[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to get one of these. I am looking at the 80 dollar version.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 61W0XGb88nL._SL1000_.jpg (76 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
61W0XGb88nL._SL1000_.jpg
76 KB, 1000x1000
I want to get one of these. I am looking at the 80 dollar version. I basically just want to get it to use pdf files on it, because I can get those for free. Is it worth it? I like that it has that battery life, my 3g ipad doesn't last a week on one charge, it only lasts like a day.
>>
Kindles suck for pdfs
>>
It's great that you're considering an e reader.
maybe not Kindle...... Unless you like DRM.
keep on saving paper though
>>
>>7493445
>DRM
explain?
>>
>>7493445
calibre, homie
>>
Kindle paper white is good. Why do you need to use pdfs? >>7493415 is right for the most part but you shouldn't have to use pdfs (mobis or epubs are better options).
>>
>>7493396
From what I've seen all affordable e-readers are terrible for pdfs, but you can get free proper e-books too. You can even do it legally if you stick to stuff that's out of copyright, via Project Gutenburg and maybe other places.

Having said that, if I got one it wouldn't be a Kindle because they don't read the standard ebook format that libraries in Britbongland use (epubs). You can convert free epubs for Amazon, but apparently library ones are restricted.
>>
ereaders are absolutely fucking terrible for pdfs
do it for epubs but for the love of god not pdfs
there's no decent conversion software either
>>
>>7493909

nooks use epubs, right?
>>
Get a Kobo e-reader. I can vouch for the quality of their products and they allow you to view PDF, ePub, MOBI, and plain text without any issue. You can also use whatever third party software you want (like Calibre) to transfer books to the device, or just do it manually.

In the end, nothing beats a good old PDF or ePub. Amazon is just shilling their pointless DRM ridden .azw3 formats
>>
>>7493396
Get the Paperwhite, it costs only 99€ and light + higher resolution/ppi for only 20 bucks more is extremely good.

And you can download mobis for free or use a convertion program.
>>
>>7493938
forgot to post this pic related
>>
>>7493938
Who the fuck buys ebooks anyways? All ereaders are equal if you just pirate them. You can use all of those file formats on the Kindle, but mobi is the best.
>>
Not true which is why I posted the pic. When you factor out desktop operating systems and mobile phone operating systems, the Kobo reads the most formats for an actual e-Reader, while other major players such as Kindle and Nook have their shortcomings.
>>
>>7493973
You listed

>PDF
>epub
>mobi
>plain text
Paperwhite 3 can all of those except epub. and other formats aren't really relevant (or if they aren't, tell me why you think so). Plus it has a better screen.
>>
ePub is the open standard for eBooks and is arguably the most important format when considering an eBook reader (unless you just prefer PDFs for some reason), so I don't know why you would even bring up the Paperwhite.

Also I don't know if you're the same guy who was saying just pirate your books but having a reader that can read ePubs ieven more important if you're pirating because most pirated books are shared under Epub format.
>>
>>7494004
What? It doesn't matter whether you read a book in epub or mobi, they're equally "good" and the Paperwhite reads mobi.

And no, plenty of sites offer mobi. Hell, even if they don't, it takes LESS THAN A SECOND to convert into mobi from epub/pdf/whatever.
>>
>>7494016
I don't know why you're trying so hard to push Amazon's proprietary inferior shit.
>>
>>7494031
>run out of arguments
>g-good goy keep s-shilling haha
Because it has a significantly better screen, mostly. Kobo has zero relevant benefits and is strictly inferior where it counts.
>>
>>7494038
I don't know what you think counts dude, promoting an eReader that doesn't support ePupb, the open standard file format of eBooks, nearly universally compatible, is retarded.
>>
>>7494144
Dodging the fact that you can easily convert any file in mere seconds is also retarded, besides the fact that mobi is also widespread. You however can't convert the shitty screen of the Kobo, it's there to stay.
>>
>>7493396
Well I went with the Kobo GLO.
Don't know about the recent kindle, but when I bought it (2 years ago I think) the Kobo was much much better for pdf's, and better all around, including the number of formats it can read. It has a nice light too and the battery lasts for months AFAIK.

Now there is a new version with even higher resolution.
>>
>>7494157
Dude, the kindle is horrible for pdf's, horrible.
>>
File: Calibre_logo_2.png (394 KB, 554x499) Image search: [Google]
Calibre_logo_2.png
394 KB, 554x499
>>7494227
>>
>>7494234
I'm not OP, I use Calibre for books, not pdf's (unless they're books). I use it for school and a lot of the copies I have are in pdf's (directly from the scanner, so you can imagine that they can not be converted in a proper way).
Plus I like the fact that I can just put a SD card filled with the pdf's I want to use at any moment.
Can the kindle even take a SD card yet?
>>
Glad to see other people are in agreement about the Kobo, no clue what Mr. Amazon was on about, shills gonna shill.
>>
File: 1432342610621.jpg (63 KB, 539x530) Image search: [Google]
1432342610621.jpg
63 KB, 539x530
>can't jailbreak the newest version
>>
>>7493909
Calibre takes seconds converting epub (or anything) to mobi.

To OP: get the paperwhite or something in that range instead. I have PW but I would probably go for a Kobo, because it's more "open" and I've heard it works well for manga/comics of you're into that. But I've also heard people that the PW has a screen.

The PW isn't bad though, I'm just a bit /g/ and I was kind of disappointed how closed the system is. That aside, it's very good and the backlight is worth the extra cash in comparison to the regular kindle.

If you get one eventually, don't turn WiFi on. If you do you'll get ads up the ass unless you were a good goy and bought the ad free version that costs more instead.
>>
>>7494586
Holy fuck, fuck android voice to text service.

*I've also heard people say the PW has a better screen
>>
>>7494586
Why would one e reader work better for manga? They're not very good for it in general because >6 inches, tablets or just reading on your PC is better if you don't like to scroll/zoom.
>>
>>7494643
Apparently because the process of converting manga on a Kindle is very tedious while in the Kobo you just drag n drop. Yeah, it would be better on PC or a tablet but that e-ink screen, tho
>>
>>7494660
Kindle Comic Converter handles it pretty well.
>>
My mom gave me her old tablet (a Galaxy Tab 2) and it's pretty good for PDFs and other formats. I even read a few comics on this thing when I feel like it. I'd say just get a regular tablet instead of an "e-reader."
>>
>>7494548
>>7494586
>can't even choose a screensaver without jailbreaking the thing
>jailbreak in newer models is delayed indefinitely
Feels bad, mang, what the fuck were they thinking?

Also, regarding ads, do they only appear after logging into amazon store?
I used WiFi a couple times and used airplane mode ever since in the wait for the jailbreak.
>>
>>7495329
I guess. I only turned WiFi on to download a dictionary.

You can disable the "recommendations" on the bottom of the home page but the screensavers get replaced with ads and that really fucking sucks

>>7495227
Yeah sure, but e-readers are cheaper. If you are only interested in reading, e-readers are better just for the battery life (lasts around 2 weeks) and the e-ink screen.
>>
>>7495329
>Pay to get rid of ads
>Replaces it with stock pictures

why the fuck cant you put some custom pictures. At least the cover art of the current book your reading for FUCKS sake.
>>
WHO THE FUCK BUYS EBOOKS.
GET WHICHEVER EREADER YOU CAN
Download Calibre
Download ebooks
Convert
Done

Use a tablet to read PDFs.
>>
>>7494038
I hate to get involved in stupid technology fights, but unless I'm missing something the Kobo glo HD has the same resolution as the Kindle you're talking about (300 ppi).
>>
>>7496570
wow, is Kindle shit or what
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.