[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think is the most accessible Cormac McCarthy novel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: cormac-mccarthy-4.jpg (32 KB, 242x332) Image search: [Google]
cormac-mccarthy-4.jpg
32 KB, 242x332
What do you think is the most accessible Cormac McCarthy novel /lit/? My girlfriend has decided that she's going to start reading him after I've been going about how he's my favourite author for such a long time but I was wondering what do you think is the most accessible book of his? I suggested No Country, just because of how successful the film was and it's not really as hard a read as say Blood Meridian, Child of God or The Road can be.
>>
>Most accessible:
The Road
>Most difficult:
Blood Meridian
>Best:
Suttree
>>
>>7495501
The Road is fast and she can just blast through teh really weird parts

but really if he's your favorite what's going on there man. He's written some fine books but I can't imagine him as a favorite level
>>
>>7495501
The questions is...why would you want to read such a shit author?
>>
>>7495513

I'm still kind of a pleb in literature, honestly I only really started reading extensively late last year. So I'm open to some recommendations.
>>
>>7495521
What's your favorite part about McCarthy?
>>
>>7495531

Honestly I love his ability to capture both the good and ugly side of humanity in his writings as well as the way he describes nature, if that makes any sense?
>>
>>7495513
Backhanded compliment bait. Subtle.
>>7495521
>Falling for the bait

McCarthy as a favorite is perfectly reasonable and justifiable. Its not like he is listing off DFW or a purple prose faggot like Nabokov.
>>
>>7495511
This is right.
>>
>>7495540
i gotcha

you should really try out:
William Gaddis - Carpenter's Gothic (just read this recently...10/10 from me)
any James Joyce really. Dubliners is a good start but if you want some more fire to start with, go with Portrait of the Artist

also Flaubert's Madame Bovary
>>
>>7495546
>thinking someone can't be serious in what they say

and listing ANYONE as a favorite is valid. I was just curious what makes McCarthy a favorite. And now i've given him some nice lil recs

stay mad
>>
>>7495552

Thanks anon, I've got Ulysses, which I intend to read at some point, although my girlfriend said that I should read Homers Odyssey before I read that
>>
>>7495574
I highly suggest doing what your lady said. The entire book is modeled after Odyssey with each chapter following the arc of the episodes from Homer

reading Joyce chronologically is great too though. It lets you really see and feel his style evolve from tasteful realism to just game-changing mastery of his language (and others)

Portrait for sure you should tackle as it introduces you to Stephen Daedalus (who shows up in Ulysses)
>>
>>7495552
>>7495566
>Any of those better than Blood Meridian
Cmon senpai. The only one that might come close is Portrait. baka I would agree that delving into some Joyce would be a good next step though.
>>
>>7495581
Blood Meridian got pretty stale real fast for me. I get that the point is just over saturation of violence to make a point, but after the first 60 pages i just lost steam to read it
>>
>>7495546
>purple prose
>Nabokov
What books exactly are you referring to?
>>
>>7495511
How is Blood Meridian most difficult
>>
remember when /lit/ loved mccarthy
>>
>>7496020
I'm glad that long nightmare is finally over.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.