[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ what translation of brothers karamazov should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Unknown.jpg (10 KB, 184x275) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
10 KB, 184x275
Hey /lit/ what translation of brothers karamazov should I get?

Also questions that don't deserve their own thread thead
>>
Just get fucking Garnett, you aren't special
>>
>>7499033
Russian.
>>
I'd suggest looking at the beginning of each online and seeing which style you prefer.

I personally really like P&V, it's a big plus that the wife translates Russian Orthodox theology books professionally, and the husband is a professional prose stylist.
>>
>>7499033
Garnett or Pee in the Vee
>>
Has any one read this? Is it any good?
>>
>>7499070
I've got a copy. I've tried reading it two or three times and I've dropped it by the second chapter each time.

It's great, but I've never felt "ready" to read it because the prose is weird/difficult and it feels like a lot is going over my head. I'd recommend looking it up on Amazon via desktop so you can preview the first chapter or so.
>>
>>7499070
How to into Gass?
>>
I have both the Fagles and the Fitzgerald translations of The Odyssey, has anyone that has read either tell me some pros and cons? I read the Fagles translation of The Iliad, and it was pretty good, aside from some individual lines.
>>
>>7499299
I think Fitzgerald's verse is better, but they're both fairly liberal translations compared to Lattimore or Rodney Merrill.
>>
>>7499323
Thanks, are there any differences I should know about between the spellings of names between translations?
>>
>>7499033
Wikipedia has an excellent section on translations of TBK, which I recommend you read if you're indecisive

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brothers_Karamazov#Translations

I personally read the David McDuff penguin translation, which wikipedia reckons is the most faithful, although in some cases odd, for example in several cases McDuff chooses to use a Russian loanword where it isn't strictly necessary, although his notes (at the end of the book) are very comprehensive and useful.

I haven't read the P&V translation of TBK, but I've been reading their translation of Anna Karenina and it flows very well and also has good notes, so I assume TBK is solid as well.

Seriously though, choose either P&V or Mcduff, I had a shot at the Garnett version (from Project Gutenberg) of TBK before I bought a hard copy and it truly is noticeably worse.
>>
Thoughts on Tom Robbins? I'm readying Still life with Woodpecker a the moment and he seems like a hack.
>>
The P&V one is the best, just go with that.
>>
>>7499857
yeah, if you like bumpy, uneven prose composed by a geriatric granny who barely speaks cohesive english and an old fart who admits that constance garnett is effectively the greatest translator.
>>
What is the best translation of The Histories?
>>
>translation
>>
>reading a translation
>a translation
>reading

nice plebbing itt

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEl59biItfY
>>
this is only mildly related, but I'm reading Crime and Punishment currently, translated by Constance Garnett. What the fuck is a, "kammerjunker?"
>>
>>7501763

a scoundrel who presses hands
>>
>>7501082
from the same channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_UUzj2DpkI
>>
>>7499060

Eh, they're pretty bad IMO. A very literal translation that retains a lot of Russian sentence structure (which can sound crap in English.) It's readable, it just seems very clunky. Maybe that's how Dostoyevsky sounds in Russian. From what I've read of McDuff it seems to have less of this problem.
>>
>>7501901
>Maybe
post away. I can speak Russian.
>>7501763
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%80-%D1%8E%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B5%D1%80
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.