[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Proust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1450749708541.jpg (13 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1450749708541.jpg
13 KB, 460x276
How many of you have read the complete ISOLT in order? What are your opinions on it?

Also, on a semi-related note, how does one get a mustache as stylish and graceful as Proust's? I strive to have one just like him.
>>
>>7491201
I've read it all in order (I think everyone who reads all of it reads it in order). I don't know if there's anyone I've felt as deeply connected to as Proust. It wasn't until reading this that I realized I could be attracted to a man. I'd have loved to have been Proust's lover.
>>
>>7491230
Gross.
>>7491201
It's great but you get to a point when you realize all of Proust talents amount to him trying to shove his neuroses onto you.

It's basically Lacan.
>>
>>7491230
Gross
>>
>>7492334
>>7492358
guys pls! this guy is opening up his heart to us. (1st rule:)Don't condemn, or his shitposts might ascend
why make mayhem over his feeling of commend?
because you dont comprehend
That in Proust we can depend, anon here chose to defend, making him my friend
>>
>>7491230
>I don't know if there's anyone I've felt as deeply connected to as Proust.

This is the mark of a really great author. You get it from DFW, you get it from Dosto- if you get it from Proust I may have to give him a ry.
>>
>>7492453
>You get it from DFW
Dude...Proust is ten times as accomplished as this guy...
>>
>>7491201
I did. It's fantastic. Because of its length, time and space get a whole new meaning, and the ways in which he is able to capture life is incredible.
You should read it, you really should. It will be unlike anything else you've experienced.
>>
>>7492453
>>7492509
Proust arguably accomplished one of the 20 greatest works of art IN ALL FIELDS in the history of humanity with ISOLT. Do not mention DFW along with him.
>>
I read it beginning to end, and just finished it last summer
I vowed to read one volume every six months, which would have had me through it in 3.5 years, but I avoided it and it took me 6

>>7491230
Seconded. I feel like in ISOLT Proust insinuates that every other character is gay, but he's not. Besides that though, he's underrated as a queer figure. When you read his journals or whatever though, it's clear he was the biggest poof of the age. I wish I could marry him.

The glory of Proust is the prose, though. I imitate his long-winded sentence composition as often as I can in my own writing. You could read only volume 1 and get a 70% complete impression of why he's important. To bridge the gap to 100% though, you can't skip a chapter.

On the other hand if you just read about why Proust's work is so long, you won't get the effect that he intended, but you can pretend you did, and honestly in a world where almost nobody reads even a paragraph of Proust anyway, you'd still be among the elite.
>>
>>7493150
I should clarify
Proust's work is supposed to invoke the feeling of remembering, i.e. when you read the last book and something is evoked from the first book, say, that's meant to parallel the sensation of grasping the memory of something distant in your own personal past. If you don't read the whole thing, this won't really work. In Proust, the long-form craftsmanship is very important.
>>
>>7491230
> I'd have loved to have been Proust's lover.
AUDIENCE POOPHOLE
>>
>>7493186
>"your favourite qualities in a man?"
>Feminine charms.
he was such a fucking faggot it's fantastic
plus he was the shyest motherfucker around
as an introverted fem gay myself i want this
>>
I've only read the first two, and I'll certainly read the rest because it's great.

>>7493150
I think among the novel's accomplishments, his prose is too much focused on (this is true of most books on /lit/, I think). For me the glory of Proust is the characters, which are some of the richest I've ever encountered in fiction. And there are so many of them who I get to learn more about over the course of the rest of the novel, so I can't wait to read the rest.
>>
I read the first half of In search of lost time. It's probably fourth-greatest masterpiece of 20th-century prose.
>>
File: ruiz-time-regained.jpg (88 KB, 620x440) Image search: [Google]
ruiz-time-regained.jpg
88 KB, 620x440
>>7493254
>some of the richest
if that was intentional, i love you
>>
>>7493254
>characters
Then there's a lot in store for you.
>>
>>7493269

It actually wasn't. You can proceed to not love me.
>>
>>7493302
pardon me, then you're a shitcunt retard who should go back to >>>/tv/
if that wasn't a pun, it was a stupid observation
>>
>>7493197
>shyest motherfucker around
>was a socialite until he was laid up by his crippling respiratory disease
>>
>>7491201
Take care of your upper lip, then wax and comb it when it grows.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.