[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about joining the military so I can write about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 1443489070651.gif (167 KB, 499x368) Image search: [Google]
1443489070651.gif
167 KB, 499x368
I'm thinking about joining the military so I can write about my endeavors. Hopefully a total war breaks out during my stint.
>>
>>7494387
It won't happen. You're better off just selling all of your shit and backpacking.
>>
if you need to join the military for something to write you'll probably just settle into a life of mediocrity in the service and never write of worth but at least you'll stop posting so go ahead
>>
>>7494387
...so you were too stupid to get into college?
>>
Did Hemingway go to war just to write a book?
>>
>>7494395
I'm graduating from undergrad in May.
>>
>>7494402
In what?

>>7494392 has the right idea, if you really think it's worth it to throw your life away so you can write a book no one will read
>>
>>7494416
Economics and math.
>>
>>7494416
But so many people have written boring backpacking books.
>>
>>7494431
Usually narcissistic people. Use your experiences as inspiration, not necessarily tell them as they were. Most people don't have interesting stories to tell anyway, even well-lived ones.

I mean, on war books for example, you have stuff like All Quiet on the Western Front, but popularity-wise it doesn't hold a candle to, say, Catch-22 or Gravity's Rainbow, which obviously aren't accurate or literal representations of war.

So either twist your experiences, move them into another setting, or indulge a different "alternative" lifestyle.
>>
>>7494387
That's dumb as fuck.
>>
>>7494459
>Gravity's Rainbow

please leave my thread
>>
>>7494459
I wasn't op but that's good advice.
>>
No one wants to read about your life as a janitor, or sexual assault/suicide briefs, or standing in formation. These experiences are the true military.
>>
>>7494431
Meet in the middle and backpack through Syria.

>>7494395
You can't possibly sit in your seminar and consider everyone around you "intelligent". Colleges are there to educate. Their value is weighed on the odd incidental genius who reaches their peak at least ten years after graduation.
>>
>>7494465
It was only an example, no need to get whiny. If you just want to write generic Tumblr fic you can just exaggerate episodes and pretend your mediocre life as it is is meaningful enough, to each his own.
>>
>>7494478
>These experiences are the true military.

How would you know? Please tell me of your stint with the military.
>>
>>7494497
Im in the military. Have been for 8 years. Most military life is beyond boring. I deployed to Afghanistan a couple years back(non combat MOS), nothing happened of worth. I smoke cigarettes and dipped tobacco all day. I drank rip it energy drinks. I fixed electronics. That's it. Right now I teach. It's boring as fuck, I teach retards about computers and networking.
>>
>>7494497
A combat MOS might give you something to write about, but it's risky. You could die, watch your friends die, develope PTSD, or you could become cynical as fuck(most people in military).
>>
>>7494528
That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. Nothing like seeing your buddies get blown to bits, right?
>>
>>7494485
Johnathan Franzen in a nutshell
>>
>>7494539
My buddy told me about the combat life. It's nothing I want to experience man. It does seem you form the strongest bonds with the people you go to war with though.
>>
>>7494478
>>7494518
These guys are right. Just left my stint after 6 years, nothing to write home about in any shape or form, but if you have any creative inclination, it will drastically alter your sense of time and being. It's still hard to believe I joined, nonetheless spent 6 years of my life in it.

tl;dr Find a better, more useful way to write your life.
>>
>>7494387
I quite recently got out of conscription service. Obviously I didn't experience any warfare, but a guy shot himself in the leg on the same military base.

It's interesting in the sense that you have to give up all your individuality and energy to become good soldiers and a good group of soldiers. It's annoying if you have any sense of individuality.

If you have read Solitchsyn's stuff about hanging out in a gulag, you pretty much know what it's like to be in the army without war. It's pretty decent social control.

As for my experience in the army. I was a medic and spent the last three months avoiding work, reading books, watching mad men on netflix and drinking vodka cola drinks

so it was chill
>>
>>7494459
It's funny with shit like catch-22

I didn't appreciate it that much while I read it. But when I think back on it. I realize it was a pretty fun and good read
>>
>>7494648
*Solzhenitsyn
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.