[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time poster here /lit/ I did not have the best upbringing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: 1450655691933.jpg (77 KB, 460x628) Image search: [Google]
1450655691933.jpg
77 KB, 460x628
First time poster here /lit/

I did not have the best upbringing where my parents were very uneducated and discouraged my interest in reading. I am now 25 years old and I never read books (besides mandatory for schooling ect)

Where should I start? Whats the best reading for someone who has no clue what is out there when it comes to literature?

My last book was freaking Harry mother fucking Potter back in middle school
>>
>>7489359
What kind of movies or music do you like? What are some of your hobbies?
>>
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY RETARD
>>
>>7489369
Not big into movies or music. But I have a couple movies I always enjoyed which I seem to watch again every year or so.
-All of back to the future
- Loved all of Lord Of The rings
-Old Janes Bond movies
-I watch a lot of documentaries, currently been watching mega structures like a madman

Same with music, just a couple bands I felt like downloading.
-Wolfmother
-Chet Faker
-A lot of 90's and 80's junk, Phil Colins, Tom Petty, The Black Keys (mainly old stuff) The White Stripes
-I also enjoy typical pop crap on the radio to work and remixes but never enough to download it

I am open to everything to be honest. I just don't know where to start.

It is a well known fact that avid readers are quite a bit ahead of intellectually of those that aren't.

Hobbies are quite bland.

Love my dogs and go nuts taking them everywhere and enjoy that they have fun.

I work as a construction manager and I like anything to do with construction and learning how things are built.

Have been into reading about criminals and thefts on-line. So I guess theres that.
>>
>>7489391
>the sticky outlines book suggestions for people who are pretty much new to reading
Top Kek fag.
>>
>>7489391
>READ THE FUCKING STICKY
What book is that?
>>
>>7489402
Read starship troopers.
>>
>>7489402
Damn, you have pretty bad taste in everything, friend.
>>
>>7489402
Call of the Wild / White Fang.
Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn

These are essential reading and very simple so you will get them out of the way. You need a literary base, so it will be a lot of children's classics up front, before you graduate to science fiction, then you can start on classic literature.
>>
>>7489403
New people can't read so why ask them to read the sticky?
>>
>>7489424
Back to the Future is amazing desu senpai
>>
>>7489421
I like that movie. I would read if it in book form.

>>7489424
My tastes feel bland my friend. That is why I am here.

>>7489425
Thank you. I have heard of these but never had the chance to read them. I will add them to my list to buy.
>>
>>7489424
What are your hobbies anon?
> I like to read doystolstoyevski and ponder the meaning of life
>I enjoy a fine Pinot noir, nothing younger than 1983 though
>I also like to pack a fine hickory pipe
>last but not least, I am a huge connoisseur of fedoras
>>
>>7489402

I'd heartily recommend Travels With Charley by John Steinbeck. It's about a road-trip that the author takes with his dog around America.

It's accessible and comfy, and it scratches the surface of a few pretty great ideas.

Check it out - anything by Steinbeck is good for someone just getting into literature, to be honest.
>>
>>7489431
Starship troopers is a book. And I think it is a good and easy read.
>>
>>7489435
agreed, steinbeck is perfect here i think
>>
>>7489426
I was talking shit to the guy telling him to read the sticky.
>>
>>7489435
>>7489439
Added to my list. Thank you

i might mention my favourite book is The Golden Campass
>>
>>7489402
>It is a well known fact that avid readers are quite a bit ahead of intellectually of those that aren't.
I'd call that a misconception. Most of the people on this board aren't very smart.
Sounds to me like you might benefit more from joining a beer league sports team.

If you're really interested in reading though, start with some American Classics like Huck Finn and The Great Gatsby, or early Greek Philosophy.
>>
>>7489456
>Sounds to me like you might benefit more from joining a beer league sports team.
Not my thing.

I have been suggested to read Nightwood by Djuna Barnes.

I will add your suggestions to my list.
I have 4 weeks off work during Christmas which I'll be using to start reading.
>>
>>7489402
Here's some recommendations friend:

Saga of the Volsungs
Beowulf
The Prose Edda
The Poetic Edda
The Histories of Herodotus
Western Architecture: From Ancient Greece to the Present - Sutton
A History of Building Types - Pevsner
The Complete Pyramids: Solving the Ancient Mysteries - Lehner

Ignore the insults from people in this thread; they are plebs
>>
>>7489464

>they are plebs

Cynics, really. I mean god damn, I can't tell troll-posts from regular Joes earnestly looking for recommendations any more.

Memes have destroyed my mind.
>>
Start with the Greeks, check the sticky on how.
>>7489403
It does, a Medieval education is timeless.
>>7489434
Epic meme
Pseud
>>
>>7489464
Added all to my list.

Western Architecture: From Ancient Greece to the Present - Sutton

That looks amazing. I like your suggestions. This is at the top of my list.

I also think I will enjoy most of your suggestions after doing quick Google searches on them.
>>
>>7489478
Most of the non-architecture books were due to you liking LOTR. The Saga of the Volsungs was one of the inspirations to Tolkien; I think he did a retelling of the story IIRC.
>>
The Stranger
The Myth of Sisyphus
Notes from The Underground
Nausea
Crime and Punishment
A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man
On The Road

There are some of the books that got me into literature back in highschool. The order presented is not a bad read-order. Good luck!
>>
I was in your position and I self-educated from scratch OP

You can do it

Start with stuff that interests you, fundamentally, and stuff that will give you practice. Even something like The Hobbit is great when you're just beginning to read. Don't worry about becoming patrician overnight. That will take you a few years of steady going. Don't worry about getting all the references or understanding all the importance of a work just yet. Right now is the best part because your only obligation is to keep reading.

Also, use surveys (books for college students to learn about literary/intellectual traditions), use Wikipedia, use free college courses (google "Yale OCW", and "The Teaching Company").
>>
Children's lit/classics
Highschool teir books
The Greeks
The bible
Then the western canon
>>
>>7489504
>Don't worry about becoming patrician overnight.
Don't worry about "becoming" "patrician" period.
>>
Start with the fucking Greeks you eejit.
>>
Thanks everyone for suggestions and comments, even the shit posting which is good for the website.

Will start with the suggestions posted.
>>
>>7489540
Enjoy yourself my man.

Read some of the Lankhmar books by Lieber.
>>
>>7489515
Pseud detected
>>
>>7489565
Worrying about how Patrician you are is pleb, pleb.
>>
>>7489359
If you want a good basis for postmodernism then I suggest Les Enfants Terrible by Jean Cocteau. It is shorter and an easy read. It will be a good basis to learn about the style of the meme trilogy, which is frequently mentioned here.
>>
File: mucore general new.jpg (110 KB, 396x640) Image search: [Google]
mucore general new.jpg
110 KB, 396x640
>>7489402
Man not to be that guy but your taste in music is also lacking...

This is all probably very overwhelming for you because you just got a ton of recommendations but I'd recommend going through /mu/ core and finding out a bit more about your taste.
>>
File: mulel.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3102) Image search: [Google]
mulel.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3102
>>7489589
apologies for shit resolution
>>
>>7489567
Good thing I don't worry, I know I'm patrician, pleb.
>>
>>7489589
>>7489608
Those charts are shit
CLT and Ame's charts are better.
>>
>>7489589
/mu/ is a shithole.

OP just listen to this, and appreciate the sublimity: https://youtu.be/4wwMcy4_Iwg
>>
>>7489608
lol @ recommending /mu/core. /mu/ has shit taste.
>>
File: 1448643031146.jpg (418 KB, 747x1417) Image search: [Google]
1448643031146.jpg
418 KB, 747x1417
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.