[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what books are going to be your "must read" for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: 1450793310468.png (773 KB, 856x960) Image search: [Google]
1450793310468.png
773 KB, 856x960
So what books are going to be your "must read" for 2016, /lit/?
>>
>>7493079
what's going on in this image
>>
Chasm
probably won't actually read it though
>>
Going to Read the Romans; my list:

Ancient Rome - Simon Baker
The Aeneid - Virgil
The Metamorphoses - Ovid
On the Nature of Things - Lucretius
Selected Works - Cicero
Commentaries on the Gallic War - Caesar
The Histories - Polybius
Parallel Lives - Plutarch
The Golden Ass - Apuleius
>>
>>7493079
The Greeks
>>
>>7493081

she's enjoying some really good ice cream.
>>
Here is my pending list for 2016:
- The kingdom of this world (Carpentier)
- The horses of God (Binebine)
- Don Quixote (Cervantes)
- Terra Nostra (Fuentes)
- Salambo (Flaubert)
- Great expectations (Dickens)

I have some other books from Delibes, Chirbes and Faulkner on my nightstand, but if I manage to read all of the above I will be more than satisfied.
>>
There are some pretty fucking stupid posters itt. I don't care about your backlog. It should be obvious that the OP meant 2016 releases.
>>
Leon Harold Craig, Plutarch, Barca and de Vega, Dos Passos, for the first half at least. I don't plan that far ahead.
>>
>>7493089
>Selected Works
This is what plebs read.
>>
Zettels Traum by Arno Schmidt is being translated into English. I don't know when it'll be published, but it could be next year. It'll make a good meme book, IMO.
>>
>>7493419
it will never be translated... it was coming "soon" for te last 5 years
>>
>>7493431
That sounds like enough time to translate the book, honestly.
>>
>>7493079
Catcher

Hunger Games Series

ASOIAF
>>
>>7493089
people must love you
>>
>>7493939
muh b8
>>
>>7493079

Macbeth
King Lear
The Tempest
The Taming of the Shrew
Much Ado About Nothing

White Noise - Don Delillo
Gravity's Rainbow - Pynchon
Narcissus and Goldmund - Hesse
Anne Karenina - Tolstoy
Paradise Lost - Milton
The Hero With a Thousand Faces - Campbell
>>
Only A Girl on the Shore - Inio Asano so far, because the author is good. Comes out in like a month
>>
I hardly ever plan out what I'm going to read next but I really want to read Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, since I read the first chapter and I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
Hmm.

Death of Vergil
The Recognitions
Phèdre
As A Man Grows Older
Herzog
Don Quixote
Dead Souls
Under the Volcano

I'll sprinkle in loads of spontaneous reads in as well, im sure. I never have much of a plan, just a vague idea.
>>
>>7493079

My backlog.
But of those, Life and Fate and Gogol's short stories are near the top.
>>
>>7493986

It's gets shit for being a meme and for being a high school druggie icon, but it's a nice ride. If you get a taste for Hunter S. Thompson, I'd recommend Hell's Angels. Wonderful prose:

>California, Labor Day weekend...early, with ocean fog still in the streets, outlaw motorcyclists wearing chains, shades and greasy Levis roll out from damp garages, all-night diners and cast-off one-night pads in Fricso, Hollywood, Berdoo and East Oakland, heading for the Monterey peninsula, north of Big Sur...The Menace is loose again, the Hell's Angels, the hundred-carat headline, running fast and loud on the early morning freeway, low in the saddle, nobody smiles, jamming crazy through traffic and ninety miles an hour down the center stripe, missing by inches...like Genghis Khan on an iron horse, a monster steed with a fiery anus, flat out through the eye of a beer can and up your daughter's leg with no quarter asked and non given; show the squares some class, give em a whiff of those kicks they'll never know...Ah, these righteous dudes, they love to screw it on...Little Jesus, the Gimp, Chocolate George, Buzzard, Zorro, Hambone, Clean Cut, Tiny, Terry the Tramp, Frenchy, Mouldy Marvin, Mother Miles, Dirty Ed, Chuck the Duck, Fat Freddy, Filthy Phil, Charger Charley the Child Molester, Crazy Cross, Puff, Magoo, Animal and at least a hundred more...tense for the action, long hair in the wind, beards and bandanas flapping, earrings, armpits, chain whips, swastikas and stripped-down Harleys flashing chrome as traffic on 101 moves over, nervous, to let the formation pass like a burst of dirty thunder...
>>
>>7494008

>Gogol's short stories

You're in for something great. Personal favourites are The Overcoat, The Portrait and The Squabble (more of a novella). He really shines in short stories. One of the very few authors who has managed to take me from amusement to profound sorrow in the span of a few lines.
>>
>>7493309

I MEAN,

people must love YOU
>>
File: 1428453013095.png (192 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1428453013095.png
192 KB, 500x375
>>7493226
>he thinks people on /lit/ read books written within the past 10 years
>>
>>7494021
“The longer and more carefully we look at a funny story, the sadder it becomes.”
>>
>>7493079
So, uh...

What's that image from? Google tells me nothing.
>>
>>7493226

Anyone with any time on this board realizes contemporary literature isn't discussed here to any noteworthy degree. Telling OP of our backlog in the classics will hopefully aid indirectly to scare away the recent influx of imguriloids, of which OP is likely a part of. You are the idiot for not realizing this.
>>
The Iliad and the Odyssey
>>
>>7493089
might I recommend adding
>Livy - Ab Urbe Condita
to your list?
>>
>books you look forward to

this isn't /tv/
>>
>>7493226
you must be new
>>
>>7493079

Schopenhauer's The World as Will and Representation
>>
>>7493089

Salve amicum. Qumodo est caelum? :DD
>>
File: hitler.png (419 KB, 400x602) Image search: [Google]
hitler.png
419 KB, 400x602
Siyasatnama - Nizam al-Mulk
Will To Power - Nietzsche
Discipline and Punish - Michel Foucault
Historia - Herodotos
Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio
Commentaries on the Gallic War - Caesar
The Aeneid - Virgil
The Illiad - Homeros

i also got 10-15 more books bought, waiting to be read but the ones i listed are what im really excited for
>mfw i'll be comparing The Prince to Siyasatnama

>>7493309
also, this.
>>
>>7493081
>>7494046
I'm not sure, but I think it's from Ran-Sem Hakudaku Delmo Tsuma no Miira Tori.

I could be wrong though
>>
File: Hwo not to be a pleb.png (29 KB, 494x556) Image search: [Google]
Hwo not to be a pleb.png
29 KB, 494x556
>>7493139
Do you know the name by any chance? Of the show I mean.
>>
>>7493079
In Search of Lost Time
>>
Othello
King Lear
Coriolanus
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest
The Merchant of Venice
Four Quartets
The Divine Comedy (Mandelbaum, unless someone thinks it's shit)
The Iliad (Lattimore, again unless someone has a serious vendetta against that translation)
Something by Virginia Woolf (probably Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse, possibly also The Waves)
Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained
Something from Beckett (really have no idea what - maybe his Trilogy)
Maybe Tristram Shandy for something a bit different
>>
>>7494047
I'd like to discuss contemporary works. May I suggest we start with discussing why they're such shit?
>>
>>7495456
That's why we don't discuss them.
>>
>>7495428
Yeah, that'll take about a year.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.