[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was anyone here a total ADD non-reading faggot in the past but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1381718957114.jpg (6 KB, 250x207) Image search: [Google]
1381718957114.jpg
6 KB, 250x207
Was anyone here a total ADD non-reading faggot in the past but developed a passion for reading later on?

If so, how did you do it? I ask because I'm the latter and really want to read but can't seem to get more than a quarter or fewer into a book before putting it down forever and moving on to something else.
>>
>>7490973

Pick something you're actually interested in reading and just read it. It really isn't more complex than that.

Do you have a book you're in the middle of right now? Read it.
>>
>>7490973
Former = First
Latter = Last

You are the former. :^)
>>
>>7490973
You just haven't found the right book/genre.

What have you tried to read?
>>
>>7491019
Listen here you little shit. I didn't come here to get creamed by pathetic grammar nazi douchebags. Give me a real response to what I was asking or don't respond at all.
>>
If this is a problem then you really don't want to read. It's not something you should have to force OP.
>>
>>7491028
Good shitpost. Well memed.
>>
>>7491024
>What have you tried to read?
None of your business. Why don't you just answer the question at hand?
>>
>>7490973
As the other anon here has mentioned just read stuff that you find interesting. Initially it might be a problem so you might have to look around to find an author whose writing style and topics suit just you but it will get easier. Otherwise if you find yourself being a total ADD riddled shitter then try to start with Audiobooks while you take the tube to work or something along those lines.
>>
>>7491039
Why not just tell us your preferences? We might be able to suggest something that you might like.
>>
>>7491042
>I have a problem
>hurr durr just read
Wanna give me a real response, or are you just going to sit there and shitpost?
I'm guessing the former, latter, whatever.
>>
>>7491046
>Why not just tell us your preferences?
Because it's none of your fucking business?
>>
>>7491049
But I suggested an alternative? Try allocating some time of your day for just reading.
>>
>>7491024
sorry some faggot >>7491039 is pretending to be me

I've attempted to read a few history books, some novels, and a couple philosophy books.

The subjects interest me but I never get too far into the books. I think it has to do with my attention span.

>>7491042
I've tried audio books but even then I tend to lose my focus. If I just sit there listening to audio I get fidgety and need to go do something.
>>
>>7491039
The answer to the question is read a different genre/book/author than you have already tried. If you would tell me what you have tried to read maybe I can help you with suggestions on something else to read.
>>
>>7491068
Shit man I would stay away from history or philosophy if I had ADD. If I were you I would read a light, easy to read novel.
I recommend starship troopers to a lot of "non readers" because it is fairly short and easy to read.
>>
>>7491092
Wow, you are an asshole.
>>
>>7491104
Because I like starship troopers? Because it's easy to read? Or because I recommend it to people?
>>
>>7491027
Okay. desu, senpai, here's how I did it:
1. Get bored with LITERALLY everything else you enjoy.
2. Get away from your computer and smartphone.
3. Open a book.
4. Read the book.
(or get a kindle, or an ereader app on your smartphone and TURN OFF the wifi)
faggot >:^(
>>
>>7490973
go to library or outside place where computer do not harm you
>>
>>7491194
This. And leave cellphones at home unless absolutely necessary.
>>
Read 10 pages per day. Force yourself to read just that number of pages. No more, no less.
>>
don't start with the classics. Pick up some easy and highly immersive escapist stuff such as fantasy, then move on to classic lit or whatever you want to read afterwards.
>>7491027
>>7491039
perhaps being a little more humble and kind to others would get you farther when asking for help.
>>
>>7490973
There's three types of books you will read in your life.

(1) Instructional manuals and reference titles. To develop a practical skill, or expand an academic pursuit. You will come back to these over many years, and you never really finish reading them. More modern philosophy falls here, as it is technical and the average reader will be unable to follow without some prior training, so do textbooks, academic and scientific papers, dictionaries, religious texts, etc.
(2) Fodder.These books you finish in less than 50 hours total reading, often far less time. They are generally predictable fiction with enjoyable world building and social commentary; examples such as Phillip K. Dick, Gene Wolfe, Leo Tolstoy, Franz Kafka. But it can also include short stories, non-fiction, classics, poetry it's completely subjective and many will overlap with the next section depending on how well read you are.
(3) Literature. Start with the Greeks is a meme because it is true. The oldest and most difficult to process works of the literary art tend to be the most useful to you. Like (1) these are collections you never really finish, and find yourself going back to over a lifetime. While different for everyone, it must include some works by Homer, Aristotle, Epictetus, Aquinas, Locke. Reading here will enhance your appreciation of ideas which go on to influence everything around you and set the foundations of the world line where books you enjoy in (2) could have been written.
*(4) Contemporary literature. You get here if you are bored with (2) feel unchallenged by (1) and have read broadly of (3). This is the fringe of culture and society, a lot of shit to sift through, but there could be gold.
The vast majority of people are comfortable sitting in a box of their own creation namely (2). They are safe, inside their bubble, and read purely for the joy of exercising the mind in creative thought. There is nothing wrong with this, I just gave what I feel is an exhaustive list of 'Reading'.

If find that you can't force yourself to read, then you probably will struggle with a lot of other things in life. Not raging in traffic, not being physically abusive to children, not drinking to excess, not understanding your finances or how to develop and manage wealth. There's a reason rich and powerful people read as a hobby and the poor and lower income classes struggle with it as a concept. A good education shows you demonstrably that reading can give you an advantage in life over other people.
>>
>>7490973
I was diagnosed with ADD in my recent adult life, but I've been a voracious reader for years. Learn to utilise your hyperfocus while reading and you'll find it can work to your benefit
>>
>>7492035
Christ almighty ... you need to read the greeks to get guys like Gene Wolfe ... can't believe you are classing Tolstoy, Wolfe, and Kafka as Fodder. Wolfe, Joyce, et al are way more difficult to process than the simple Greek logic and systematic approach that undercuts the majority of what has been written since. How is Homer and Aristotle "difficult"? Erudite people don't even understand what they have read in Wolfe. Greek classification system, the logic of Aquinas in delineating spiritual evil and good, the bullshit of Locke (oh, my senses are equal so we are equal herp derp blarghghghgghghghghghghghgh let me take away your sight and hearing then and see how equal we are). FODDER? IF the greeks are hard for you, your mind is fodder. Gotta hear about the fish jumping out of the kettle and the arimaspians stealing the gold of the sun in herodotus cuz that's real relevant to life ....

Otherwise nice post.
>>
I have ADD and I haven't been able to finish a single thing purchases this year. books or otherwise. I have a hard time just hyperfocusing on one or two hobbies.
>>
>>7490973
Listen here you pathetic little shit.
>how to finish a book
>start reading a book
>keep reading a book
>do not let yourself start reading another book
>finish book
>read enough books to not get thrown into grammar auschwitz by grammar nazis when writing
>grow a brain
>>
>>7491135
> 1.
This is the most important step.
>>
File: itsacat.png (328 KB, 454x395) Image search: [Google]
itsacat.png
328 KB, 454x395
>>7493062
>not sure if meme or stupid
>>
>>7491092
Not that guy but I find history and philosophy much easier to read than novels.
>>
>>7490975
>read what you're interested in

sick of this meme.

You clearly do not understand ADHD
>>
>>7490973
y ou dont want to read LOL
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.