[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who are some authors that write well about the banality and emptiness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: cheeverx-large.jpg (40 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
cheeverx-large.jpg
40 KB, 490x368
who are some authors that write well about the banality and emptiness of suburban, middle class life? I read "The Swimmer" by pic related and thought it was bretty gud
>>
i hate when depressed shitlords like op project their banal lives onto everything and think every piece of art ever what some critique of banality...the swimmer was indeed fucking great but it was in no way a critique of "banality of suburbia" you trashy depressoid
>>
>>7497325
did you reach the end of the story?
>>
>>7497328
no i don't make it all the way through a ten page story because i'm a spastic 4chan kid with a 30 second attention span
>>
>>7497325

What's your take on the story?

I'm not OP, by the way.
>>
end of the road
stoner (tentatively)
some of dfw short stories
no one belongs here more than you
much of bukowski
>>
In McCarthy's Suttree the protagonist tries to escape exactly that the entire novel.
>>
>>7497366
let me guess you're that tard who thought gravity's rainbow was an anti-war novel
>>
Jernigan -David Gates
>>
Something Happened by Joseph Heller, unless you wanted something contemporary (this novel is set in ~1950s). side note: don't expect the same level of humor (or really any humor at all) as Catch-22.
>>
File: 1446153115570.png (161 KB, 469x282) Image search: [Google]
1446153115570.png
161 KB, 469x282
>>7497472

>le random belligerence xD
>>
>>7497596
it was about a lot of things, but i don't see how an epic journey like that is some kind of meditation on "banality", whining about "the daily grind" is for people with no discernible talent like bukowski
>>
>>7497596
>le above the sheep faec
>>
>>7497596
it figures you would post a screencap from that dumb interview...that whole embarrassing thing just showed what a lightweight thinker dfw was...it was just bad
>>
>>7497608
>>7497629
>>7497641

There's no need to be upset.
>>
>>7497654
i just wish people with no clue would go to reddit where they will be at home
>>
>>7497654
DUDE LSD LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>7497659
say...what happened to that lsd thread anyways
>>
>>7497662
It hit a little too close to home for the mods.
>>
>>7497310
The Stories of John Cheever are all really good. Goodbye, My Brother and The Country Husband are especially beautiful. Cheever ends all of his stories incredibly well.

>>7497423
There's a part in Brief Interviews With Hideous Men that's just DFW neurotically describing a guy sitting next to his pool IIRC. Fits the bill pretty well.
>>
>>7497608

>it was about a lot of things,

Like what anon?
>>
>>7497310
>>7497679
Also if you like Cheever, this artist Golden Suits is pretty much a tribute to him and he's really good. One of his music videos is just him buying every copy of The Stories of John Cheever he can to hand out.
>>
richard yates in general
>>
File: 74524351234.png (253 KB, 496x496) Image search: [Google]
74524351234.png
253 KB, 496x496
The Soul Is not a Smithy
>>
>>7497684
well most obviously it was about relationships, but of course that's lost on autistic types...but do you really think if he wanted to highlight the banality of the burbs he would do it some way that's clearly inspired by homer? every house was the same with a pool in the backyard yet every house had a different story...if anything he was highlighting the hidden heterogeneity of suburban life...but there were also things about alcohol use, stages of life, class, etc. it's a great piece of art, not some disposable political crap
>>
>>7497700
that's sexist (and possible homophobic) you little bitch, why don't you kill yoself
>>
File: 1449017252721.png (322 KB, 392x432) Image search: [Google]
1449017252721.png
322 KB, 392x432
>>7497719
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.