[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to give my friend's kids books for Christmas,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: A1HGWCA36hL[1].jpg (1 MB, 1701x2560) Image search: [Google]
A1HGWCA36hL[1].jpg
1 MB, 1701x2560
So I want to give my friend's kids books for Christmas, /lit/. Last year I gave them pic related. I sort of look back to my childhood and the books I liked reading when I was their ages (7 and 9, now). But I thought I'd ask around for recommendations.

Personally, I was into the classic cannon. The Time Machine, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in 80 Days, Treasure Island, shit like that. People kept giving me crummy "age appropriate" pulp fiction, though, and I always hated it.
>>
The Martian since you already started their metamorphosis into Redditors with Hitchhiker's
>>
>>7485647
What? How do you figure? People have been reading Douglas Adams for, what, sixty years?

I mean, it's not Twilight.
>>
Have you considered Kevin Crossley-Holland's Arthur trilogy? I figure if you think they're old enough for whores, alcohol, and existentialism, then they're probably old enough for bastard sons, sieges, and patricide.

Might be able to grab them on ThriftBooks for ten bucks plus shipping.
>>
>>7485715
Well, I read the Hitchhiker's Guide when I was six or seven. My friends did, too. We just didn't understand the parts about drinking problems away and getting laid.
>>
>>7485631
Start them with the god damned Greeks!
>>
>>7485771
What, Homer? I guess I read Homer when I was younger than they are...
>>
>>7485771
He would first have to teach them ancient greek.
>>
>>7485868
No, he means >>7481089.
>>
>atheist propaganda
>>
>>7485891
...That's not Greek, that's Jewish.
>>
>>7485930
Tell that guy that. He fell for it. Lel
>>
>>7485631
Honestly, Treasure Island and 20,000 Leagues would be best. Time Machine isn't very exciting for kids that young. You might also consider The Phantom Tollbooth, it's the sort of book that's quite clever with its humor, although it might be better to wait until they're older before you have them read it.
>>
>>7485631
No kid want books, get a grip, you've lost toach
>>
>>7485976
I'm getting them toys, too.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.