer Human but with utopia.
>>
>>7499924
We is good. read We you guys.
>>
>>7499654
Why would someone write about a dystopia when we already live in one?
>>
File: 1447870593999.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447870593999.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
>>7501423
I agree with you, anon.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.