[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Georges Bataille
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 5-11-15.jpg (900 KB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
5-11-15.jpg
900 KB, 2048x1350
Anything related. Personal thoughts, info about him or his life, etc.

Author of story of the eye, death and sensuality, etc.
>>
>>7484629
I pretend have read him while chatting up girls. If they call me out on not knowing my shit or aren't interested I know that they aren't uneducated and easily impressed by pseuds, in which case they're clearly not my type.
>>
>>7484629
He was between 5'2" and 6'8" tall.

>>7484643
The Story of the Eye is barely a novella, why don't you try actually reading it?
>>
>>7484653
>why don't you try actually reading it?
Because that would defeat the purpose. Did you even read the second sentence?
>>
Well, that's quite a margin, regarding his height...
>>
The Solar Anus is a great (and very short) surrealist piece
>>
Are you familiar with the collection of short films entitled "Solar Anus Cinema"? It's full of bizarre, pretentious allusions to numerous concepts found in most of his work that I've read.
>>
His fiction is uneven, though never without some redeeming value, but what has remained with me most is the way the attention which had to be given to the likes of him, Blanchot et al. (and even worse, onwards, Lacan) emphasises how barren the French landscape had gotten by the second half of the 20th century.
>>
Just read The Solar Anus on The Anarchist Library. The concept of "rotation" inherent in everything makes me wonder if Bataille had these realizations while he was hammered. I like how the prose transforms into almost a strange, carnal parody of The Proverbs of Hell (Blake obviously influenced him; I think he appears in Literature and evil) - "The sea continuously jerks off"...a representation of the perpetuity of the blindly passionate frenzy that exists within our basest inclinations...the "smuttiness" of his writing almost eloquently reflects the sober dread of existential epiphanies akin to those of Sartre's Nausea, if they had been more vehemently visceral...
>>
I feel like the truly transgressive element in his writing is that he used "I" to address all of the fucked up aspects of human nature that he was observing. It just creates a more "disturbing" revelation for me when I read about man's condition outside of purely objective linguistics, perhaps because it really "owns it".
>>
>>7484905
>His fiction is uneven, though never without some redeeming value

This is truth, and I have to admit it even though I like him a lot. I didn't enjoy Ma mère at all, and everybody keeps telling me that it's one of his best. For myself the best fiction works he wrote (from what I read so far, still haven't touched Le bleu du ciel or L'abbé C) are Madame Edwarda and Le morte.

But his books like L'expérience intérieure, Le coupable, Sur Nietzsche are magnificient, it has possibility to blow you away (Bonnefoy spoke greatly about these, and about Blanchot's theory). As well as La part maudite (fucking potlatch!) and Théorie de la religion.
>>
Where did you guys hear about Bataille/ how were you introduced to his writing?
>>
>>7485265
I was looking up 20th century philosophers on Wikipedia, and his body of work seemed right up my alley
>>
>>7484668
Yes. You don't actually do that though.
>>
>>7485315
>I was looking up 20th century philosophers on Wikipedia
>>
"my alley" = your "solar anus"

-Georges Bataille
>>
>>7485324
This was like 5 years ago, but yes, that's how I discovered Bataille.
>>
>>7485323
Then why would it be weird if I haven't read him?
>>
>>7484629
Only thing I've read by him is Story of the Eye and I enjoyed it
Masturbated to the scene where she fucked the priest guy while he was being strangled to death. Not joking.
Should I read The Solar Anus next?
>>
yeah, some of it got me off, too.
and yeah, the solar anus is really short. google the solar anus the anarchist library.
>>
>>7485369
thanks
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.