[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get my pleb tier gf away from memecore genre fiction?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: 1448135768295.jpg (58 KB, 580x277) Image search: [Google]
1448135768295.jpg
58 KB, 580x277
How do I get my pleb tier gf away from memecore genre fiction?

>Harry pottery nerd
>prized possession is a signed John green novel
>shys away from my recommendations (McCarthy, Dostoevsky, Camus) because she feels like they will make her "lose hope in the world"

Surely there's an accessible launch point into /lit/fiction that I don't know of.
>>
>>7496029
Tell her to start with the Greeks
>>
>>7496029
>memecore genre fiction?

>posts pynchon
>>
>>7496042
I was implying the shitty YA sort.

She doesn't like King though so she's not in too deep r-right guys?
>>
>>7496053
>not liking King
Nice meme.
>>
Tell her to read Lot 49 and tell her not to worry about understanding all of it.

I finished it a week or so ago and it was a lot of fun. It's been a long time since I've had that much fun reading.
>>
>>7496053
king is better than pynchon
>>
>>7496029
>McCarthy, Dostoevsky
>"lose hope in the world"
Well your gf is ignorant. Dosto is Christian as fuck, and McCarthy writes a lot of beautiful shit
>>
>>7496108
>>7496133
Hi Steve
>>
Did you know that opiates can simulate the feeling of an orgasm, only for longer and with greater intensity? Or that a good acid trip is better than the best sex and doesn't cost a fraction of the price?

We live in a world where chemicals can create pleasures that people a few hundred years ago could t have even imagined. And with very little side effects too.

So with all this artificial pleasure out there, why are you wasting time on someone you look down on? To have sex once a week? To pretend you aren't alone in the universe? To fit in?

You want an accessible launch point? Dump her, get a fuckbuddy, drop some speed and devote more time to reading
>>
>>7496590
>pleasures that people a few hundred years ago could t have even imagined
>what are elusynian mysteries
>>
>>7496029
realize not everyone has the same interests and taste that you do and forget the whole thing
>>
>>7496590
>drugs have no side effects.
>>
File: retrouvailles.gif (980 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
retrouvailles.gif
980 KB, 500x375
>>7496029
McCarthy shows both the beauty and brutality of the world. If anything it would further a resolve to take the "good" from the bad.

Dosto and Camus would be able to show her, her place in the world and her sense of understanding to the point of life.

However, it seems your gf is a child and only wants childish things. Break up immediately and order a prostitute.
>>
>>7496597

as long asyou are experienced enough to not do stupid shit like jump off buildings and as long as you don't have a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia there really are not any side effects or negative health effects of regular psychedelics like mushrooms, LSD, etc
>>
Dostoevsky is easily accessible if you start with novellas like The Double and Notes from Underground. For me, they assisted in my appreciation and understanding of anxieties, depression, isolation and introversion. Most people would probably just hear the name Dostoevsky and wince at how polysyllabic it is, dismissing him completely.
>>
>>7496029
If a book can make her lose hope in the world, why have it in the first place?
>>
>>7496029

Steinbeck. Anything by Steinbeck. Chicks dig Steinbeck. He's not particularly bleak. He is warm, engaging and accessible without being complete and utter shit.
>>
>>7496590

>Implying you can stay happy for any considerable amount of time on opioids

If you're one of the 0.1% who can successfully chip a few times a month without succumbing to addiction, you have the golden key. The golden key to enjoying lazy hedonism a few times a month, as if that really matters.If not, that orgasm that you strive for will quickly turn into a dick that perpetually fucks your soul in the ass.
>>
File: 1321760145282.jpg (10 KB, 450x355) Image search: [Google]
1321760145282.jpg
10 KB, 450x355
>He fell for the gf meme
>>
>>7496681
I only do painkillers and opium (which btw can be grown for free in your garden). Dont be an idiot who shoots up smack and you'll be fine
>>
>>7496601
Didn't Harold Bloom suggest that people who grew up reading shit will be unwilling to escape that purgatory? Thoughts?
>>
>>7496742
underrated post
>>
Just keep her cute and dumb, OP.
>>
>>7496851

How often, anon?

I go through repetitions of 1-week binges, 2-4-weeks abstinence and have since I discovered opioids a year and a half ago.
>>
>>7496590
>What is an acid head
>What is a heroin addict
I've had some incredible experiences on psychadelics and I've went through the worst things in my life on psychadelics. I would give up all of those memories for a mutual, lasting love with somebody.

Drugs are a fun distraction that can provide some insights that you wouldn't find elsewhere, but they can also be horrible and destructive.
>>
>>7496029
Don't bother: it's too late. Either dump her or deal with it.
>>
>>7496968
A bad acid trip was kind of an awakening for me that I needed to take relationships more seriously. I realized how frail my connections to others were, that I had no one to share my sincere thoughts with, it was the most lonely and bleak I've ever felt. I think I briefly glimpsed psychosis
>>
>>7496980
Oh yeah, I've had what I think was an ego death on a lot of shrooms. Rolled around in bed for an hour trying to figure out if I was alive, and if I was alive who I was. I could only imagine myself as a few of my friends that I could manage to remember at that time, and none of them worked. Having your identity stripped away from you is an awful thing.
>>
>>7496936
this
>>
>>7496590
DUDE LSD LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>7497006

It's a supremely beautiful thing anon, if you're ready for it.
>>
>>7497017
>trying to keep relationships on an even plane
Dear God what was I thinking? That actually lends perspective.
>>
>>7497006
I've had a similar experience, but that's not really what's meant by "ego death"
>>
>>7497027
I thought I was ready for it, and actively wanted it. Definitely wasn't.

>>7497047
I think that if it wasn't ego death, then it was it's disfigured younger cousin. I had no idea who I was, but I definitely hadn't "let go" of reality and frantically wanted to get my identity and sense of things back.
>>
>>7497006
Wow. I already have a shitty opinion of myself, are shrooms just going to amplify that? I'm fairly curious now.
>babbys second substance abuse
>>
>>7496590
>a good acid trip is better than the best sex and doesn't cost a fraction of the price
how much do you typically pay for sex?
>>
>>7497059

Maybe. Roughly, you could say they function as psychological amplifiers, making whatever you're feeling magnitudes stronger. So if you're feeling shitty, you'd feel tremendously, cosmically shitty.

On the other hand, some people have cathartic trips, and finds themselves catapulted out of ongoing depressions. You may start to love yourself a little more, and cease being so hard on yourself.

I'd say go for it, but go very low with the dose. Less is more with psychedelics, in most cases at least. No need to get overwhelmed. If you have the opportunity, it's a good idea to have a benzodiazepine in your stash. If a trip becomes utterly unbearable, they can be used to abort. Just the knowledge of having one, without ever using it, can be a psychological benefit.

And read a bunch of trip-reports on erowid, and seek out different sources for advice.
>>
>>7497059
They might. They might not. Shrooms are kinder than LSD. One's mother nature, the other's electricity. Take them with good friends or go out and wander the countryside on a nice day.
>>
break up with her, what the fuck do you guys even talk about? Hermione being black? fan theories about the hunger games?

this makes me so happy that my qt3.14 gf is close to patrician
>read the entire starter pack
>read a ton of medieval and classical eastern texts
>going back and reading the greeks currently
>>
>>7497121
We don't /lit/talk, any time I try to it mostly just bounces back to myself because she doesn't care, or just goes 'muh hope' as I said in OP.

It just bothers me not to be able to engage with her on that level.
>>
>tfw no docile gf to mold to my liking
>>
>>7496029
You read what you want, and she will inevitably follow suit if she cares about you. Don't push anything, don't make any suggestions unless asked. If she talks to you about a book you don't like, say "I don't know," or "That's nice." If you try to talk about a book and it doesn't interest her, stop talking altogether. If you truly cannot handle being with a girl that doesn't like your books RIGHT NOW, break up.
>>
There are no patrician girls at my uni senpai. I met one girl who had actually read Saramago and heard of 2666, but she doesnt even go there. All literature majors dont even read or read shitty pop lit and it kills me because the stereotype that english majors are dumb is pretty much entirely accurate.

My advice OP is to just stick with it because theres no other option. She thinks she doesnt have hope in the world? I'm sick of everything, and the everythingness of everything.
>>
>>7497144
It seems pretty easy to say that everyone on /lit/ is like this, but I think most people are too.

To share the things you like with someone and for them to accept those things as their own is a powerful notion of unconditional acceptance and openness. It's like sharing your own little microcosm with someone that accepts it fully, and not because they lack free-will, but because they accept your entirety fully.
>>
>>7496601
<thread/>
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.