[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will I enjoy these books if I've become really paranoid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Will I enjoy these books if I've become really paranoid and frustrated about the whole 9/11 was an inside job, corporations control the world, new world order is soon upon us thing?
>>
You should read them anyway. But yes, you should be able to enjoy them. They're very funny.
>>
>>7499354
>whole 9/11 was an inside job, corporations control the world, new world order is soon upon us thing
babby's first conspiracies
>>
bin laden didn;t blow up the projects

it was u nigga

tell the truth nigga
>>
They're satirical. They make fun of conspiracy theories.
>>
File: brainfarce_page_1.jpg (140 KB, 1098x229) Image search: [Google]
brainfarce_page_1.jpg
140 KB, 1098x229
babby want some products with his dementia, mebe some water filters or some naturopathic remedies?
>>
>>7499354
stop smoking weed for four months and see how you feel afterwards
>>
>>7499467
never smoked weed tbqh
>>
No. They're not really paranoid or too conspiratorial.
Basically just potty humor fantasy lit with a clear good side vs a bad side that uses counterculture and conspiracy as a window dressing

Read Pynchon for what you're after
You're worried about real stuff

How do you worry about real stuff in a book with 50,000 conspiracies zany characters with no sense of fear and absolutely no rooting in realism or room for real skepticism
>>
>>7499502
You're worried about shit that doesn't add up to most people's minds. Here's a tip: you're not special. You don't have any unique insight into the world that other people miss. Spend more time listening to others instead of indulging in masturbatory conspiracy fantasies.
>>
>>7499530
>Abandon basic reasoning and fear because others say so.
You literally are a worthless human being, biologically. Or a woman.
>>
>>7499548
>Abandon ... fear ...
yes
>>
>>7499514
I was planning to start with Pynchon for a long time. What book should I start with?

>>7499530
I don't think I'm special, or smart, or above anyone (to exclude mindless sheep that are hypnotized by consumerism and/or militarism with which a decent dialog is impossible).
I know I am powerless and have no ability to change anything, but I do think these "high matters" affect every aspect of our lives, and I can't help but getting mad about it.
>>
Read Foucault's Pendulum and Bleeding Edge instead. You'll thank me.

-t. psychedelic paranoid schizophrenic
>>
>>7499569
First one sounds very cool. Is Bleeding Edge the best Pynchon novel to start with?
>>
>>7499514

You haven't paid attention to the books, did you?

>Potty humor
Citation needed. Can't remember scat content at all.

>a clear good side vs a bad side
You're never sure until the end. Many characters seem to be "bad" in the beginning (Harry Coin) and later turn out to be "good." Some "bad" characters (Robert Drake; the black cop) actually have an interesting backstory that explains why they chose one route than the other.

>absolutely no rooting in realism

Read "The Cosmic Trigger." Many things in the books (Discordia, The Illuminati Theories, the Occult Material, the Rituals, the Sex Magick, Lovecraft) are based on real books, real persons, and real events;
But it's not surprising that people miss that, because some stuff requires specific, and even experiential, knowledge. The novels are actually on pair with Ulysses in terms of actual content, but of course many here would dismiss this because muh drugz, muh stail, and, the most important of all, muh okkultizm and magik aren't real. (And /lit/ in general thinks that if the books doesn't feature page long sentences constructed from the most esoteric words in English language that ruminate on baby's existentialism and nihilism, then they are not worth reading.)

>room for real skepticism
That's missing the point really hard. If you paid attention at what was happening in the books, you would see how the book can makes you a skeptic.

To OP, you should read, because the reason you're preoccupied and aware of conspiracies is partly to this trilogy, which gave a spark to the whole conspiracy business in the first place. The books are full of references and if you guess them then it's a hilarious and enlightening read.
>>
I thought this book was pretty entertaining for what it is. It's a fun read and I wonder why it's not talked about here so often
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.