[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reading foreword to Men Among The Ruins >starts talking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 1450269396239.jpg (56 KB, 596x576) Image search: [Google]
1450269396239.jpg
56 KB, 596x576
>reading foreword to Men Among The Ruins
>starts talking about how traditional "history" was supratemporal, being based on space and rhythm rather than time
Am I supposed to understand this before I start the book proper? What does Evola mean?
>>
>>7496674
THANK YOU EBOLA-CHAN
I LOVE YOU EBOLA-CHAN
>>
Seriously, can anyone help? I thought Evola had a mild following on here.
>>
>>7496760
Nah. Max Stirner is our hero (but we all want to be Wittgenstein).
You should try /pol/, I feel that their batshit insanity about conservatism inclines them towards Evola.
>>
>>7496763
Yeah, but they misinterpret his ideas. He himself said in an interview that he agreed with mainstream anthropology on physical race, and only came into contact with fascism via coincidence, considering Hitler to be dangerous and proletarian. I want spiritual enlightenment, not an excuse to be a skinhead.
>>
>>7496760
He had one follower. And he was an idiot.
>>
>>7496783
The past few days have generated a couple of serious discussions on him, though not very knowledgeable; I think that my question will be answered in time, nonetheless.
>>
>>7496778
Haven't read Evola, but before or view on History as the development of different civilizations through time, humanity used to take their myths, folklore and information via oral transmission as History. Most mythologies have this idea of time being circular, everything in the physical world being predetermined by gods or supernatural criatures and their ancients as an example of the behavior they themselves were going to adopt.
>>
>>7496794
That helps, thank you. It was talking about how Modernity interprets history from mythology, but Tradition interprets mythology from history.
>>
>>7496806
He was surely referring to this. I don't remember who I read it from, but it sure was from some philosopher I've studied. Evola probably assumed his readers would've read it too.
>>
>>7496817
Could it have been Rene Guenon? It seems like something he would write.
>>
Modern conception of history as a progressive line starts with the Reneissance and Enlightenment.
>>
>>7496872
What conception predates that, though?
>>
Try his non-political works first. Also others roughly contemporary with him, whether it be Guenon (whom I haven't read), Jünger, Strauss, Voegelin, Scheler, Schmitt (again, haven't read), etc. Nietzsche is a helpful reference point. You will start to see a pattern among these and others they refer to. Don't limit yourself to one and to only their relatively political work. The history question seems not easy to answer. Though "history" is a greek word meaning inquiry our "history" as a universal, objective line through time from creation/big bang has hebrew and scientific revolutionary roots.
>>
>>7496969
Thank you, this fully answered my question.

Feel free to use this thread as an Evola general.
>>
Has anyone here read his work on Buddhism? What are your thoughts on it?
>>
>>7496674
Oops, I meant Revolt Against The Modern World, not Men Among The Ruins.
>>
I'm going to read Ride the Tiger once I finish N's Will to Power. What are /lit/'s thoughts on that book?
>>
>>7496674
Think in 'cycles' seasons, larger period, prosperity then fall, age of heroes, etc.

This shit is not hard. It just means people in the past didn't catalogue history as we think of it nowadays
>>
>>7498196
What is an age of heroes?
>>
>>7498774
Extra bump
>>
I might read Guenon before Evola, is this a better idea?
>>
>>7498213
Its an indeterminate time in the past where stories of heroes come from.

ancient Greece was a age of heroes, king Arther time etc.
>>
>>7496993
Started Doctrine of Awakening some weeks ago, but only made it a few chapters in before I got distracted by finals. He dwells on an idea that asceticism is the ideal of Buddhism, even though the Shakyamuni Buddha said asceticism is shit, so it seems Evola is using a different connotation of that word. And there's some praise of Aryan races. I stopped reading before he got any deeper into whatever he was aiming to speak about. I'm going to continue the book soon, but what I've read seemed incorrect as someone who knows a decent amount about Buddhism
>>
>>7500166
I decided to do the same. Evola makes way too many references, he even mentions Stirner.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.