[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of the works of this beautiful man? What are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: original_big.jpg (128 KB, 610x390) Image search: [Google]
original_big.jpg
128 KB, 610x390
What do you think of the works of this beautiful man? What are your favorites?
>>
Game of Thrones
>>
>>7489264
TKB
>>
File: House-of-the-Dead-2-3.jpg (80 KB, 682x400) Image search: [Google]
House-of-the-Dead-2-3.jpg
80 KB, 682x400
Haven't read all of them yet (missing "The Idiot" and a few short stories), but my favouriute would be "The House of the Dead". Some of his most powerful pages are in there.
>>
Demons is patrician-tier
>>
>>7489354

What did you like about it?
>>
>>7489378
how it calls out nihilists for what they are, including me, I became a lot more self aware after reading it
>>
>>7489276

How was Avsey?
>>
>>7489410
I read both him and p&v. I preferred Avery, although it could be because I read his second.
I don't know Russian, but my friend is Russian and I asked him about a few parts that the translations were "significantly" different. He preferred Avsey.
>>
>>7489389

Good answer. I'm 120 pages away from finishing it but am having trouble really getting excited about it even though I've loved his other major works. It just seems that there's very little actual discussion about nihilism, as opposed to his other books where people are psychologizing all the time. But I've also heard that it's around where I am in the book that it starts to get really good, so there's that
>>
Hard to say which is my favorite. Crime and Punishment and Notes from the Underground are both some of the greatest literature of all time though, and some of the greatest philosophy to boot.
>>
Life of Pi
>>
>>7489473
His best, although Hulk and Taking Woodstock are pretty underrated
>>
>>7489264

What I came up with ranking-wise:

FAVORITES
* The Brothers Karamazov
* Crime and Punishment
* 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'
* Demons

LIKE VERY MUCH
* 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding'
* The Gambler
* The Double
* Notes from the House of the Dead
* 'A Gentle Spirit'
* 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree'
* The Idiot

* Notes from Underground
* Netochka Nezvanovna
* The Insulted and the Injured
* The Village of Stepanchikovo
* 'The Uncle's Dream'
* 'White Nights'
* 'A Faint Heart'
* 'The Crocodile'
* 'Bobok'
* 'A Nasty Anecdote'
* 'The Eternal Husband'
* 'The Landlady'
* 'The Little Hero'

DIDN'T LEAVE MUCH OF AN IMPRESSION
* 'Mr. Prokharchin'
* 'Polzunkov'
* 'The Honest Thief'

DON'T LIKE
* Poor Folk
* Novel in Nine Letters
* The Adolescent
* 'The Jealous Husband'
>>
>>7489430
>I don't know Russian, but my friend is Russian and I asked him about a few parts that the translations were "significantly" different. He preferred Avsey
This is especially interesting since the main support for P&V is how faithful their translation work is supposed to be (which isn't true anyway, for example their mistreatment of Russian idioms).
>>
I got a collection of all of his works for christmas last year, but I have only read The Gambler, The Idiot and Crime and Punishment so far
definitely one of my favourite writers nonetheless
>>
>>7490592
The church is now an institution of power and greed instead of Christianity and Christian values iirc
>>
Obligatory Tolstoy superiority post.

I'm smiling almost imperceptibly at this thread.
>>
>>7490592
I read it a while ago so I'm a bit rusty but I believe the point of the text was to argue how much freedom 'the masses' should have over their faith and whether people should have their faith forced on them if it means they're happier and more faithful.

The inquisitor argues that when jesus came to earth he had the power to perform insanely more miracles or make the earth a paradise, and that this would have been good as it would have made everyone a christian and obey him without question, but due to jesus' restraint at performing miracles he left doubt as to whether he was actually the son of god and this made people more unfaithful. The inquisitor argues his position of enforcing religion onto the people is good as he makes people follow christ where they normally wouldn't as people are inherently doubtful and selfish, and that when he forces them to be religious he makes them happier.
When Jesus kisses the inquisitor at the end of the text, the inquisitor realises Christ's love, and realises that when he forces people to be religious he's robbing them of their love of Christ because they worship him because they are blindly taught to do so, not because they actually love him.

The text also shows Ivan's confused thought process, because prior to this the reader is meant to assume Ivan is an atheist, but actually he has a more complicated relationship with god, where he doesn't outrightly reject him but is very doubtful.
>>
>>7490724
it's worth it for Ivan's devil.
>>
>>7489354
This.

>Demons
>Crime and Punishment
>TBK
>Notes
>Idiot
>Gambler

These are my favorites and they are in order.
>>
>>7489446
You're in the beginning. When the youngs arrive shit starts gettin'

Kirillov is my favorite Dosto's character
>>
>>7490724
I didn't get all that on the first time, I had to read it a couple times and read a bit of commentary online about it to understand it all. Even now though I don't think I interpreted everything correctly, for example just after writing my response I looked up the wikipedia page on that chapter and it reckoned that the ending with the kiss was intended to have a very ambiguous meaning.

Also 'The grand inquisitor' is by far the hardest chapter in TBK to interpret, the rest is a bit easier reading and the pace picks up a little after that, so it would be a shame to stop where you are at.
>>
>>7489706
The Double is criminally underappreciated
>>
>>7490592
>Grand Inquisitor
Note what follows this section and how they relate. It's significant to the intention of the book (inb4 death of the author) yet something many people don't pick up on.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.