[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing Tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: cheekybastard.jpg (83 KB, 696x960) Image search: [Google]
cheekybastard.jpg
83 KB, 696x960
I want to final get around and prove to myself that I'm not a total literary failure. What are some tips for beginner writers?

I've written short stories before, but I want to attempt something grander this time. I also don't want to drop it halfway between (which I've done, 2bh) in between
>>
>>7487218
Make sure to fully understand the words you use, to carefully pick them when you need to establish a certain aspect of say someone's personality. Choose words with the connotations that you want that suit the meaning of your text.
Not everyone has a wide vocabulary but as you discuss more things with more people it grows, so what matters to me is to have a solid vocabulary.

>kek idk jus ramblin' desu famli
>>
Don't try to impress people with your prose or with a formal tone

Don't write steam of consciousness

Don't make the obvious choices.

Have fun.
>>
>>7487218
think twice before going through with a plot choice. why is it happening, how will it relate to the rest of what you want to write. the same with characters and places. how will it tie into itself further on etc. nothing worse than newbie writers who just put whatever crosses their mind in their book and then it just comes out a jumbled mess. think twice about what you're writing, basically.
>>
>>7487268
why shouldn't I write using stream of consciousness? not OP.
>>
>>7487218
First of all: have a (good) story to tell.
Second: know all the way out how to best tell this story.
Third: Did it evoke emotions, thoughts? No? Rewrite.
Foruth: Don't fear drastically changing things in the structure. Have patience.
Fifth: Read the text out loud.
Sixth: Read books about storytelling, characters and fiction in general.
Seventh: Make a draft a day (write everyday).
>>
Write for yourself.
>>
>>7487272
The same thing’s happened in literature. All those drug-horror paperbacks from the 50s – like Narco Nympho by “John Dexter” – have been replaced by a much fancier crop of titles. See, some people are still provincial enough to think avant garde means “resembling a book written by Joyce in the 1910s,” instead of “at the forefront of art and fiction.” Under this reasoning, anyone who uses pastiche and stream-of-consciousness is “experimental” by default, even if they’re emulating books that are nearly a hundred years old.

>>7487218
gl;hf is the only advice i ever wanted or needed
>>
File: 1448526477815.jpg (582 KB, 1400x1692) Image search: [Google]
1448526477815.jpg
582 KB, 1400x1692
>>7488951
You can assert stream of consciousness is pronounced in modernism (Joyce to...now?) but it was used before that and should still be used, just not in the same way as the last hundred years
Most neo prose suggests we'll be using the ol' mashed thoughts with little punctuation for a little while longer, anyway
>>
>>7489144
Or you could do something actually new
>>
>>7487894
This advice is brickwork. Smash your head against it until your skull cracks, seriously.

Reading your work aloud is vital for editing. It was what all of the classical writers did, and I think the reason that most literature now is utter shit is because it isn't read aloud.
>>
>>7489171
>Smash your head against it until your skull cracks
I swear to god there is something especially vivid about this image. I've read people tell people to go fuck themselves on /lit/ for years, but there's something new here, and I can't put my finger on it.
>>
Who was that guy that said "Write drunk, edit sober"?

Do that.
>>
Does anyone know how to write dialogue without it going back and forth with he said, "...". She said "...".
>>
>>7490890
You can break it up by describing the actions they are doing in the meantime or using different words to more accurately say how they're talking but there is no other way to do dialogue.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.