[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post books you're reading. /sci/ just reads textbooks.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Post books you're reading.

/sci/ just reads textbooks.

>Euclid's Elements
>J.S. Mill's Principles of Political Economy
>Homer's Iliad
>Plato's Republic
>Darwin's Origin of Species

The Origin of Species is immaculate. An incredible read for anyone wondering how evolution works, even how incipient species originate.
>>
>reading outdated science books
lol you're a retard. if you want to learn about evolution, read a textbook.
>>
>>7498722
Not sure if delusional freshman or delusional NEET
>>
>>7498800
>>7498745

give him a break you spergs, he's just young
>>
>>7498722
Unless you're interested in the history of science, what's the point of reading old science books? Sincere question, open to the floor.
>>
>Fichte - First and Second Introductions to the Wissenschaftslehre
>Spinoza - Ethics
>Freitag and Busam - Complex Analysis
>>
>. During "the eclipse of Darwinism" from the 1880s to the 1930s, various other mechanisms of evolution were given more credit. With the development of the modern evolutionary synthesis in the 1930s and 1940s, Darwin's concept of evolutionary adaptation through natural selection became central to modern evolutionary theory, and it has now become the unifying concept of the life sciences.

So the work is still relevant, you retards. Also, if you're looking into a history of the evolution of scientific thought that is never a bad thing. Studying Copernicus or Archimedes was never a bad thing, not is it uninteresting in the slightest.
>>
>>7498918
There isn't one.
>>
>>7498722
>Origin of species
>Dated
>True in any way
>>
>>7498999
Origin of species, voyage of the beagle are two of Darwin's books I'd highly recommend - he didn't know of genes so some parts of modern darwinism are missing, but it's still a great exposure of clear, straightforward thought you can learn from
>>
bump

Best /lit/ thread I've seen in ages.
>>
>>7498722
>The Origin of Species is immaculate. An incredible read for anyone wondering how evolution works, even how incipient species originate.
Hoo boy. This is some unbridled enthusiasm right here
>>
>>7498948
OH SHIT. Fichte and spinoza are my guys. You going through german philosophy chronologically?
>>
>>7499049
>philosophy
Pleb. Where are all the scientific literature
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (96 KB, 966x580) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
96 KB, 966x580
Somehow STEMfags have convinced everyone in my English department that Origin of Species has beautiful prose and is a wondrous read, etc. etc.

I've read it. 75% of the book is about pigeons. The only juicy part is when Darwin waxes philosophic about the struggle for existence for 2-3 pages, and a cool section on slaver ants.

STEM dilettantes just really REALLY want their literature to be interesting. You want true beauty for your tastes go read Ptolemy's Almagest and stop lying about Euclid, Apollonius, Kepler, etc. being interesting reads.
>>
>>7499057
I didn't make the original post you illiterate mongoloid.
>>
>>7499061
You should read as much of the staples as you can.
>>
>>7499049
Yeah I'm trying to go chronologically. I think Fichte is probably the most obnoxious person I've ever read but apparently his writing is really important towards understanding Hegel.
>>
>>7499108
Yeah he bridges the gap between spinoza and hegel pretty much. His theory on abstraction of experience is pretty important. He's obnoxious and self-important but absolutely brilliant considering he was primarily self-taught.
>>
>>7499094
You should. Definitely.
But to say that Origin of Species is immaculate or beautiful for all audiences is nothing more than to express a desire. A desire to make yourself appear interested in natural science, elevate yourself above "literature people," proclaim that you see something they cannot, that you, beautiful, intelligent you, are a renaissance man and absolutely everyone should go read this wonderful book.

It is an influential book. I concede that it has at least one lovely page that goes into struggle.

But it is not an immaculate work. It is not poetic. It is not beautiful. Its formal characteristics are dull, even if its intellectual worth is important.
>>
I suppose The Origin of Species would seem like an incredible read after reading any John Stuart Mill. Truly a writer for the more extreme masochists out there.
>>
File: 004536.jpg (380 KB, 1269x1536) Image search: [Google]
004536.jpg
380 KB, 1269x1536
have been reading the brothers karamazov but needed a little break despite enjoying it quite a bit, so i picked up hamlet and that shit is f u c k i n b a l l s t o t h e w a l l
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.