[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommendations for entry level Nietzsche?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 220px-Nietzsche187a.jpg (14 KB, 220x298) Image search: [Google]
220px-Nietzsche187a.jpg
14 KB, 220x298
Recommendations for entry level Nietzsche?
>>
"Nietzsche: A Very Short Introduction" by Michael Tanner is about as entry-level as it gets.
>>
Start with the Greeks.

No, seriously, start with the Presocratics, then read Plato, then read Homer, then read Vergil, then skip the Medievals because Nietzsche didn't even bother to read them, then read Hume, then read Kant, then read Schoepenhauer, then read Hegel, THEN you can read Nietzsche.
>>
>>7495094
I heard Nietzsche didn't read Hegel as well. It makes kind of sense.

I would add the French moralists and Aristotle to your list.
>>
>>7495109
I think he may have read Hegel but he sure as fuck didn't understand him.

It's just like with the Medievals. Them and Hegel--you can tell that Nietzsche either didn't read them or just misunderstood them, because otherwise his philosophy wouldn't look anything like it does.
>>
>>7495094
>No, seriously, start with the Presocratics, then read Plato, then read Homer, then read Vergil, then skip the Medievals because Nietzsche didn't even bother to read them, then read Hume, then read Kant, then read Schoepenhauer, then read Hegel, THEN you can read Nietzsche.

you forgot aristotle, nietzsche was in dialogue with this hack too
>>
>>7495119
I found the digest metaphor that Nietzsche uses in Genealogy, also in Hegel's work (I just don't remember where). Not exactly the same metaphor, but the same aproach. I always supposed he never read Hegel but had some small similarities due to coincidence.

But I might be wrong. It's being a while since I don't study both.
>>
>>7495094
>implying you can't just Kant > Schopenhauer > Nietzsche
>>
>>7495124
only in /lit/ is based Aristotle a hack
>>
>>7495180
no you can't, without hegel you don't get the full picture, even schopenhauer was responding to him in a way, even though he dismissed him.

and reading nietzsche without the greeks is a recipe for becoming a teenage edgelord, you won't understand anything.
>>
>>7495180
>>7495094
I really don't why you all read a book after another.

When I started reading Nietzsche I was reading half of his books, Aristotle, Kant, (I had already read Schoppy, Plato and Hume), Pascal and the Presocratics.

Read everything at the same time - study - make them dialogue.
>>
>>7495182
not really, all the classics people I've met are pretty divided on who has more merit. you won't get actual people saying 'aristotle is a hack' in public because you'll get into a fight with some barbarian aristotlefag but it's not that uncommon.
>>
>>7495207
>Read everything at the same time

lmao
>>
>>7495212
Just sayin you miss a lot of insights. I know it's not easy. Maybe without proper guidance is not a good idea.
>>
>>7495119
and thank goodness for that
>>
>>7495209
He is fucking Aristotle. Not the best philospher in the world... but, you know? Probably more than half of philophers in History have their philophy due to him.

I think you have to be pretty based to call him a hack.
>>
>>7495243
don't worry i am
>>
just go to reddit
>>
What is some Nietzschean fiction?
>>
>>7495243
not that guy, but he's kinda right. Aristotle is not a hack, and as you've said, nearly half of the philosophers have revised and resuscitated his philosophy in one way or another and passed it off as their own. Also, undoubtedly science, philosophy, and many other disciplines are forever indebted to him. But it's not that uncommon to encounter scholars, academics, commentators, and other philosophers (mainly of the ancient, medieval, and renaissance schools) who found fault with his teachings, not just criticism, but like actually proved him wrong. For whatever reason though, because Aristotelianism is what so many of the enlightenment philosophers used as a starting point, making it still relevant in defining the role of scientific investigation and shaping modern thought, he endures.
>>
>>7495241
>implying Nietzsche isn't thoroughly rekt by Aquinas and Duns Scotus
>>
>>7495275
Dark Souls
>>
>>7495275
Berserk
>>
>>7495094
Kill yourself.
>>7494983
Genealogy of Morals is where is started. His edgiest work by far and made me want to read the rest. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to read the entire western canon of philosophy before reading Nietzsche. You won't get 100% of everything, but you can always read the ancillary texts if you find you like his work enough to investigate further.
>>
Twilight of the Idols is what the man himself considered to be the opener to his work IIRC
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.