[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Read original or translation in own language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Would you suggest I read Dan Browns work in English or in my own mothers tongue. Reason why I'm in dubio about this is because I feel if I read it in Dutch I will miss out on jokes et cetera that go lost in translation while if I read the English one I might not understand it as well as I would in Dutch.

Any insights? Many thanks for your replies.
>>
>>7489847
Thanks for the warning. I'm well aware of it not quite being literature but when I saw the movie I felt like it wouldn't be bad to read. I'll probably read it in Dutch as, like you said, it doesn't matter too much.
>>
>>7489847
>dan brown isnt particularly quality literature.

>>7489836
The above quote is why it does not matter if you read it in Dutch or English.
I doubt there are many parts of the book which rely heavily on unique English language context.
That being said, the translation may be shit, and non-critical points may be misinterpreted during translation
>>
>>7489872
Gaaah, now I don't know anymore! Haha. I guess I'll just read some pages in English and determine if it is of a level I truly understand or not.
>>
>>7489836

Read it in English. It'll sharpen your language proficiency.

Did you just find out about /lit/?
>>
>>7489902
Bro. Think of any book you've read.
Can you remember every joke?
Really, if you can understand English well enough, read it in English.
If not, it doesn't matter too much.
Most of /lit/ doesn't learn another language just to read the Greeks or Russians or French, or whatever.
>>
>>7489905
I indeed just found out about /lit/. I knew of its existence but never went here before. You've convinced me to go for the English version, by the way. I'm just going to force myself to look up every word I don't understand.
>>
Please go back to reddit
>>
>>7489919

Good idea. And another good idea for you would be to close down this thread now. People are going to be really mean. It's the lay of the land around here.
>>
>>7489946
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to bed now anyways, so I'll leave the thread to die here.
>>
OP sucks goat dicks but how sloppily for it was his mother who taught him
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.