[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't any elitists revived Latin as a living language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
Why haven't any elitists revived Latin as a living language like the Jews did with their Hebrew?
>>
>>7496853

I'll take "Things that are the Vatican City" for 200
>>
>>7496864
I thought they just mostly used Italian these days?

Do they have small talk in Latin in the hallways?
>>
This is a valid idea. People should start writing works in Latin (preferably medieval latin instead of roman worshipping).
>>
>>7496878

The janitors, gardens, and such use Italian, but when all the initiated men and women get together, it's Latin.

How else does the Nigerian Priest communicate with the Chinese Nun?
>>
>>7496883
Boethius be praised!
*winks valve agreeably*
>>
>>7496853

It really helps when the elitists are running their own country and make it so you have to pass a Hebrew exam in order to get benefits in said country.

There is no nation where knowledge of Latin is required for citizenship.
>>
>>7496889
must be comfy being a vatican gardener
>>
>>7496853
Latin doesn't belong to any ethnic group unlike Hebrew or Irish or whatever. Outside of the Catholic church it's really only used by some Latin nerds in university as far as I know.

Unless you want to read Latin works in the original language I can't really think of a reason for your average person to become fluent.
>>
File: original.jpg (217 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
217 KB, 2000x1000
>>7496864
/thread
>>
>>7497424
they only use latin in official documents fym
>>
they did you tard, what did you think the middle ages was about?

we stopped because latin is a shit language. go learn greek.
>>
>>7497456
What do you consider bad about Latin?
>>
>>7497447
True, but Jews only use hebrew in religious texts; it's only a "living language" more so than latin is in Israel, but Israel is unique because it was explicitly established as a modern incarnation of something ancient. This isn't likely to happen with latin, since Israel was (in theory) created as a reparation for the holocaust.

I guess rome could be reinstated if there was some kind of genocide, but who would it be against?

Hebrew has connections to Israel's sovereignty which has connections to the jewish religion which has connections to the jewish ethnicity, and those connections are basically why it's been revived. Latin just isn't like that.
>>
How would you recommend learning Latin? Which books, etc
>>
>>7496949
>ywn
>>
>>7497447
No, they do speak it during synods and things like that. Benedict XVI resigned in Latin and that was only a couple of years ago. It's not as common as it was before Vatican II but it is still used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exSZqcQ3YZw
>>
>>7498910
Speech without translation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_271es-StQ
>>
did vatican II kill the church, lads?
>>
>>7498890
"Learn to read Latin" by Keller and Russell. Get the workbook too. Do all the drills, exercises and read all the vocab notes. Do one hour every day, not matter what. Don't take a single day off. Once you finish Keller and Russell you should be at a point where you are able to read any Latin text with a Dictionary. Do 1 hour a day, and you should be at a very respectable level in a year, if that's the only language you're learning at the time.
>>
>>7499980
nah, it's all the liberal theologians that took the most extreme interpretation (distortion) of Vatican II and the lukewarmness of both clergy and laity in general.

The main heresy current in the Church is religious indifferentism (all religions are equal) / the idea that there is salvation outside of the Church. The radical liberals want to take an obscure theological speculation about the salvation of those who are "invincibly ignorant" of certain Church doctrines and twist it into the idea that everyone is saved and hell is empty, whereas the practically unanimous teaching of all the fathers and saints is that there are more people damned than saved.
>>
>>7496889
>Nigerian Priest communicate with the Chinese Nun
Absolutely haram
>>
>>7496853
The humanists tried to do that in the renaissance. It didn't really work for obvious reasons.
>>
what does catho/lit/ think of SSPX?
>>
>>7500028
well I don't speak for all of /lit/ but here's what I think

they're basically schismatic; I don't know if Rome explicitly says they are and I've heard arguments from both sides that they are / are not in schism, but even if they are not officially in schism I'm quite sure they have a schismatic mentality about them. You see, they don't just see themselves as being the preservers of the Tridentine Rite, but as the Traditionalists who need to save the Church, and this "save the Church" mentality has led to them being disobedient. They don't really answer to Rome. They don't have a canonical place in the Church, as far as I am aware. They have set up their own marriage tribunals in opposition to the Church's. Only just recently Pope Francis granted SSPX priests the right to validly administer the Sacrament of Penance (confession), so presumably the absolutions for confessed sins granted by SSPX priests before that time were doubtful. A similar society to the SSPX is the FSSP, which is more humble in that it sees itself as preserving the Tridentine Rite and certain older ways of doing things, and not as the saviours of the Church; they ARE in union with Rome.

The fact that SSPX is schismatic to me is that I've heard SSPX people talk of people that aren't in the SSPX, that just go to their regular parish, as "Novus Ordites", and they refer to the Church in union with Rome as the "Novus Ordo" or "Conciliar" Church, which practically implies that they see themselves as not being in union with Rome.

http://www.culturewars.com/CultureWars/Archives/Fidelity_archives/SSPX6.htm
http://www.culturewars.com/SSPX.htm
>>
>>7500103
the grievances of the people in the SSPX are often legitimate; they are often just running away from evil priests who abuse the liturgy to the traditional liturgy where everything is orderly and the priest isn't allowed to insert his own ideology into it. Thing is, disobedience is never justified, and the SSPX are disobedient. They think they are saving the Church from heretics but every schismatic sect believes the same thing. In their defence there are a lot of problems in the current Church that need to be addressed and the SSPX is trying to highlight them, but that is still no reason at all to stand outside of communion with the rest of the Church.
>>
>>7498890
Lingua Latina per se Illustrata, Wheelock's Latin and Evan der Millner on Youtube.
>>
>>7496949
>not being an anonymous gardener in venice whilst writing the second best german lit of the century
>>
>>7500019
Does this image trigger you, Anon?
>>
>>7500462

No, what is absolutely haram is the male female contact. That's why I live in a convent and stay away from the opposite gender.
>>
>>7499986
What was the official pre-Vatican II view on Eastern Orthodox? Buncha heretics?
>>
File: franciscus.jpg (503 KB, 881x1600) Image search: [Google]
franciscus.jpg
503 KB, 881x1600
>>7500683
>nuns are shitposting on /lit/ right now
>>
who /brother juniper/ here?
>>
>>7496890
kek, truly this is the start of a good cycle.
>>
>>7499980
Yes
>>
>Innuens quod nemo Latina loquitur quodque scientiarum lingua non est.
>>
>>7496949
>Ywn have a short intermezzo with the pope, who after years of loyal service, took an interest in you and asks you how your novel is going
>>
>>7496853

It's really annoying OP. Latin was a spoken language well into the Renaissance.

Not speaking/hearing a language really cripples you with reading it. You can get breddy damn gud at reading but you still never reach a point of reading Latin as well as someone who speaks fluent Italian can read Italian.

It comes down to there being no money in Latin. Few people learn it. We'd rather train people in Hospital Administration and Sociology and "Business".
>>
>>7503744

Should be "Latine loquitur".

>>7498890

Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata is best because you get a decent amount of reading practice. Something like Wheelock's gives you nowhere near enough practice. It's like going from reading "See Dick Run" books to Shakespeare. However the idea that you will naturally absorb the complexities of Latin grammar is not strictly true, though you'll absorb a lot. You'll want to buy Allen & Greenough and work through it or at least refer to it to understand things.

>>7497456

You should learn both.
>>
While im, too, skeptical about the possibility of Latin ever making a comeback, it's importent to remember Hebrew wasn't revived naturally, or easily.

No jewish settler was a hebrew speaker. It's literally one guy who was obssesed with the language, who renewed it and dedicated his life to taking the language of the old testament and changing it so it fits everyday use at the 20th century.
Shit is possible. What you do need, though, is a new country.
>>
I would pay to send my kids to a Latin immersion Catholic school if there were such a thing.
>>
>>7504791
I wouldn't be surprised if such a thing does exist somewhere. All sorts of experimental religious and classical schools have popped up over the last few decades in the US (the situation may be different for less free countries).

And I'm with you, the last thing I will do is cripple my children with a public school education.
>>
File: Vatican_latin_atm.jpg (165 KB, 964x643) Image search: [Google]
Vatican_latin_atm.jpg
165 KB, 964x643
>>7496878
check it
>>
>>7500026
>obvious
???
>>
>>7504368
>You should learn both.
Why?
>>
File: neat.jpg (45 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
neat.jpg
45 KB, 400x324
>>7504829

>future imperative

>>7504975

Why not? There's great literature in both.
>>
File: 456456435.png (137 KB, 287x316) Image search: [Google]
456456435.png
137 KB, 287x316
>>7504829
>Latin finally gets revived
>Comic sans
>>
erigo
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.