[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just seen robots talking about pic related. Whats /lit/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Hyperion_cover.jpg (56 KB, 230x400) Image search: [Google]
Hyperion_cover.jpg
56 KB, 230x400
Just seen robots talking about pic related.

Whats /lit/'s thoughts on this - anyone read it?
>>
>entry level sci fi

Science Fiction is what you read when you can't read.
>>
>>7492340
is that a meme?

people were saying it was 10/10
>>
Yes I believe a number of people have read it.
>>
>>7492347

It's the

>Look mom, I read Pynchon and now I'm shitposting on /lit/

meme.

Yes, Hyperion is second only to Book of the New Sun in GOAT scifi
>>
It was a good story. Nothing amazing. Worth a read, but it's not mind-blowing.
>>
>two truely great stories, the scholar and the priest
>five or so mediocre stories with an interesting thought here and there
>an overarching storyline that doesn't tie up anything (even though it promises to, it's like the book-version of lost)
>the author having a wank in honor of Keats
Just read the two good stories and drop the book, it's just a fuck-load of 'mysteries' with no reveal
>>
File: 1445963185861.jpg (159 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1445963185861.jpg
159 KB, 1500x1500
>>7492674
>two truely great stories, the scholar and the priest

>Not the soldier and the poet
>>
It has nice sentences for a science fiction book, but the narrative is a bit of a mess.

M. John Harrison's Kefahuchi Tract trilogy, Ursula K. Le Guin's Hainish Cycle and Gene Wolfe's Solar Cycle are the three most /lit/ sci-fi series IMO DESU SENPAI
>>
>>7492593
>It was a good story.
Which one?
>>
>>7492674
The only mediocre story is Detective DESU. The rest are god tier
>>
>>7492330
Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion are the best books I have ever read. You have to read both to get the full picture, and I'm a bit biased to liking the sci-fi elements but even so it's a great series. The characters are all likable, the priest is tragic, the soldier is badass, the poet is a grade-a cunt, etc. The second book was a very satisfying conclusion and left me with fuzzy feelings for a long while.
>>
>>7492674
>Just read the two good stories and drop the book, it's just a fuck-load of 'mysteries' with no reveal
Someone didn't read the second book
>>
>>7493043
>Fall of Hyperion
>The second book was a very satisfying conclusion and left me with fuzzy feelings for a long while.
Really? I always hear it's total and complete shit and that you should only read Hyperion. I usually do whatever, but it's always such a resounding "Don't read it" that I swore it off.

Guess I should just read it.
>>
>>7493137
It's more close to the author if that makes sense? Hyperion's direction was a bit weird and hard to guess and gave it that appeal of mystery. But the fall is clear and cut and you can easily see what the author was trying to draw parallels to by the end. I can't really say anymore without spoiling it
>>
Now r9k is in here now?
What's up with lit being polluted by these dirty crossboarders/crosswebsiters lately?
>>
File: tumblr_nqm0818nL71snsxomo1_400.jpg (20 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqm0818nL71snsxomo1_400.jpg
20 KB, 400x388
>mfw when I see people talking shit about the Hyperion Cantos.

Without a doubt my favorite space opera; possibly my favorite fiction book. Apparently Bradley Cooper wants to direct a film trilogy - pls no.
>>
>>7492330
>>>/r9k/

then kill yourself
>>
One of the best sci-fi books.
>>
>>7493048
someone didn't read the first book, either.

kind of sad how much shitposting goes on in here. desperate attempts to get a response. NOTICE ME SENPAI I SHIT ON WHAT YOU LIKE
>>
>>7493137
>Guess I should just read it.

this is always the answer. why would you accept someone else's judgement on a book, unless you trust them implicitly? why would anyone accept anonymous trolling on this? just read it! worst thing that could happen is you spend a couple of days on it. you had something better to do?

although i do regret the three hours i wasted reading the Dune prequels. pieces of crap should have a warning sticker on the front.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.