[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is writing poetry so difficult?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1450642651410.gif (2 MB, 489x263) Image search: [Google]
1450642651410.gif
2 MB, 489x263
Why is writing poetry so difficult?
>>
>>7485363

It isn't
>>
>>7485530
But tit is...
>>
>>7485363
Eddie Gordo?
>>
I opened up a
/lit/ thread
there was an anon asking
questions
about the ease of poetry and I
told
him
all you need
to do is write out any sentence
and press the enter key
between
random words and there you
have a poem

ee cummings, oh what
have ye done to
us
>>
>>7485363

dogs are cool

sometimes they drool

dogs are fun

they can eat a hot dog bun

dogs are great

i rate them eight out of eight
>>
It isn't difficult.

For literature you write what you know or what you want to know. For poetry you write what you feel or want to feel.

Just take a random thing and make it yours.

Maybe we could suggest things to each other and see what we can make of it.
>>
>>7485363
The world is the great destroyer
who welcomes death
What becomes of the man who writes
With his last breath?
Does he fade into the ether
putting to death
The life of lonely ones who had
praised King Macbeth?

Poetry is easy.

Syllables are hard.
>>
Poetry is language distilled to its pure essence. There's no hiding place like there can be in prose.
>>
Essence distilled is language to its pure poetry. Hiding prose in there can be like there's no place.
>>
>>7485363
Because you actually have to understand all the components of how language works to write it competently. With prose use can take advantage of the hamfistedness of prosaic description to hide your lack of understanding.
>>
>>7485619
Please don't shit on Cummings. Freshman Year of Highschool I led a seminar on Anyone Lived in a Pretty How Town; A-.
>>
>>7485749

>shitty poetry is easy

FTFY
>>
Poetry is only hard if you think it should be held to outdated 17th century standard of what makes a poem a poem.

Trying to fit our modern english, our real english, the one that's our time and places into some archaic poetic form it's just not gonna work. It just doesn't make sense for it to.

We're beyond that, or to the side of that, fact is that's not here anymore ya get it.

You gotta work it the right way.

It's like painting a piece of renaissance art work with some new age UV activated paint or some shit. Nah you want a renaissance painting you gotta use their paint or it won't be the same.

ya get it. words are the paint. We use different paints so make art that works with those paints
>>
>>7486071
>Poetry is only hard if you think it should be held to outdated 17th century standard of what makes a poem a poem.
C U R R E N T Y E A R
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.