[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books about rejecting Industry, capitalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 1424850014919.png (317 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1424850014919.png
317 KB, 800x800
Are there any good books about rejecting Industry, capitalism modernity, hedonism, or the sexual revolution?
I'm just really fed up with the world and want to live in a hut somewhere away from everything.
>>
>>7490065
Try the Unabomber's manifesto.
>>
The novels of Herman Hesse.
>>
walt whitman, also kill yourself faggot, you're the worst kind of trash.

>>7490228
>I didn't understand hesse
>>
>>7490065
The Bhagavad Gita is all about the spiritual and how hedonism doesn't lead to anything except fears that end only in death.

>I'm just really fed up with the world and want to live in a hut somewhere away from everything.
if you really want to do this though I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of programs where you can live on an isolated japanese farm for a short period which I recall an anon posting about 1 or 2 years ago.
>>
>>7490065
You read more books until you realize that our world is pretty much fine. Many seem to think ignorance is bliss and learnedness leads to pessimism and dissatisfaction. However, the journey to enlightenment is not a straight line, but a circle. You have to keep going.
>>
>>7490287
>However, the journey to enlightenment is not a straight line, but a circle. You have to keep going.
enlightenment from reading books? wat.
>>
>>7490294
I'm not speaking in Buddhist terms or anything.
>>
>>7490311
ah, okay.
>>
File: meteora.jpg (1003 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
meteora.jpg
1003 KB, 1920x1080
>>7490065
The Holy Bible.
>>
>>7490065
my diary, desu
>>
>>7490188
read it. Loved it
>>
>>7490248
>walt whitman
wasn't he all about sexual freedom though?
>>
>>7490324
read it. Loved it
>>
>>7490324
"Do not resist evil
No thanks. The Bible is just cuckoldry.
>>
>>7490065
Das Kapital
>>
>>7490736
"Capitalism's shit. Let's make it worse."
>>
>>7490065
Ride the Tiger
>>
>>7490760
My problem with Evola is that he doesn't respect hard work and toil.
It's like he thinks the best thing for humans it to sit around and do jack shit all day.
>>
>>7490766
>respect hard work and toil.
stop this wagecuck mentality. there's no virtue or redemption in giving your body and precious little time to the production line. go read The Abolition Of Work and then go back to Evola
>>
File: 1430640466899.gif (872 KB, 326x300) Image search: [Google]
1430640466899.gif
872 KB, 326x300
>>7490791
>the production line
Of course there's nothing noble in that.

Go read the sacredness of work then go back and read Kaczynski
>>
>>7490826
if you're in industry you're in the production line
if you're a manual labourer you're in the production line
if you're in services you're in the production line
if you're in research you're in the production line

the only thing that is not production line is subsistence farming and hunting t b h
>>
>>7490865
>the only thing that is not production line is subsistence farming and hunting t b h
Exactly. I'd also argue that non-industrial craftsmanship works too.
>>
>>7490875
we agree then
work (the act of exerting labour in exchange of a salary) has no virtue or honourable qualities
>>
>>7490894
I'd say it's less than virtuous but at least it's a form of self-reliance.
As opposed to being a NEET and relying on the work of others it is honorable.
>>
>>7490704
>Do not resist evil
Where do you get that as a summary of the Bible?
>>
>>7490980
The sermon on the mount
>>
>>7491011
>Sermon on the Mount
It does mention being blessed under persecution and turning the other cheek; it also mentions not casting your pearls before swine though. The tension between the two is calling for discernment about what to do in a given circumstance. (Coincidentally I was thinking earlier today about being cautious about wherer to cast one's pearls in connection with this very board.) Also the overall point of the whole is that with man it is ultimately impossible to fulfill all of it perfectly (note the sections repeating the 'you have heard that it was said in the Law...'/'but I tell you...' formula that get at the intention vs. letter of the Law). But it does all have an eye toward long-term reward as opposed to short-, certainly.
>>
>>7491061
The only real interpretation I can actually see is that self-defense is not justifiable, you shouldn't stop a robbery, and a bunch of anti-self commandments. It's just so masochistic.
>>
>>7491175
Mt. 5:11 is key:
>11 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
The endurance of evil is specifically in connection with following Jesus. In the greater context of Matthew's Gospel, this ties in with for example taking up one's cross and following Jesus (16:24), something the disciples themselves proved incapable of doing.
>>
>>7490065
Atomised aka, The Elementary Particles.

Then Thoreau, Walden
>>
>>7491225
I've been looking into atomized.

>Then Thoreau, Walden
I started it but I couldn't finish because he was essentially glorifying the NEET lifestyle and making fun of people who even just work for themselves.
>>
File: 1432334643868.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1432334643868.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
>>7491213
That's one thing aspect of it but there's also more to it than that.
He's saying the non-resistance of all evil is a commandment.
If the evangelical Christians in America actually listened to the shit Jesus said he'd be called a hippy, and rightfully so. It's why I've always felt that the right wing Christians in America were and are essentially pagan people who latched on to the only religion around.
>>
>>7491269
The degree to which non-resistance is to be followed has been a hotly-debated topic within the church as a whole for a long time. Also yes I agree that there is a distance between the current American Evangelical phenomenon (esp. its political aspect) and the teachings of Jesus. For one, some forget about things like separation of church and state and want to wield a particular understanding of the faith in a manner of state authority. One weakness of this approach is that the authority of the church is not earthly--'My kingdom is not of this world'--and it bankrupts the idea of non-resistance when you're the one in power. (As a recent example note the court clerk in Kentucky who put her religious views about gays above the Supreme Court.)
>>
>>7491368
>The degree to which non-resistance is to be followed has been a hotly-debated topic within the church as a whole for a long time
It seems like the history of Christianity is Jesus saying one thing and the church dancing around the issue.

>For one, some forget about things like separation of church and state and want to wield a particular understanding of the faith in a manner of state authority
Jesus, save me from your reddit-tier understanding of American law
There is no "Separation of Church and State" in the constitution in the way you describe. The first amendment does not mean that when someone steps into the poll booth they have to be atheists. People can use religious reasoning and judgements when voting for candidates. Likewise elected officials can use religious reasoning to support certain laws. It does mean they can't stop people from practicing their own religion or declare that the America government a certain kind of religion.

>'My kingdom is not of this world'
Yes but that doesn't mean a state can't go about abiding by religious principals. I doubt that Jesus would reject something like that.

>As a recent example note the court clerk in Kentucky who put her religious views about gays above the Supreme Court
Based on her religious views she chose to non-violently resist a law that she felt was unethical. There's absolutely nothing in the bible or common morality that is wrong with that.
>>
>>7491368
>some forget about things like separation of church and state and want to wield a particular understanding of the faith in a manner of state authority.
some forget about things like separation of church and state and want to wield a particular understanding of the state in a manner of religious authority
>>
>>7491448
did you have a stroke?
>>
Then go live in a hut somewhere away from everything.

We probably won't miss you.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.